084 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTSIO520

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got this saw at auction don't know much about it but it doesn't seem to be pumping much oil out of it just a little and the oiler is cranked up all the way any ideas on where i should start looking figured a saw this size should be spiling oil like the exon Valdez

Alright so I drained the oil looked at the tip of the pickup tube it looked great no obstructions took of the clutch and the gears look great i guess I'm looking at replacing the oil pump how do i replace that do i have to split the case?

Alright so I drained the oil looked at the tip of the pickup tube it looked great no obstructions took of the clutch and the gears look great i guess I'm looking at replacing the oil pump how do i replace that do i have to split the case?
Check your Inbox for some 084 docs - IPL and shop manual. Should help you track down the problem.

Yes the 084 should pump gobs.
Spring is probably spinning on the worm gear or it's melted.
Or the strainer is clogged with sawdust or someone used way too thick oil as bar oil. I know a guy who uses axle gear lube in the summer. Nasty smelling crap.

i used axle oil sometime back, surprisingly it clings on the bar alot better
but it stinks like crap, i hate it when it gets on my pants lol

I know this sounds remedial, but make sure your oiler gear tang is actually engaging the sprocket groove, and is being pulled as the sprocket rotates.
Sometimes the tang looks fine, but if it wears enough, the outer tip will break off clean.

The way I verify oil output on saws before I start them, Is to spin a Dremel 502 or 503 flap wheel against the outside of the sprocket drum, and spin the sprocket up by until it starts weeping out the output hole, ( with the bar off ) obviously......

Another thing worth mentioning is that sometimes I've seen bars on saws that people have used a grinder or drill on to make them "fit" a saw, and the oiler hole doesn't always line up.

Possibly- just make sure it engages in the slot in the clutch drum. If it's not long enough to engage, you may need a new one. Luckily that's a relatively cheap part.

It looks like it's engaged just enough none of it is really sticking out of the drum the first picture is the tab and drum

The way the sawdust is packed in there around the bar plate, I bet @westcoaster90 is right about the output tube being plugged up.
I'd pull the pump access cover off, pull the pump off and see if the hole is plugged.

:eek: A quick blast of compressed air would probably shoot a wad across the room.

Put it all back together made sure the tang was in the drum fired it up still just ozzes out really doesn't flow and it doesn't sling oil of the 36" chain I'll be tearing it down this weekend looking for anything clogged but I'm thinking it's going to need a new oiler with that in mind i looked and eBay offers a repair kit is that what i need or should i just track down a new oiler?

Back