10mm husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Tree Stuff - All Gear Husky Pink Rope

Anyone use this before? I sold two tulip removals today and they are pretty dam tall. I am honestly thinking that my 200foot 1/2 isnt gonna get it. I wouldnt be taking anything very heavy or when I do I would be low enough to switch to a larger rope. I would prefer to just not mess with tying two ropes together because of the porta wrap. Does anyone know if this rope is ok to grip n let run as needed considering its small diameter? I assume it runs through a porty nicely. I am thinking about getting 250ft. I am thinking I like the cost of this line considering I wont need it very often but when I do I may appreciate the light weight.

If this is a one off for you, You can always rig the top out yourself, in the tree... that means you only need half as much rope. I do a lot of in tree rigging on smaller jobs because you often end up a bit under crewed on small stuff. If there are only a few pieces that need rigging I'll rig them myself in the tree which frees up the ground guys for dragging and chipping.

If it's a regular thing, then you're better off just getting a big bull rope. 1/2" isn't enough, minimum 9/16" for light to medium rigging. I have a short 9/16" rope I use mostly with a porty on smaller trees, and a much longer 3/4" I use on most of the big stuff. I think it's about 250' from memory. I don't coil it, it's flaked into a basket and gets used mostly with the friction drum. I had a huge 7/8" double esterlon last year, that thing weight a tonne! I can't remember how long it was, but well over 200'. It was almost a mission for one man to carry it. It only ever got broke out for the biggest trees. I'd usually rig a haul line up in those bigger trees - just a 10mm kernmantle static on a light pulley. That line was used for the ground crew to haul things up to me that I needed - rigging, ropes, pulleys, saws. I'd usually set a climb line from the ground, get up in the tree and set the haul line. Then they'd send me up a shorter rope to work off, whatever rigging and pulleys, and that big bull line, and then whatever saws I needed.

I rarely do bigger trees any more, so I sold the rope off. I don't think weight is much of a factor in a lowering rope. You never have to lift it.

Shaun

Personally, if I am 100+ feet up a tree I am not not messing around with roping stuff myself. But thats just me. I suppose I could use a 1/2 inch through a block and have my groundie pull up a 5/8 or bigger rope there by avoiding the weight. But keep in mind I am roping small limbs. theres no room for big stuff. That 10mm is more than strong enough for what I want to do. Although I am guessing spending a little extra for a bigger rope is probably the better choice in the long run. 250ft of 9/16 could be very useful in the future. The only reason I am concerned about weight is because of my aching shoulders and I also have some arthritis in my wrists/thumbs. kinda hurts and every bit of weight I can avoid helps. I would have never cared about the weight of 5/8+ ropes when I was in my late 20s n 30s.

Tree Stuff - All Gear Husky Pink Rope

Anyone use this before? I sold two tulip removals today and they are pretty dam tall. I am honestly thinking that my 200foot 1/2 isnt gonna get it. I wouldnt be taking anything very heavy or when I do I would be low enough to switch to a larger rope. I would prefer to just not mess with tying two ropes together because of the porta wrap. Does anyone know if this rope is ok to grip n let run as needed considering its small diameter? I assume it runs through a porty nicely. I am thinking about getting 250ft. I am thinking I like the cost of this line considering I wont need it very often but when I do I may appreciate the light weight.

To answer the specifics of your question, Ace, I have never used Huskies 3/8 line, But have used their 5/8 and 3/4 bullropes almost exclusively for years, and think they make an excellent product that performs well, wears like iron, and is very reasonably priced. As to what you propose, you've been around the block, I know you know how to estimate limb weight and not overload a rope. Personally, I'm with shaun, on big trees I'm at the point where I get that messenger line set up and let the groundies get in on the fun.
Just one other thought, though, for any limb I'd trust that line on, who needs a portawrap? And if that's the case, go ahead and tie the two half inchers together and save some money. Be safe, Jeff

You may be surprised at how little load you can put on a rope and still stay within the safe working load for that size of rope. With the 10mm husky rope you linked to, given its 5,000lb breaking strain, you can only rig branches (with foliage) safely at a size of about 200lbs, or logs at about 100lbs. Stepping up to 9/16" takes the numbers up to around 500lb branches, or 250lb logs. Those are real world safety numbers to keep you out of trouble. If you start pushing the limit, the cycles to failure on your rope will decrease. Those numbers are also for using good rigging practices like using pulleys instead of natural crotching etc. If you use your ropes hard, they will lose a lot of their strength in a short period of time.

Check out post #9 in this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/arborist-101/212035.htm

for a breakdown of the numbers on loads and forces in rigging, there's a link in that same post to some very comprehensive test data on rigging also.

Nothing personal mate, but if it was getting to the point where I couldn't haul appropriate rigging to rig a tree out properly, I'd be looking at ramping my career down a little and doing smaller stuff. I'm in my 30's now, and I've already given up on doing big trees, unless there's big money in them which there never is. I found I make just as much off the small stuff, and I'm hoping to not have my body falling apart by the time I'm in my 50's.

Shaun

Thanks for the info. I guess I will pass on the 10mm. It would be wiser to spend a little more money and get a much more useful rope. It was kinda a good idea in some ways though. As for big trees, I been trying to stay away from them myself but they keep finding me. These trees really aren't that big but they are def tall. And the money is there so it's on. Would be a nice job for a wraptor. As for aches n pains, well,I am 43 and I hope to still be climbing into my early 50s. I am starting to wonder if that's not wishful thinking. I prolly should a thought more about it sooner n stayed clear of so much physical work. But then again I do what I love n it comes at a price I guess to some extent.

The main take-a-way from this thread is NEVER use a static rope for lowering.

MY BAD, I was thinking of a different rope, this is not a static line.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back