084 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowbeard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Firstly: I blew up my first 084 a couple of weeks ago. I was milling and the weather was really hot and I suspect she ran lean and welded up - just stopped in the middle of the job and the inside of the piston/cylinder is all scored. So I need to get that saw re-built.

Oddly enough, I can still get the cylinder and piston from Stihl. Should I get that or a Cross performance part (or something else). Cross and Stihl are close to the same price (actually the Stihl part is a bit cheaper). Also, anyone on here really great at doing this for a reasonable price? I thought about doing it myself but I just don't have the time what with school starting. I suppose I want someone to go through the whole thing and do a complete re-build where necessary. Waiting to hear back from my local mechanic about this but a complete and total re-build may not be something he wants to do. If you're interested, please give me an idea of what this will cost (with the understanding that we don't know what's going to happen until you get in there).

Second question is about my other 084. I was running it today and took the cover off to check the air intake and wasn't sure I liked what I saw, which is this:

IMG_6993.JPG IMG_6994.JPG IMG_6995.JPG IMG_6996.JPG IMG_6997.JPG

Surely that can't be all there is to the air cleaner and something is missing, right? It just seems like there's a hell of a lot of dust getting into the carb and I can't see how that's OK. Can someone advise? I'd just as soon not blow up a second one.

Thanks!

Actually, hot/humid weather makes a saw run richer. Be sure to check everything out good during the re-build, including crank seals.

See? This is why I think I want to let someone else handle it. Figure there's a lot of stuff I'll miss. I don't have a good bench or anywhere to work on it. While I'm not scared of doing mechanical stuff (I re-built a car in high school) I don't want to end up with a pile of junk or something. Then again... Hmmm... My room is right next to the shop at school. Maybe I could re-build it there with some help from the shop teacher. Now there's a thought.

Let's see a pic of that cylinder. Might be salvageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'd be a start but the most damage is probably on the exhaust side.

Yeah - don't know what you'll be able to tell from these (of course, you're clearly more expert than I). Really all you can see is the piston and (lack of?) rings. How hard is it to remove the cylinder so I could get a good look inside?

IMG_6998.JPG IMG_6999.JPG IMG_7001.JPG IMG_7002.JPG IMG_7003.JPG IMG_7004.JPG IMG_7005.JPG

Actually, hot/humid weather makes a saw run richer. Be sure to check everything out good during the re-build, including crank seals.

Wow. I just looked at a bunch of the stuff you've posted (including the ported 084). I would say I should ask you to rebuild it but I expect you're, uh,... well, maybe out of the price range of what the saw is worth. ;)

So I guess the cylinder on these can be successfully honed?

Not really honed but sanded for sure. As long as there are no gouges or plating missing. Wont know for sure until you get the cylinder off. Easy enough job. All you need is t27 screwdriver and 10 min. Take the cover and muffler off. Undue the 4 stews holding the cylinder on and pull it off. Make sure you blow the saw off first to prevent as much crud as possible from falling into the case.
I'd recommend you fix it yourself. With those two big saws and as much as your milling I'd encourage you to learn as much as possible about working on chainsaws. Plenty of help and resources on here along the way.

The oem piston and cylinder kit cost a little over 400.00.
If you can still find a kit. Stihl was suppose to stop production on the cylinder at the end of 2014 or 15.
The cross kit is under 200.00 most places.
As far as your filter you need a filter base that used the hd1 or 2.
That's the style of base I have on my 084 but I use a oil foam element max air kit.
Milling is fine dust and it will kill a saw fast with that style of filter.
There's members in Arkansas that will probably be able to help but shipping that pig is going to add up quick.

The oem piston and cylinder kit cost a little over 400.00.
If you can still find a kit. Stihl was suppose to stop production on the cylinder at the end of 2014 or 15.
The cross kit is under 200.00 most places.
As far as your filter you need a filter base that used the hd1 or 2.
That's the style of base I have on my 084 but I use a oil foam element max air kit.
Milling is fine dust and it will kill a saw fast with that style of filter.
There's members in Arkansas that will probably be able to help but shipping that pig is going to add up quick.

Those are great points. Shipping back and forth will add at least a bill to the repair.
I would always recommend OEM if possible. I'd be willing to bet the cylinder is salvageable. OEM piston will be 80-90$
Since your milling upgrading the air filter is highly recommended if not necessary.
Of course you still have to find what went wrong in the first place. I'd start by examining the fuel system and a vacuum/pressure test to see if you have an air leak

Those wire mesh AFs are POS unless you are working in the artic and even then will let fines through. Get a flocked filter.

Ordered. Hopefully it will show up today. Thanks for the advice. Can anyone link to the parts I need to switch to an HD1 or HD2 filter base? Alternately, does anyone have those parts on offer? Is this just something I can bolt on to the existing carb?

You'll need the air filter base, cover and associated parts.
99e11169775053b20817ef15576c6bc0.png

aeec6497db9d752e05e12819615ac30d.png

You may want to post a wanted ad in the post here. 084 Parts are hard to find and I didn't see anything on eBay.

You'll need the air filter base, cover and associated parts.
You may want to post a wanted ad in the post here. 084 Parts are hard to find and I didn't see anything on eBay.

Thanks. I guess the cover would be supplied with the maxflo system so all I need is the base, etc. I'll look into that.

Latest posts

Back