Echo CS-490, CS-590 or Dolmar PS-510, PS-5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, new member here. I'm a homeowner with a property that backs up to a forest. Doing occasional storm cleaning and (very) limited fire wood. My old junkie poulan pro 42 cc 18" just died after 10 frustrating years. Time for something better. Size wise, power wise and weight wise the poulan was ok for my use, it just never ran smooth.

Looking at echo cs-490, cs-590 and dolmar PS-510. Each can be had brand new for $280-325 (with Echo 1-day 20% sale). Can't seem to make up my mind. I am just looking for something that is a bit stronger than my Poulan and a lot more reliable. Based on what I learned on this forum, I think the Echos and Dolmars will be superior to the Huskies and Stihls in the same price range (~$300)

My thoughts about these saws:
Echo CS-490: maybe a bit less powerful than other 50cc saws, but still a big step up from my junk Poulan. Likes: light, good quality, ready availability of parts, local dealer. Dislikes: may require mm to get most out of it, more "bang for buck" from the other 2, tuning voids warranty, may be too lean from factory (longevity concern?). The latter may not be a concern with my occasional use

Echo CS-590: best bang for the buck, stellar reputation, local dealer, available parts. Dislikes: heavy, likely overkill for my needs, tuning voids warranty, may be too lean from factory (longevity concern?). The latter may not be a concern with my occasional use, and we have a good small engine repair shop in town that may be able to help

Dolmar PS-510: maybe the best quality saw of the bunch. Weight and performance between the other 2, tuneable out of the box. Dislikes: local dealer will no longer sell them (hence clearance price), parts seem hard to get. Given that my Poulan lasted 10 years without needing parts other than regular maintenance, this may not be a concern. May be able to pick up a PS-5105 for a little more, still waiting to hear back from dealer on that.

I am thinking of either getting the best saw (Dolmar) and not worry about dealer support given my limited use; or to go for an Echo and just try both during the demo day sale; if the weight of the 590 bothers me I would get the 490, otherwise I don't think I can go wrong with the 590.

What do you think? Echo or Dolmar? Any concerns about Makita decreasing support for Dolmar saws?

Thanks!

I own/owned 3 of the 4 saws, never had a 510. All three are great saws for the money. I did sell my 5105s just because of how it fit me, just like a firearm or a bow, if it doesn’t fit, you ain’t gonna be happy. The 490 muffler mod is the easiest of any and the Echo warranty if needed is more of a suggestion than an actual warranty, they will actually decline your warranty claim if you change brands of spark plug. Great saws, lousy customer service at corporate level. The 490 will more than fulfill your needs. Find a nearby participating dealer in Echo Customer Appreciation sale and get the 490 for $275, save some money for PPE.

I bought the echo 620 and found I wanted something smaller. Picked up an older CS440 that I'm trying to get fixed. It will become my go to saw. I imagine the CS490 will do good for you as well.

Weight-wise (kg): 490 (4,8) < 5105 (5,4) < 510 (5,6) < 590 (6,0)
Performance-wise (kW): 490 (2,1) < 510 (2,4) < 5105 (2,8) < 590 (3,0)

Dolmar PSnnn means farmer, while PSnnnn professional category. Also PS510 is heavier and has less performance than PS5105. 590 is 60cc, while the others are 50cc - comparing apples and oranges here ;-) From this list my choice would probably be 5105; or 490 if you can get it for significantly lower price.

(6 months ago I was deciding between 5105 and CS-501 (4,7 kg, 2,6 kW) and picked up the lighter&cheaper.)

I own/owned 3 of the 4 saws, never had a 510. All three are great saws for the money. I did sell my 5105s just because of how it fit me, just like a firearm or a bow, if it doesn’t fit, you ain’t gonna be happy. The 490 muffler mod is the easiest of any and the Echo warranty if needed is more of a suggestion than an actual warranty, they will actually decline your warranty claim if you change brands of spark plug. Great saws, lousy customer service at corporate level. The 490 will more than fulfill your needs. Find a nearby participating dealer in Echo Customer Appreciation sale and get the 490 for $275, save some money for PPE.
What about the fit of your Maruyamas didn't you like?

If that old Poulan did all you wanted and you're just looking for a newer and better quality saw, just get that Dolmar 510, its built like a tank.
German design and quality without an overabundance of cheap plastic. If you want to spend a few extra dollars, step up to the 5105.
In all reality though, that PS-510 will do all you ever need, last a long time and never leave you wanting.

Good advice, thanks all. Sounds like any of these 4 are going to be a significant step up. To add to Pavel408's post:

Weight-wise (kg): 490 (4,8) < 5105 (5,4) < 510 (5,6) < 590 (6,0)
Performance-wise (kW): 490 (2,1) < 510 (2,4) < 5105 (2,8) < 590 (3,0)

Price wise ($): 490 ($280) < 590 ($320) and 510 ($325) < 5105 ($?)
Dealer support-wise: 510, 5105 < 490, 590

I plan on going to a local dealer and feeling/handling the 2 Echos to rule out the 590 (I think it will be too heavy). If the 590 is not too heavy that would be a no brainer.

Unfortunately the Dolmar dealer with any saws in stock at clearance prices is an hour away, so I can't easily go there and feel/handle the 2 Dolmars. I need to call the Dolmar dealer to see if he even has a 5105 at a similar clearance price (low $300s). If not, it narrows it to a choice between the 490 and the 510. In that case I am inclined to go for the 490 based on lower price, local dealer/service support and lower weight. I will just ask the dealer to check the tuning of the 490 as it seems to are sometimes set a bit too lean from the factory; if I feel I need more power I can pull the restriction tube, remove the tabs and retune. Would probably wait a while to do so to avoid warranty issues (and make sure to buy the prescribed spark plugs ;)) .

Sound reasonable?

Yup, sounds reasonable. The 590 will give you the most bang, but its not the weight but its size IMO that makes it less of an ideal all-arounder. I'm a Dolmar fan as the saws are just so good and not expensive like the other big two, and don't think you'd be unhappy with a 510. Some consider it in the farm-saw class but most others aren't built to the same standard. Having said all that, every piece of Echo OPE I have used (and still own) has been very reliable.

Called my Dolmar dealer and the 5105 is $425 as opposed to $280 for the CS-490 and $325 for the Dolmar PS-510. Ruled out the 5105 based on price.

Stopped by a local Echo/Stihl/Huskie dealer. Did not have the CS-490 or 590 in stock, but handled a Huskie 455 Rancher (same weight as CS-590) and ruled our the CS-590 based on weight. More power than I need and for the majority of my applications the weight would be cumbersome.

Then handled a Stihl MS251 and Husqvarna 445 (both 10.8 lbs, similar to CS-490 at 10.6 lbs), and that is a great weight for my applications. Handled a Stihl MS291 (12.3 lbs), same weight as Dolmar PS510 and while I could handle it, I prefer the weight of the CS-490/Huskie 445/Stihl MS251.

So, I will get the Echo CS-490 for best weight, best price, best dealer support and pass on the Dolmar PS-510 since I won't need the slightly better performance. My local dealer does not stock the CS-490 and has already had their 1-day sale. Will see if they can order one and work with me on price, otherwise I will have to drive a few towns over to pick it up during an upcoming 1-day sale. Really like the local guys though, so will see if we can make that work.

Thanks for all your help, and I can't wait to go in the back of my property with my soon to be acquired new toy. Now I regret all the time I have wasted getting that darn Poulan going.....

Good luck with the warranty, if you ever need to use it. Having a great dealer might help somewhat, but Echo are not exactly easy to deal with on warranty issues, as far as i have read.

My dealer said the same thing about stihls warranty. But he's fought every brand from Jonserreds,husky,stihl,echo for warranty work at some point. He says every company will try to find a way to deny your warranty. There's a very small chance you'll need the warranty with any major brand .

Latest posts

Back