142 tossin chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
maybe its just a fluke im not sure yet. the last 2 times i used the 142 it threw the chain. threw the first one a couple weeks ago. first time that ever happened to me. i kinda brushed it off as whatever. today i used it a bit more then i changed the chain. it was kinda done so i tightened it up cut a few logs up with it, checked the tension it was fine. after a bit i started it again cut another log then the threw the chain again. this time the drive links got burred up (on the sprocket i imagine.) so i out the old chain back on. i only used it a very little bit on from that point.

anyway ciuld it just be a fluke or is there something i should looks for? the saw has very low hours on it. im pretty anal about the tightness of my chains so i know for sure it wasnt loose. any ideas? thanks, Mike

only thing I can think of would be the bearing in the clutch hub going bad, and allowing the bell to turn/cock sideways which would allow the chain come off, especially if it's tight or too tight....with the chain off how much play is in the clutch? it should spin nicely without too much radial movement..

I have the 142's little brother, a 137 (got free with the splitter I bought). It too has also thrown chains, and yes the chain guides get burred up and wont fit on the bar until I file them down. Mostly this has happened when cutting small branches or brush around tree I want to cut up, not the actual tree itself. I have learned to keep the chain tighter than I normally would on my other larger saw (044). And it seems to help.

I also have the 142. I downed a few cherry trees a month ago and threw the chain 2x. Like you it was the first time I have ever done it. I am going out tomorrow to cut down a few trees for a friend of a friend, I will make sure I keep a closer eye on the tension(if that was even the problem that I had)

Josh

I have a Poulan and Craftsman and they will both throw chains from time to time. Usually in the small brush where I branch grabs the chain.

I only mention this because your 142 is basically a Poulan in orange.

I think it has to do with the chain stretching during the course of the cut(s) and then you get to some small stuff that will knock it off. I dont know what chain it came with other then a "91" LP type. I have a PP260 that couldnt seem to keep the chain on. I picked it up at a pawnshop pretty reasonably and the chain guard on the bottom showed ALOT of wear but the rest of the saw seemed in decent enough shape. That original chain, 91VX, was the culprit. At least that is what I attribute it to. I did change the angle of the cutters from 30 to 25 degrees to reduce sideloading the chain, twisting it between cutters and it helped. Might have been that and the worn sprocket. New sprocket went on with that chain and the sprocket disentigrated within a few minutes going through some BlackJack Oak. I wasn't going to risk another new sprocket to that chain so it was a new set and it hasnt jumpd off since. Good thing too, the chain guard might last one more go of the chain coming off at full throttle.

It might just be me but I think the 91 chain stretches quicker when ground at 30 degrees then it does when ground at 25. Just a thought. After seeing one broken, on a smaller saw, ground at 32 I'm sticking with 25 for my grind.

Been running an MS310 lately that seems like it is going to go the distance for my wood cutting.

I had a Craftsman throw on me a couple years ago. Tightened and tensioned just to have it get tossed again. Haven't touched it since. If it were a better saw, I'd have done more investigating. I'll remember this thread if I ever get around to tinkering with the saw again.

You probably already have, but check the bar to start.

Pull the bar make sure its straight, not bent or twisted. I check mine on an old surface plate, but any clean and flat surface will work. Clean out the groove be sure to get all the gunk out. I use an old dental pick because it will get all the crap in the bottom corners of the slot. Never know what you'll dig out of there. Use a feeler gauge to check the width of the entire slot for any points where the bar may be pinched.

Check both chains for stuck drive links. Each drive link should be free and rotate on its pins.

Was the saw pulling to or trying to pull to one side in the cut prior the chain jumping? If so one side is biting harder than the other and a good sharpening including raker maintenance is in order. Trying to force a chain to cut straight when it wants to "walk" will make them jump.

Chains often jump when trimming out small stuff as the limb gives way and starts to turn during the cut derailing the chain in the process.

One last piece, probably not what you want to hear, once a chain has been thrown I have had very little success making it run true again. Usually one or more of the drive links is bent and they just keep jumping. Usually save them and eventually have the local dealer make one good out of two. In the case of your 142 may just want to order a couple new chains.

Good Luck and Take Care

thanks for the tips guys. just before dark tonight i took the 142 and the 455 bars and chains off. cleaned the bars, clutch covers. i diodnt see anythign out of the ordinary. cleaned out the bars real good with air. i didnt check the 142s bar on anything flat. ill do that hopefully before the next time out. put new chains on each saw and got em ready to go. the 455 will go no problem. only thing that kinda pisses me off on that saw is it starts like #### when its hot. ill have to bring it to the dealer as its still warranied. i assume its just a carb adjustment.

on a side note i ordered 3 chains for each saw a while back from baileys the woodland pro ones. great chains so far but one of the ones i got for the 142 is twisted one part of the drive link wont fit in the bar groove. i though ok my bars junk then i tried another new chain and it fit right in. now can i twist the chain so it will fit or is it junk? the woodland pro chains are like 10 bucks so i would imagine theyre gonna let a few badm ones seep through the cracks.

My first chainsaw 142 did that samething. I took it back and got my money back. I was scare for my safety. I paid the $170 difference and bought me a ms290.

Back