100 yr + Old Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peace2008

Reaction score
BBBEAE17-EFEC-4519-8DD6-6904E1047432.jpegThis is a giant and old oak tree. There are dead leaves all over it. Is it dying?

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. The weather has been pretty normal. There was a couple of weeks when it didn’t rain in July. It has t been too hot. There’s a second oak tree about the same age and it only has a few of the dead leaves, unlike this one with tons on them. I guess it could be lack of enough water but I thought someone might know something from the picture.

A close up of the stems close to the dead leaves would be helpful.
Del’s suggestions are a possibility as well as the previous suggestion of Cicada damage.
Neither are generally fatal but aesthetic.

I have to go with Del and the girdler. I believe cicada damage would be much more severe. Then there is the OP's statement that the other tree had very little damage. Maybe the OP would know if there were cicadas in the area. JMHO :cool: OT
Cicada damage:
1660652189589.png

Thanks so much for the reply’s and the help. It is odd how the oak in the picture is covered in dead leaves and there’s another oak like 50 feet away and it isn’t covered in them. I did see one cicada shell on the porch below the tree but haven’t looked for more. Maybe it’s twig insects as well as cicada. The lilac bushes all have had dead leaves too but I thought that the weed killer spray along the roads had drifted into the yard. Probably not I guess. TY. This picture is of a lilac leaf dead.

Attachments

• F2D4F519-6E64-4B6E-9D23-240DA3AB3A88.jpeg
    F2D4F519-6E64-4B6E-9D23-240DA3AB3A88.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back