1983 husqvarna Rancher 50 rebuild and porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackel

Reaction score
Hello! First time poster, I'm in Australia and having trouble finding a rebuild kit for my 1983 husqvarna rancher 50, most people I speak to arent sure if the kit they sell will fit my saw or not, does someone have a link to a list that will fit? I've read that the 55 kit will bolt on with some dremel work? I will also be doing some porting before I install the barrel, has anyone done this and can give me some advice? Thankyou in advance for any advice or assistance!
0460fed218e1d8ee74b65e9e0490dbc1.jpg
e4b64aab025e376305a417dfcd4db397.jpg
c3c775414a22c380818b5a18cf14af80.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. I remember reading a thread about the 55 cylinders not fitting on the early 50 without doing some grinding. Have you pulled the cylinder yet to see if you need one? You might just need a new ring. I have a 1985 model 50, my first saw. I cleaned the cylinder and piston up real good, new caber ring, new crank seals, timing advance and muffler mod. It runs stronger than it ever did. Good luck with your project.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

If only I had an original one sitting in the cupboard with all my other 1980s Husky bits... but sadly I don't.
My recollection is that a 45mm "51" cylinder/piston will fit in an early 44mm "50" crankcase but a 46mm "55" one won't but I also remember something about increased bolt spacing at some point.

If you're in or near Victoria you may be lucky to find a NOS Partner 500 or 5000 cylinder/piston on a shop shelf, which will bolt straight in.
If not, you could take a punt and/or play around with one of these.
https://www.farmertec.com/Husqvarna...ing-Pin-Circlip-OEM-503-16-83-01-p226821.html
You'd need to plug the decomp and I'm not sure how much the freight is.

Welcome to the forum. I remember reading a thread about the 55 cylinders not fitting on the early 50 without doing some grinding. Have you pulled the cylinder yet to see if you need one? You might just need a new ring. I have a 1985 model 50, my first saw. I cleaned the cylinder and piston up real good, new caber ring, new crank seals, timing advance and muffler mod. It runs stronger than it ever did. Good luck with your project.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I havent pulled it down yet, I was hoping to get a full rebuild kit that is known to fit, then strip it and do a full rebuild in a day or a weekend, I plan on using the old girl for many years to come and want to start fresh with everything, so pretty much a full mechanical restoration, I will also be doing some porting to the new barrel and whatever other performance mod's I can do to get the most out of it, then I will have the power of a big saw in the small, relatively light package, I live in the hills surrounding Canberra and heat the house with wood, as well as doing gardening/arborist work when my automotive business is slow.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back