13 inch .325, how many links for EA4300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatherwheels

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Found a bar to suit my saw, Oregon 130MLBK041 Pro Lite ,
it takes 95-VPX .325 chain.
It’s going on a Makita EA4300 / Dolmar 421,
Does anybody know how many links I require.

Thanks

It should be stamped on the bar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Bar not in stock, order only, so no idea what links,
The Stihl dealer only has RS .325, which is 56 links,
but am lead to believe the Stihl bar does not measure
the same length as the Oregon, so not sure if 56 links will fit the Oregon bar.

Not even sure the bar I need for the EA4300 is Ko41 mount, only going
by what a local guy says.

Ok, used the Oregon product selector,
Looked under Dolmar 420, 13 inch bar, .325 , .50 ,
and found the bar is indeed K041 mount , 130MLBK041
and VPX chain has been replaced by TXL , and that 56 links
fits the 13 inch .325 bar.

Makitas are .325, as far as i have seen. Boo.?

My Dolmar 420 is small 3/8

I want another one. I will probably have to settle for a Makita. Then I will probably have to switch it to the smaller chain..

Makitas are .325, as far as i have seen. Boo.?

My Dolmar 420 is small 3/8

I want another one. I will probably have to settle for a Makita. Then I will probably have to switch it to the smaller chain..
Have you ever compared the 420 to a Stihl 251, think the Stihl is known as a 250 in places.
Father has one and it really cuts well, 18inch bar with .325 RM chain, came from the States.

If a 420 / 4300 could cut like that 251 I would be well impressed.

As a matter of fact I have compared two 250's to my 420. At the same time in the same log.

There is no comparison, really. Imo. Keep in mind my saw has lopro andboth 250's had .325

The 420 is far, far smoother and more powerful (torquier) and simply a much better built tool.

That being said the ms250 is no slouch when tuned correctly. I think small 3/8 would make it better.

Given a choice I wouldnt even give the 250 a second look. I would buy one only if it came really cheap for a clean one.

As a matter of fact I have compared two 250's to my 420. At the same time in the same log.

There is no comparison, really. Imo. Keep in mind my saw has lopro andboth 250's had .325

The 420 is far, far smoother and more powerful (torquier) and simply a much better built tool.

That being said the ms250 is no slouch when tuned correctly. I think small 3/8 would make it better.

Given a choice I wouldnt even give the 250 a second look. I would buy one only if it came really cheap for a clean one.
Your 420 must be well tuned then, can’t wait to get a resolution from the seller
and get up and running.
That 3/8 lp chain would make a good difference too, that’s why I jumped on
option to get one, sadly seller sent me wrong setup, hoping to resolve this soon.

Ok, used the Oregon product selector,
Looked under Dolmar 420, 13 inch bar, .325 , .50 ,
and found the bar is indeed K041 mount , 130MLBK041
and VPX chain has been replaced by TXL , and that 56 links
fits the 13 inch .325 bar.

You are likely going to be pleasantly surprised with the setup. The different sizes can be confusing, and some don't know about .325 NK chain (called pixel sometimes, which can be confused with lp pixel or picco or...). Don't think Stihl has such a chain that is sized between lp and full .325.

The rakers on new txl are set pretty aggressive. It may become smoother when cutting hardwood after you sharpen it a couple times on a 43cc saw. Then decide on where to set the rakers.

Good luck and remember it is a non safety chain.

The rakers on new txl are set pretty aggressive. It may become smoother when cutting hardwood after you sharpen it a couple times on a 43cc saw. Then decide on where to set the rakers.

Good luck and remember it is a non safety chain.
I already experienced the raker issue on a 91-vxl, from new it cut great on
softwood, but transverse cuts were impossible, it would catch instantly and
no amount of coaxing would help, but as soon as I sharpened it transverse
cuts were fine, never had this problem with regular .325.

If I do end up with .325, I hope the bar in the image I posted is actually
narrow kerf, I don’t see it marked so, but the chain supplied with it is definitely
marked 95-VP, which is the old version nk chain.

I think Stihl PS would be similar to TXL, but it is full chisel and TXL is semi.

I think Stihl PS would be similar to TXL, but it is full chisel and TXL is semi.

PS is a low profile 3/8 (3/8 lp - short tooth) used on small saws

NK is standard height .325 with a narrow cutter. Used on 40 - 50 cc saws.

Back