$150 fuel line replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely buy new parts at my local dealers.

One of the main reasons is some the BS diagnoses, shop policies, & repair quotes that I've overheard.

It's not fair to the honest dealerships, and some most certainly are fair, but in many cases "stealership" is an accurate description.

Only one guess per post, I guess.............

Just thought it would be a fun thing to do.

Lambert used to call me at 3:00 a.m. to play "Guess this saw!" over the phone.

There is a shop near me (major brand) that does not do compression checks, they don't own a gauge, I have asked twice in the last year and got the same answer, not sure I would take my saw or equipment there.
Am not sure what they do for testing, afraid to ask!!!
Nothing there is cheap either!!
I guess these type need to make a living!!!
Another reason I do all my own work.

I believe you will find that very few experienced techs doing daily repairs use a comp tester on a chainsaw. Actually I would question a tech that said he needed to get a comp reading before a repair as I would know he had very little experience in the real world. A good one could tell if something was not right just by feel when pulling the saw over.

Outboard motors with multiple cylinders, you bet, use the tester, even with lawnmowers in some situations. But with handheld products it is a waste of time unless you are in the hotsaw business I suppose.

I believe you will find that very few experienced techs doing daily repairs use a comp tester on a chainsaw. Actually I would question a tech that said he needed to get a comp reading before a repair as I would know he had very little experience in the real world. A good one could tell if something was not right just by feel when pulling the saw over.

In the real world compression testers are needed to get a baseline for where to start. I cant just pull over a saw in front of a customer and diagnose the saw. A compression tester is just one of the many tools I use, and it gives a quick idea about the condition of the saw. A sticking/binding recoil spring can make an 026 feel like it has 300lb of compression.

Question I have is why did'nt you just change line and filter yourself. Why go to the dealer then figure out problem yourself and fix it.:monkey:

I just bought an 026 for $40 that the dealer told the guy wasn't worth fixing. Scored piston, two little spots of aluminum transfer on the jug.

$40 piston from Baileys, not worth fixing?

Anyway, the guy bought a new saw, so the dealer got what he wanted, and I got a good saw for cheap.

I did. I also started 3rd shift last week and have felt brain dead every since. This is just a little more proof that what I've been feeling is true lol.

It was a saw i took in on trade.
dealer wanted $150 to replace the carb..
was not the problem,new fuel line and it runs fine..
told the guy didnt need a new carb but he bought the saw new in 1984 a wanted a bigger nicer looking one.
good for you having a job anyway man..

I just bought an 026 for $40 that the dealer told the guy wasn't worth fixing. Scored piston, two little spots of aluminum transfer on the jug.

$40 piston from Baileys, not worth fixing?

Anyway, the guy bought a new saw, so the dealer got what he wanted, and I got a good saw for cheap.

Thats the thing Cris,dealers have to do the whole p&c thing and with oem..add that cost and labor and the price is not worth it.
in this case it was ignorance or stupidity or greed,or not knowing on the dealers part.

Truth be told, I never used a compression gauge either, never needed it.
I did buy one last year so I could give a psi number on my e-bay saws, I got a
good one to be as close to reality as I possibly could, but that is the only reason I use one.

A sticking/binding recoil spring can make an 026 feel like it has 300lb of compression.

So can a scored piston.

Hey Fish !!! did JJ cheat ??
well ,, JJ,your correct...and i guess reading another thread is kewl :)
BUT,,you didnt ID from the line either !!

Actually I did- there's only three models that use that small diameter junction on the line where it enters the tank and have a short top line- 028, 038, and 024/026. I also knew by your old-school filter that it was an older saw that hadn't been worked on much.

So can a scored piston.

Actually I did- there's only three models that use that small diameter junction on the line where it enters the tank and have a short top line- 028, 038, and 024/026. I also knew by your old-school filter that it was an older saw that hadn't been worked on much.

:bowdown:

your now excluded from anymore of this type of game !! you know to dayumm ( credit to TH ) much !! :)
happy you do too !!
man,we got some on here that know thier stuff dont we ??

Latest posts

Back