1978 Chevy 4x4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a 74. I'm all over the hp/axle spectrum. I'm about 75% done with my toyota buggy. Toy axles, locked 5.29 ratio with a 4cyl propane turbo for go.

This one will not be one I drive conservatively.

Sarge: by the looks of the grille and headlight bezels (the way they wrap all the way down and around the front facing marker/turns) you have a '79.

I have a '78 K-10 I picked up this past feb... It is lifted 4", 35" BFG Mud Terrains, 4spd, 350 with mild cam, Edelbrock carb, Edelbrock intake, full length headers with dual cherry bombs that dump at 45 deg downward angle just behind the rear axle. This truck came from TX and despite needing some cosmetic work it is solid through and through.

The 12 bolt rear end was re-geared by the previous owner and I believe they forgot to Lock-tite the ring gear bolts. Well consequently, they backed out and destroyed the gear set, carrier and axle housing itself....

I now have my first axle rebuild under my belt and let me tell you, it was a learning experience! I added a posi-traction differential with the axle rebuild...

Here are a few pics... First is how she looked when I first brought her home.. The rest show different steps in some of the changes I have made. I did some interior work too. It is far from "finished", but well on it's way.

Oh, and a family member is giving me a 79 3/4 ton for parts. I plan to salvage many parts from it for a rainy day, particularly the axles! Now that I know how to build an axle, my truck will have a 14 bolt rear and 8-lug wheel conversion.

I plan to have this truck painted dark candy apple red and retain the black trim....

How it first looked...

00I0I_fT83nnmAAn5_600x450.jpg
01212_2vmKntXMzQu_600x450.jpg

Here is how she sits now.... Got rid of the black bumpers, added bumper guards, driving lights and a moon visor. ALso got rid of those nasty black marker/turns in favor of some '73-'75 amber lenses.. And check out the "350" badge I scored from my father in law! They stopped putting the engine size badge in the grilles after '74! :D
ResizedImage_1398643979065.jpg
ResizedImage_1398643896688.jpg
ResizedImage_1398643918015.jpg
ResizedImage_1398643954173.jpg

Hey Sarge, nice find! Old trucks are one of the best things a man can own...they take patience, a little love, kindness, money, time...kinda like other relationships in life worth learning and practicing. New trucks are just to be driven...you don't spend time under them greasing tie-rods and u-joints, you just drive them. Old trucks need care and love. The belts gotta be tensioned just right...they don't do it themselves...you have to adjust your carb with the seasons, tighten bolts and check torque regularly, and keep those brake pads and front wheel bearings looked at. Check the diff gear lube, transmission oil level, and keep the engine oil clean and changed often. Old trucks are like old Harleys...they drip a little here and there...that's cuz they like to "mark their spot".
We have a 1977 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 work truck i call Old Grumpy...he's been with me since 1979...and we have a had incredible adventures together. He is lifted about 8" and runs 36" Dirt Grips...a 468 big-block with 540 HP running through a granny 4 speed and a 14-bolt rear end with a Detroit Locker. He hauls our big wood trailer and all the gear, and has been working hard for 615,000 miles. Yes, he takes some time away from other stuff when he needs work (yesterday a valve cover gasket). A committed relationship takes a little effort, but the results are worth more than what can be seen...

Back