1976 Stihl 041 FarmBoss oil pump leaks bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resipsamax

Reaction score
I bought this saw new. It is leaking bar oil out of the front casting hole for the pump, and there is a huge rubber seal in there pn#1110 007 1009 that the dealers I've been to say NLA. I've tried C BaileysCG site & emailed him, as well as several others. Has anyone else had this kind of leak, where it doesn't matter if the engine's running or not. If there is sticky bar oil in the tank, It'll
leak out. I have not actually seen it yet, but I have manuals with diagrams and if it comes down to making my own type of seal for it, I'll try it. I wonder if there's a chance that on older saws if on a cold start the bar oil isn't at all warm then it's prone to pump at higher psi and blow things out? Any advice appreciated, thanks Amax/N. Ga. mtns

oiler

i bought a MS290 with locked up oil pump. had green gunk like congealed castor oil from a model airplane engine that didn't run for the last hundred years. that locked the pump piston (cam-type piston) and stripped the nylon gear that drives the pump. after about 20 min of cleaning i got the pump freed up and clean, installed new worm and all better.

if you have old oil (maybe the fancy eco-friendly stihl oil is vegetable base and can rot and lock things up?) maybe something clogged (bar, pump, tubes, etc). pressure could be high if that happened, but it seems like a stretch.

I don't know about the large seal--I don't have an 041. try searching ebay with that part number, and check "search titles and description" Better yet, set up auction sniper automatic notify to let you know whenever that part appears.

Otherwise, make one or try to buy it from a bearing supply house by specifice--diameter bore and diameter shaft (if it is a "seal").

oh yeah

is it pumping correctly to the bar? run it just above idle with the bar and chain off and see if oil is emitted from the hole to feed into the bar. usually a slot mates with the hole in bar (so there can be bar adjustment). if oil comes out that hole, probably nothing wrong (at least you shouldn't have high pressure)--and you need a seal.

if nothing comes out the hole for the bar to get lube, maybe you have high pressure pushing oil past the seal on the pump (due to clog).

if you got that hard, green crap I had, good luck. it was HARD to clean the pump and get if working freely. reminded me of green locktite cylindrical part retaining compound (AKA "stud and bearing mount") but just a tad less permanent!

I show the sealing ring part number as 1110 647 9000 and it is available... About $10.

The number 1110 007 xxxx is not correct -the 007 part indicates it's a "kit" of parts.

041 leaking oil pump.

I have an 041 and it leaked into the cylinder when the oil pump seals went, felt like it was seized. I got the parts here in Canda easily. They should still be available in your area, check with your local Stihl dealer. Good luck with the saw it is an easy fix and not expensive.

041 leaking oil seal

I had the same problem with my 041 about two years ago. More oil was coming out the front of the pump assembly than was going to the bar/chain. My dealer had the seal in stock for about $11 and it took about 10 minutes to install. Try several dealers. Even if it's no longer available from Stihl, someone may have one in stock. Good luck. Gene Gauss

041 pump seal...........

I show the sealing ring part number as 1110 647 9000 and it is available... About $10.
The number 1110 007 xxxx is not correct -the 007 part indicates it's a "kit" of parts.
Thanks for the info. Do you have that seal, 9000? My 1976 FB serial # is
475 1042. The owners manual parts list shows the 007 as "Rubber Ring Set"
and indicates this set includes "index pin set" So I'd be happy to buy just a new #9000 sealing ring from you if you'll email me directions.
In answer to the other posts, it leaks if it's not running sitting on the ground.
It does deliver oil to the bar but I suspect it is not in correct quanity. Boy it would be so fine to find a dealer with the seal and 10 minutes as stated!

You shouldn't use part numbers from an old IPL - they get superceded and obsoleted - your number is definitely obsolete. The dealer has the latest part number on his computer, but they will not reference back to yours.

Give the new part number to your stihl dealer and ask them to order it for you

Found a new one!

Thanks for the updated PN#'s I did a search thru ebay (in titles & descriptions, just like you advised) and thru a store called cheapstihlparts, I found a new one
for $6.00! I purchased a shop manual, new points & condenser for the 041 last year from this store. I sent them an email in May to inquire if they had this seal
and I was using that old 007 pn#, and he responded they did not have one!
So there ya go, I'm getting better all the time. Thanks!

I love how I can learn new stuff I am having the exact same problem from my stihl 041 fb and just learned the part # to fix the problem. Thanks guys.

I love how I can learn new stuff I am having the exact same problem from my stihl 041 fb and just learned the part # to fix the problem. Thanks guys.
This is a record for me - over 14.5 year old thread!

041 is hemmoraging oil onto the bar. I think it's also leaking into the crankcase and fouling the plug. Hoping replace the seal around the pump body and the o-ring will help. The IPL I have shows part #s:
# 6 from IPL - 1110 647 9000 - Rubber ring
#2 from IPL - 9646 945 0340 - O-ring 6x1.5

The thing I don't understand is- how would this cause excess oil to get pumped to the bar? I could see how it could leak into the crankcase - but how would I be getting excessive oil to the bar? I have the control knob backed all the way to minimum. And I can look down past where the pump is (after removing it) and see the "control bolt" ball that somehow interacts with the angled end on the pump shaft. It appears to be turning. I don't really see a difference in the various "sides" of that ball - but not a great view down into the crank. I wish I had a boroscope or one of those small cameras.

1648333306040.png
1648335654773.png

Latest posts

Back