16 inch bar on a 575xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
One quick question. I was given two 16inch bars that will fit my 575. I was all ready to make some loops of chain for the saw when my dad said that a small bar like that might let the saw over rev and damage the motor. Is there any truth to this?
The saw was tuned by my dealer.
I was just on Husky's web site and they say that a 16 inch bar can be used.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Rob

Just make sure the carb is correctly set with the 16" bar on it, and there will be no overrevving. The only way it is a problem, is if you don't reset the carb.

rjh245 said:
One quick question. I was given two 16inch bars that will fit my 575. I was all ready to make some loops of chain for the saw when my dad said that a small bar like that might let the saw over rev and damage the motor. Is there any truth to this?

Any ideas?
Thanks
Rob

Yeah. Sell those 16" bars and buy a 24" bar before your saw grows a vagina. Why in God's name would you put a 16" bar on a saw that size?? We've got a 575xp spinning a 24" full comp round chisel and it'll handle plenty more if we needed it to. 16" bar....might as well put a pink bow on the brake guard.:greenchainsaw:

BigUglySquirrel said:
Yeah. Sell those 16" bars and buy a 24" bar before your saw grows a vagina. Why in God's name would you put a 16" bar on a saw that size?? We've got a 575xp spinning a 24" full comp round chisel and it'll handle plenty more if we needed it to. 16" bar....might as well put a pink bow on the brake guard.:greenchainsaw:

I will put a 16 inch bar on a 575 becasue I got two new Oregon bars for free. If I were to buy two bars that size it would cost 60 dollars. I would be lucky to get 20 dollars if I sell the bars on ebay.
I just wanted to know if they will hurt the saw.
I also run a 20 inch bar and a 32 inch bar on that power head. Out here where i live there are not that many trees that require me to run the 32 inch bar.
Rob

rjh245 said:
I will put a 16 inch bar on a 575 becasue I got two new Oregon bars for free. If I were to buy two bars that size it would cost 60 dollars. I would be lucky to get 20 dollars if I sell the bars on ebay.
I just wanted to know if they will hurt the saw.
I also run a 20 inch bar and a 32 inch bar on that power head. Out here where i live there are not that many trees that require me to run the 32 inch bar.
Rob

Might as well run it, then. If I had one hanging around, I'd run it for little around-the-house stuff, like when I trim branches from an extension ladder with my 7900 :dizzy: (I know, I know...just don't tell my wife)

Seriously, though, there are lots of instances where you don't need a long bar. Having the option to throw on short one seems a perfectly fine idea. Enjoy your free bars!

I found a old stock of 15" oregon bars. I run one on my woods modded 372. Makes for fun cookies. I also run an 8T rim. Haven't tried a 9 pin yet.

Steve

i dont see why people are so upset over a 16" bar on a big saw.. it has many advantages in small logs.. put a 9 or 10T sprocket on that baby and cut like it was butter :)

TimberPig said:
Just make sure the carb is correctly set with the 16" bar on it, and there will be no overrevving. The only way it is a problem, is if you don't reset the carb.

As he said, it should be great for limbing and bucking if the wood is not too large - and try a larger sprocket if you want some fun!

By the way, over here 15" is standard bar lenght on the MS660.... :hmm3grin2orange:

A 16" bar was included with my 288XP! I haven't used it yet, but I imagine it wouldn't bog too easily.

rjh245 said:

Any ideas?
Thanks
Rob
When you think about it the opposite should be true, in that using a long bar such as a 32" would tax the crankshaft when a high speed chain hits a knot etc. I used 16" bars on 066's for years doing firewood with no ill effects. More oil, more cutting speed, less filing, less rocking out and more productivity.
This long bar nonsense is purely a West Coast thing.:) Plus the wood in the west is so soft compared to our Great Lakes Region Rock Maple, that you could put a 9' bar on your MS290 and not be able to pull the saw down in rpm.
Yup, that's totaly true.
John

SawTroll said:
As he said, it should be great for limbing and bucking if the wood is not too large - and try a larger sprocket if you want some fun!

By the way, over here 15" is standard bar lenght on the MS660.... :hmm3grin2orange:

you guys need some real trees :taped:

I love my 361 with a 16 inch bar, and run it with the 28 now and then.

Gypo: just for fun i tried a 42" bar with .404 chain on a husky 266, saw just about had a stroke! and i was only trying to cut an 8" log with the setup too.. it just wont work :p

Gypo Logger said:
When you think about it the opposite should be true, in that using a long bar such as a 32" would tax the crankshaft when a high speed chain hits a knot etc. I used 16" bars on 066's for years doing firewood with no ill effects. More oil, more cutting speed, less filing, less rocking out and more productivity.
This long bar nonsense is purely a West Coast thing.:) Plus the wood in the west is so soft compared to our Great Lakes Region Rock Maple, that you could put a 9' bar on your MS290 and not be able to pull the saw down in rpm.
Yup, that's totaly true.
John

NWCS said:
Gypo: just for fun i tried a 42" bar with .404 chain on a husky 266, saw just about had a stroke! and i was only trying to cut an 8" log with the setup too.. it just wont work :p

Hmm... maybe it would pull 3/8ths pitch better. ;) BTW, those pictures are pretty funny Ben...

SawTroll said:
... By the way, over here 15" is standard bar lenght on the MS660.... :hmm3grin2orange:
Lakeside53 said:
you guys need some real trees :taped: .....

I think the main reason that they do it, is to keep the list price competetive.
The MS660 (with that bar) are listed at only slightly more money than the 372xp, powerhead only - but the Stihl bars are very expensive here, while Husky and Oregon ones are a lot cheaper.

It is all about marketing, again! :mad:

Latest posts

Back