1 burning bush dead in a group

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnaggie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what would cause 1 burning bush in a row of 8 to die. the site is known for mite problems, but all others in the row look quite healthy. there is not really a drainage problem. there wasnt even gradual deterioration. they were sheared fairly aggressively last fall.

thanks

Is the lawn treated with liquid herbicides? I've seen one plant in a row go from the applicator slinging just a little too hard on a pass.

How about rodent damage from the winter?

There might be a problem with how it was originally planted. I've seen synthetic twin girdle a tree, problems with planting depth, or just terrible soil conditions.
Look at the base and the roots, when you pull it out, for clues.
In my area, two years ago, I saw Burning Bushes dying all over the place. Some died back half way or more, others died completely. It looked like a fungal disease to me, but I never tested any samples. Being a tree guy, bushes don't get the expensive diagnosis protocol.
I have not seen this before or since.
Is this bush susceptible to Verticillium wilt?

My vote goes with JPS and even more to the twine around the base of the plant. It's easy to miss a strand of synthetic left over from the B&B. It could easily cause death within a year.

Burning bush

Possible vert. wilt......i saw a burning bush today infested with borers....the past drought is starting to show its face around here...borers, wilts, fungi...........

Back