$181 NIB eBay Echo CS-510 Arrives!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Big Brown Truck just rolled in. Out came an Echo box.

Box looked new....

A good sign that...

I brought it in and slit the tape. Tape looked untouched....

A good sign that too...

Rolled back inner cardboard packing...

There sits what appears to be a pristine brand-spanking new CS-510 Echo chainsaw powerhead (no bar & chain) won on an eBay auction.

Total cost to-date: $181 plus $23 s/h = $204.

Details to follow....

Re: sn

Originally posted by johnhoward
Yeah, I'd check the sn too.

I'm afraid to...I have a sinking feeling about the deal that was too good to be true...

That aside, this Echo CS-510 is the BEST DESIGNED chainsaw I have ever seen or handled. The air filter and plug cover come off without tools and so does the air filter element which is a nice round car-type filter. Slick!

Pop off the top cover and there are little "bulkheads" that slip out of grooves that hold the choke and kill toggle switch. Then the Walbro carb is exposed for easy removal.

The starter and other covers are attached with REAL SCREWS into REAL METAL and not sheet metal screws into plastic like my Jonsered.

It starts easy with no kickback and revs up beautifully, although when I put on a bar and chain, it seems to run too rich. Maybe it was factory adjusted without bar and chain?

The only negatives I see is that you need a special tool to remove the clutch to get at the rim sprocket and the side chain adjusting screw could be larger. And it feels a little warm to the touch... :-(

Looking at 510 echo

I saw a 510 at Home Depot for $359. I was looking at a Husky 365 (already have 372xp) for about $450-500.

I have the big saw. For a medium saw, how would the Echo be compared to a Husky 365 or 359? Anyone have experience? I have been used to a Poulan Pro 315 and 295 as mid sized saws. I really loved my 315 but wore it out. The 295 was more consumer grade but always started for me..

Would the Echo be a good choice. I really liked the way it is put together and the way it feels.

Thanks!

Hey come to think of it I bought a 510 for my birthday a few months ago and when I went to look for it last weekend it was gone. Send that thing back.

Bill

The CS 510 is a good reliable saw. It cuts good with a 20 inch, .325 pitch bar and chain. If it has any negatives at all, it is a bit of a heavweight in the 50cc saw class.(probably should be a 55cc)

It is not in the power league of a 359 or 365. The 359/2159 is a good 18 inch bar , 3/8 saw, and the 365/2165 is a good 20 inch bar, 3/8 saw. Either will out cut the Echo 510 when loaded down full bar length in hardwood.

The mid sized Echos are running. .325? right? The Husky's are 3/8? Is that right (except for the .404's) Is that a good rule of thumb? I get mixed up when trying to figure out what would be the easiest as far as keeping track of chains..

This Echo calls for a .325 x .050 bar and chain, but a rim sprocket change and it would take a 3/8" if preferred.

I can't comment on this saw's real cutting ability as I only tried it out on a couple pieces of small oak. It is around 50cc. Firewood saw. Plenty adequate I'm sure for what I cut here. My new Solo 690 is for the big stuff and milling.

Right now all I'm saying is that the Echo's design is really well thought out. It looks to be very easy to work on and I like that because I do my own repair work if possible.

It looks like it has limiter caps on the carb screws, but I hear they are easily removed.

I bought a Husky 372 xp last year for cutting large stumps and big, dead oak trees. It is a booger to handle as it is heavy. I bid on a 365 on Ebay for a medium sized saw but was glad I lost the auction after carefully reading that there isn't much difference in the 365 and 372 Husky's aside from power output. I wanted something a little lighter for trimming and taking large soft wood limbs off. I have been using a Poulan Pro 315 and 295 for 7 and 6 years respectively but the 315 is showing its age. They are about 50 and 46 cc repsectively.

The 50 cc Echo seems awfully heavy but you are so right. The design is awesome. I like the way it will draw air in without chips and dust falling on the top grate of the pull start like the Poulan's. I like the simple choke but when I was looking at different saws, it seems that the new 335 xp arborist saw from Husky has almost as much power as saws 1.5 times its weight.

Hmmm. What to do. I found an online 510 for $345 with free shipping. That's a deal..

Latest posts

Back