090 for $500.00

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup... it's got a hole in the piston from being ran too lean.
this means liner could be wasted too.

if someone has an extra P&L set hanging around?

Yep hole in piston, but I just got off the phone with the guy and I bought it. He mentioned talking to some one in Texas must have been Traveler. I get to pick it up in couple hours. I'll keep you guys posted.

yup... it's got a hole in the piston from being ran too lean.
this means liner could be wasted too.

if someone has an extra P&L set hanging around?

I have an extra new OEM piston and a jug off a competition saw from the 70's that was modded by a famous pro builder from Michigan.

Hole in piston could also be cause by slipped flywheel. Moving the timing. Pre-detonation. Yes ,no? That is just a swag.

seller stated hole was from running saw too lean. this could mean other damage by heat.

Here it is

This is the saw. I picked it up this afternoon. Saws in nice shape other than the topend. Things noted so far are 1 broken recoil fin, broken or rigged choke pull, missing louvers on the muffler. I' sure there will be more, but over all I'm pleased with the purchase. Piston does not have a hole in it as stated but is scored. Cylinder is scored but most likely salvagable. Heres some pics

That looks fairly good. It ought to make a clean runner after you get a new piston in it and make sure the fuel system is good to go. You might also swap out the seals while you're in there.

They guy i got it from cleaned the carb and replaced the line from the elbow to the carb. He said the line the tank and filter looked new. But i suspect those are some of the problems. Cheaper to fix now than blowing it up again. Seals will be done also. Saw should clean up really nice.

from the pics that cylinder looks borderline but if you are good at it you probably could clean it up and use it btw 500 is a steal for a Stihl

glad the 090 turned out better than expected.... seller told me he used a bore scope, found a hole.

Back