1/3 rule

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That description of the barber chair is right on.

The two ways to avoid them would be 1) use the bore cut method and trip the tree from the backside. 2) if it is not leaning too bad, just stay in the cut for a little longer as the tree goes so you can cut as much as the hinge off as is safe, never cut it all off, then get the heck out. This method takes a lot more experience to get the feel for it, type of tree being cut plays a big factor in this too.

great explanation and pic.

the fancy words, engineering explanation: When the wood fails in shear instead of bending. If you bend a stack of paper, say a phone book, the pages slide on each other. That is shear. Each page is in bending, but the pages slide against each other in shear.

With a heavy moment, heavy lean, especially with thick hinge. The fibers fail in shear up and down instead of bending over like a hinge should work.

Oh what the heck, I am a glutton for punishment, I'll stay a while.

On the barber chair aspect of things, temperature plays a big role. Where I am from we drop a lot of trees in the winter. Get into some Red Oak below zero and it will define barber chair. It gets pretty hairy. You guys from up north know what I'm talking about.

Latest posts

Back