Looking for a new bar Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerkinsPowered

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The original ‘’makita’’ bar is way too soft, and i want another one. Besides i think the 3/8 rim suits this saw very well.

I have a cannon supermini 15’’ 325 on my HQ350, but as far as i can see this bar will also fit the Dolmar, except of the small oiler hole. The hole for the adjusting screw lies right over the oiler but has no opening inside the bar, such as the makita bar, so i think the oiler on the 421 will not work with this bar..?

Will This sugihara bar fit my dolmar?
https://www.sugiharabarsuk.co.uk/pr...ara-15-light-type-pro-3-8-058-56-drive-links/

That link is for a full size 3/8 which is called for saws in the range of 50 to 100 cc if I recall, at least Oregon. Your saw is 42cc.

The 420 or 421 or 350 or 351 use an Oregon code 041 bar mount. The Husqvarna 36 uses that mount but not the 338. With a bit effort the 041 and 095 can be made to be interchangeable, I think the Cannon is a combination mount. Might have to make a notch on the bar to get the oil to connect with the side input but that is a bit different front back but seems to work for me. Might have to plug the central portion of the unused adjuster hole or plug the whole thing as often the oil can escape into the clutch cover.

Looks like some of the bars on that site have a combination mount to fit Stihl small saws and Husqvarna small saws.

That drive sprocket is for 3/8 lp not the chain type for the bar linked in post 1.

Take that bar from the picture and put it up against the clutch cover. That has larger adjuster holes that are closer to the slot than the original bar for your 421. There might be a way the oil can escape into the clutch cover.

There is 3/8 drive sprocket on the saw and i’m lookin for 3/8 bar. The cannon bar is 325, and i use it on my HQ 350. -but it has replacable nose sprocket..

There is 3/8lp and full size 3/8. The drive links are smaller for the kind that spur drive on the picture and what Dolmar/Makita use for that saw family.

You typed "Besides i think the 3/8 rim suits this saw very well." If you convert over to a rim drive then it should have the larger drive link but smaller diameter sprocket for full sized 3/8. Note wandering around that Sugi Hara site you linked to some of the bars are 3/8 and some 3/8lp. No 3/8lp have 0.058 gauge drive links.

I got a plain jane Oregon 16" bar and chain combo on clearance($10) for mine.

Kind of wanted a pro-lite and vxl though.

Any recommendations? Other bars?
Are you set on using 3/8LP on it? Tsumura makes a nice .325 bar for this mount. You can use a clutch drum from a Dolmar 5105 along with a thin shim and use a .325 rim sprocket.
https://performance-outdoor-equipme...super-light-and-tough-16-325-050-k041-t088zk2
If not, Maruyama specs their MCV42 with .325. It’s the same saw, and you could get the spur from that saw and install on yours. It’s a Dolmar part after all.

Tsumura also makes a 16” 3/8”LP bar for this mount. Not sure how to find them in Europe, but I’m sure it’s possible.
https://performance-outdoor-equipme...ducts/total-2-bar-t677ml3-x-14-3-8lp-050-57dl

The bars were called Total over here for a while, but the part number is the same as Tsumura uses.

You can also get another Cannon Super Mini in 3/8LP. I have a new one, and it fits A041 Mount, which is what you have, as well as K095 which is on your Husky 350.

K041 Mount is the same as A041 when you look at them. The only difference is that K041 is .325 and A041 is 3/8”LP.

Where in Norway are you? I’m from Norway too, but have lived in the US for a while now.

Are you set on using 3/8LP on it? Tsumura makes a nice .325 bar for this mount. You can use a clutch drum from a Dolmar 5105 along with a thin shim and use a .325 rim sprocket.
https://performance-outdoor-equipme...super-light-and-tough-16-325-050-k041-t088zk2
If not, Maruyama specs their MCV42 with .325. It’s the same saw, and you could get the spur from that saw and install on yours. It’s a Dolmar part after all.

Tsumura also makes a 16” 3/8”LP bar for this mount. Not sure how to find them in Europe, but I’m sure it’s possible.
https://performance-outdoor-equipme...ducts/total-2-bar-t677ml3-x-14-3-8lp-050-57dl

The bars were called Total over here for a while, but the part number is the same as Tsumura uses.

You can also get another Cannon Super Mini in 3/8LP. I have a new one, and it fits A041 Mount, which is what you have, as well as K095 which is on your Husky 350.

K041 Mount is the same as A041 when you look at them. The only difference is that K041 is .325 and A041 is 3/8”LP.

Where in Norway are you? I’m from Norway too, but have lived in the US for a while now.

Ok! I think the dolmar 420 is delivered with 325 here in Norway. - this is probably the same as maruyama use.? I bought a masterminded version from the states..
I dont need to use 3/8 LP does tsumura have 15’’ bars? -is cannon super mini about the same weight as tsumura?
Do you have a link where to buy the cannon super mini 3/8?

I live in oppland. Where do you come from?

- Do you think your dolmar is oiling the chain on your super mini well? - It looks like the oil will go outside the bar and into the cluth cover, since it has no opening inside the adjuster hole..?

Ok! I think the dolmar 420 is delivered with 325 here in Norway. - this is probably the same as maruyama use.? I bought a masterminded version from the states..
I dont need to use 3/8 LP does tsumura have 15’’ bars? -is cannon super mini about the same weight as tsumura?
Do you have a link where to buy the cannon super mini 3/8?

I live in oppland. Where do you come from?
I’m from Telemark, but have lived over here for 13 years now.

I’m not sure if Tsumura makes a 15” bar. All we see here is 14” or 16”. At least to my knowledge. Same with the Cannon bars, although they’ll make whatever you want. I can’t find anyone who has the Super Mini in stock, but I can look around a little if you want.
I know a few guys who sell them. Maybe they can give me an ETA on when they’ll be available. What you’re looking for is a Cannon Super Mini with their C1 mount. It’s a universal small mount.
What you have now sounds like an H1 mount, which is why it doesn’t fit the Dolmar but fits your 350. The C1 mount fits both saws.

I bet the Maruyama and the Dolmar 420 uses the same part. The Maruyama clutch drum has the Dolmar logo on it.

That’s a very nice little saw you have there. I know Randy and he does top notch work.

As far as weight goes, the Cannon bars are not very light, but they are very durable. The Tsumura in the link I put up in the last post is a reduced weight, but it’s only a little lighter than regular bars. They are both very nice bars, though, and you can’t go wrong with either one.

If you’d like to get the Tsumura .325 I posted, I’d be more than happy to help you get it to Norway. I buy parts from them quite regularly, and I can include it on an order and ship it to you.
If you’d like for me to look for a Cannon Super Mini, in either 3/8”LP or .325 with a C1 mount, I’m happy to help you with that as well.

PM me, and we’ll work it all out.

- Do you think your dolmar is oiling the chain on your super mini well? - It looks like the oil will go outside the bar and into the cluth cover, since it has no opening inside the adjuster hole..?
The bar you have doesn’t have the correct oiler configuration, but can probably be modified to work with your saw. You would need to drill a channel for it to oil through the bar adjuster hole. Look up converting a bar from K095 to K041 or A041. You’ll see it.

It’s a neat little saw, and i like it a lot with that extra power. The one thing disliked was the throttle lock. It had to be all way down for the throttle to work.
- This was easy to fix with a file.

The one bad thing about the 421 is that, apparently, from what I have read, the clutch cover is easily broken.
I know mine had a chunk out of it when I bought it.

And although it is compact in some ways, it's still a little chunky.

But I like it. And dang sure is easy to start, and it rips.

Very solid feeling saw.

Back