185CD Piston question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyelnats

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased an aftermarket replacement piston that was supposed to fit my husqvarna 185CD. The part# listed was 501 55 92 04, which is the same part# from the Husqvarna parts manual, but my piston has more clearance in the skirt. The aftermarket piston hits on the crank and will not work. Anyone know what is going on with this? The tag is missing from my saw, but I always thought it was 185CD.185CD_piston.jpg

That's interesting? Is the diameter of the new piston correct and wrist pin too? What brand piston LRB?

That's interesting? Is the diameter of the new piston correct and wrist pin too? What brand piston LRB?
I believe same diameter and wrist pin. Looks like there may be two styles and only 1 works in the 185CD? I found these images, the part numbers on the boxes are 5015592-03 and 5015592-02 which are different, but I thought the last two digits just indicate if they are A, B, or C size, so I would think that is not the reason why the skirts are different.

hus3.jpg

How much skirt would you have to grind off of the aftermarket piston for it to match the profile of your original piston and clear the crank?
If everything else was the same dimensionally, the other style was hard to find/unobtainable and the same aftermarket piston was fairly cheap to replace if things go pear shaped, it is an option I would try.
Thin card template of the skirt of the original piston, cut it out and transfer the pattern template to the aftermarket piston- see if it leaves enough material from base of skirt to window cut out and grind away.

Back