16 yo kid inside a mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet you have failed to provide a single fact to support your assumption....................looks like the Amish/Mennonite/ Apostolic mills west of me. You do realize what yours are I hope..............
None of us will change his mind, it's made up. I'm done with this thread.

According to the bureau of labor and statistics ( https://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag_index_alpha.htm#F )
there were 61 fatalities in 2021 in the forestry and logging industry. 63 in 2020,59 in 2019, and 84 in 2018.
In the mining Industry there were 552 fatalities in 2021, 593 in 2020, 704 in 2019, and 704 in 2018.
Agriculture. 2021 457 fatalities, 2020 515, 2019 577 and 2018 574.
First, according to the facts logging and forestry is not the most dangerous job. The facts say far more die in farming and mining incidents.
Better yet, should I start pulling cdc stats for vehicular deaths? Heart attacks?
You don't know the facts of what happened and you've presented exactly zero facts. Just your biased opinion, then slandered everyone else that shared their opinion, as uncaring child slave drivers.
I do not know what happened with the young man in the article you originally posted, and neither do you. That's the facts.

Those numbers are kinda misleading due to the fact of the actual size of the work force in each industry. If you look at the fatalities per capita logging is right at the top. Iron worker (my trade) is top 5ish last I looked. Mining and farming had a lower death rate per capita than truck drivers, kinda hard to believe but that is according to OSHA.

The comment about Amish children was a pretty good analogy. Lots of Amish are in construction in this area. It's nothing to see a young teenager setting trusses on a 2 story building with no fall protection. Or in the woods cutting and bucking big timber. The difference is, to Scuts point, those boys are family. The adults have good reason to be concerned for their safety and their future, and are taught the right way to do a job. Kinda goes back to what I was saying about my kids buddies coming over and wanting to hop on a tractor or pick up a saw or a dirt bike because they see my boys doing it. I've been "training" them all their life....there is no way I'm gonna pack all that knowledge into a teenager that don't even know what purpose the glow plugs serve on a piece of equipment....especially when they don't care. My kids knew the operation and the how's and why's of equipment long before they ever touched one.

According to the bureau of labor and statistics ( https://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag_index_alpha.htm#F )
there were 61 fatalities in 2021 in the forestry and logging industry. 63 in 2020,59 in 2019, and 84 in 2018.
In the mining Industry there were 552 fatalities in 2021, 593 in 2020, 704 in 2019, and 704 in 2018.
Agriculture. 2021 457 fatalities, 2020 515, 2019 577 and 2018 574.
First, according to the facts logging and forestry is not the most dangerous job. The facts say far more die in farming and mining incidents.
Better yet, should I start pulling cdc stats for vehicular deaths? Heart attacks?
You don't know the facts of what happened and you've presented exactly zero facts. Just your biased opinion, then slandered everyone else that shared their opinion, as uncaring child slave drivers.
I do not know what happened with the young man in the article you originally posted, and neither do you. That's the facts.
Again a statistical fallacy.

I don’t know how to explain this other than it matters how many people are engaged in that activity.

Artic fishing is consistently and constantly presented as the most dangerous profession.

Do you think that more artic fishermen die than farmers?

No, but much fewer people are engaged in it so even a few deaths make the date rate higher by activity.

Again a statistical fallacy.

I don’t know how to explain this other than it matters how many people are engaged in that activity.

Artic fishing is consistently and constantly presented as the most dangerous profession.

Do you think that mor artic fishermen die than farmers?

No, but much fewer people are engaged in it.

Per Capita, is the only way to compare the relative dangers of given activities, if just judging by raw numbers, then simply being BORN is the most Dangerous thing anyone can do, it is Guaranteed that 100% of people born will die. What you Do during your life can affect how long you live, and statistics compare the relative dangers of various activities, no fallacies in that

Doug 😎

Per Capita, is the only way to compare the relative dangers of given activities, if just judging by raw numbers, then simply being BORN is the most Dangerous thing anyone can do, it is Guaranteed that 100% of people born will die. What you Do during your life can affect how long you live, and statistics compare the relative dangers of various activities, no fallacies in that

Doug 😎
No it’s not Doug, how do you think insurance actuaries come up with this stuff?

Why is there a news report of the 10 or so most dangerous jobs ranked every year.

I guarantee you that artic fishing is ranked higher than agriculture yet there will be less deaths associated. However since there are fewer engaged, those deaths are more statistically relevant.

Is freehand unteathered rock climbing more or less dangerous than driving a car? More people died, per capita, driving a car. Get it?

If not, here’s an article that explains it:

Look at the difference between total deaths and deaths per 100000

And the numbers for item 1 and 2, yiu only get 1 free read so absorb it.

https://www.ishn.com/articles/112748-top-25-most-dangerous-jobs-in-the-united-states

None of us will change his mind, it's made up. I'm done with this thread.
you can be done with it.

What you are failing to realize, is the contrary point. Your minds are already made up. Your not changing your mind in the presence of information.

The thing is a lot of the folk here grew up doing this stuff at a young age. No one and I mean NO ONE is the bad guy in their own story. Most people likely think they are good people. You grew up OK. You did this work. Its fine for others to be engaged in this work.

Exaggeration for point: Pol Pot, Hitler and Stalin didn't go to bed thinking they were the bad guys, they were end justify the means folks trying to bring power to their countries. We hopefully recognize that all these men were absolutely evil. but you do you think they believe themselves to be evil?

Everyone is the protagonist of their own life.

What I am saying that is falling on deaf ears: Misuse of statistics aside, logging is a very dangerous activity, having more impressionable young men involved will increase the fatality rate. Some here are saying that the risk they would vote for. In essence some will die, but you think the good outweighs the bad, legislation should be rolled back. You personally would likely train kids well. protect them best as possible et cetera. You wouldnt let kids who have no business near the equipment run the equipment. fine and grand. I wish everyone was like you.

I am just on the opposite side of the fence. I dont think the good outweighs the bad. I think theres people out there, and we've all met the type that would be terrible management and would care more about the bottom line than the safety of the kids in his employ.

JRM gets it. Regarding his take on the Amish. They become adults and are given adult jobs by necessity at a different ages, I know many amish. in fact, a large contingent of amish came to my grandfathers and fathers funerals. Thats not very normal for the "english." drove their buggies over 20miles to get there. I respect their way of life in that its an entirely and totally different world for them and how they spend their time here. Do I agree with everything, no. Do I think they are endangering their kids, yes. Do I think they are bad people, no.

No it’s not Doug, how do you think insurance actuaries come up with this stuff?

Why is there a news report of the 10 or so most dangerous jobs ranked every year.

I guarantee you that artic fishing is ranked higher than agriculture yet there will be less deaths associated. However since there are fewer engaged, those deaths are more statistically relevant.

Is freehand unteathered rock climbing more or less dangerous than driving a car? More people died, per capita, driving a car. Get it?

If not, here’s an article that explains it:

Look at the difference between total deaths and deaths per 100000

And the numbers for item 1 and 2, yiu only get 1 free read so absorb it.

https://www.ishn.com/articles/112748-top-25-most-dangerous-jobs-in-the-united-states

I think we misunderstand each other,
Your article uses per capita comparison, like I said was the only way to accurately compare the dangers of various activities

I’m done.

Doug 😎

I think we misunderstand each other,
Your article uses per capita comparison, like I said was the only way to accurately compare the dangers of various activities

I’m done.

Doug 😎
And you missed the point, absolutely, that less people died in item 1 the most dangerous vs 2. How does that work?

They did it by employment data.

Per capita employed in that activity is the answer.

And you missed the point, absolutely, that less people died in item 1 the most dangerous vs 2. How does that work?

They did it by employment data.

Per capita employed in that activity is the answer.

Which is Exactly what I was saying

It seems most,if not everyone else understood that I meant per capita INVOLVED IN SAID ACTIVITIES, not Per Capita for the General Population

I’m Sorry that I didn’t spell it out in a Third Grade level, I didn’t realize that I needed to

Doug 😎

Which is Exactly what I was saying

It seems most,if not everyone else understood that I meant per capita INVOLVED IN SAID ACTIVITIES, not Per Capita for the General Population

I’m Sorry that I didn’t spell it out in a Third Grade level, I didn’t realize that I needed to

Doug 😎
OK,. sorry, when you quoted ,me. I beleived you to be arguing against what I was saying.

Sean is incorrect in how he is using his numbers. He is stating more people overall per capita died in farming so farming is the most dangerous rather than per capita engaged in the activity.

Theres two(well several more as well) possible per capita calculations people are confusing here.

Per capita of overall population and per capita engaged in the activity.

The ones arguing against my point are using the former, I am trying to show how that is inaccurate and misrepresents the discussion in regards to over all danger by activity vs activity.
Which is the fallacy I am pointing out.

Bill you've shown me precicely one thing: your premise depends on not even trying to have a rudimentary understanding of what I wrote. Ive linked tables and facts, I linked them for you and explained them. I explained at length the differences in the statistics. I notice you didn't attack my math. Did you not understand? maybe you found it faulty? I could explain it better if you need help, which parts are confusing? Do you have a problem with my conclusions? provide better data, and I will adjust.

My child puts her hands over her ears and yells "nananana" at her sister when she doesnt like what she hears, I expect better from adults, but here we are.

Ignorance is a blissful state. Enjoy your happiness.
I could care less about all your statistics as they are irrelevant to the situation. I asked a very simple question that required a very simple answer which was motor vehicle accidents. That was all that was needed not 20 paragraphs of stats.

Now since you seem to like to dig around for stats try reading your original post and providing some facts. Your first line is where you went wrong right away.

Sick. Child labor laws are there for a reason. Someone has a big lawsuit about to happen.

"In Wisconsin, minors are prohibited from working in many occupations in logging and sawmills. According to the state Department of Workforce Development, children under 18 are prohibited from entering a sawmill building. They are also not allowed to work felling or bucking timber, collection or transporting logs, operating or assisting in operating power-driven machinery, handling or using explosives, working on trestles, working on portable sawmills, working in lumberyards used for storing green lumber or using a chainsaw."

https://www.wpr.org/teen-boy-dies-f...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
What facts do you have to support that ridiculous statement as I have yet to see you produce any.

He's not saying that at all. He's saying more 16 yo kids are killed from being inexperienced drives then 16 year old kids that work at saw mills. I'd even go on the include several other hazardous occupations to that as well, but that's a moot point.
The fact of the matter is we don't know what actually happened in this situation, so we should be reserving judgment.
Exactly!!! Folks jump to conclusions without a single shred of evidence or fact.

Headline..............."Local 16 year old cuts hand, severs finger in woodworking shop".

Now what does that headline make you think? I can tell you the story is real and I know all the facts.

I could care less about all your statistics as they are irrelevant to the situation. I asked a very simple question that required a very simple answer which was motor vehicle accidents. That was all that was needed not 20 paragraphs of stats.

Now since you seem to like to dig around for stats try reading your original post and providing some facts. Your first line is where you went wrong right away.

What facts do you have to support that ridiculous statement as I have yet to see you produce any.
Well hopefully some others leavened something about statistical analysis. You still don’t grasp it I’m sorry I couldn’t explain it better.

Well hopefully some others leavened something about statistical analysis. You still don’t grasp it I’m sorry I couldn’t explain it better.
I grasp all your numbers are your way of avoiding what you said in the first line you wrote. This is what YOU need to explain.
Sick. Child labor laws are there for a reason. Someone has a big lawsuit about to happen.
Please explain to us all what child labor laws were broken and where a lawsuit is imminent. I have been waiting and so far all you have done is avoid what you said.

Very sad that anybody dies while trying to earn a living. 16 years old and had his whole life ahead of him. But saying that, it is just as sad and more common that a 30-40 year old man will die doing his job. I know 14- 15 year olds that chop their own silage and work around machinery. From what I have watched, they know what they are doing because they were taught well. Being careful and well trained will never stop accidents from happening though. I know many 16 year olds I could trust on a D9 dozer, but you also have those blue haired punks that wear a hood in the middle of July. I would not trust those kids with a flat shovel.

Very sad that anybody dies while trying to earn a living. 16 years old and had his whole life ahead of him. But saying that, it is just as sad and more common that a 30-40 year old man will die doing his job. I know 14- 15 year olds that chop their own silage and work around machinery. From what I have watched, they know what they are doing because they were taught well. Being careful and well trained will never stop accidents from happening though. I know many 16 year olds I could trust on a D9 dozer, but you also have those blue haired punks that wear a hood in the middle of July. I would not trust those kids with a flat shovel.
I ran all types of dangerous farm, construction, and industrial equipment at a very young age. All of my sons did also. I spent a career working with 13-19 year olds and had them operating industrial tools that most would never have them use. You know what caused the most injuries .............a bandsaw

I will ask this to @scut207 should 16 year olds, heck 14 year olds be allowed to work in a butcher shop on the the kill floor and cutting rooms?

I ran all types of dangerous farm, construction, and industrial equipment at a very young age. All of my sons did also. I spent a career working with 13-19 year olds and had them operating industrial tools that most would never have them use. You know what caused the most injuries .............a bandsaw

I will ask this to @scut207 should 16 year olds, heck 14 year olds be allowed to work in a butcher shop on the the kill floor and cutting rooms?
Answer would be it depends on each individual, everyone is different. You can tell once you watch them a few days.

I will clarify a bit. Should they legally be allowed to do so?
In my opinion, I say yes they should be. If that same 16 year old can legally drive a Dodge 3500 down the road pulling a loaded gooseneck , then he or she should also be able to work around equipment that some may call dangerous. Hell, I was running a saw at around age 11 or 12. Goes back to what I call the pu$$ification of America. Mr. Mike Rowe has some very good videos on this very subject.

Back