1984 Husky 154 SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozy365

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a well maintained Husky 154 manufactured in 1984 and I have a few questions:

1. Can I run 40:1 fuel mix like in my other saws (manual says 25:1 for 2 stroke oils and 50:1 for Husky two stroke mix)

2. I run a Stihl 290 for some of my larger wood with a 20" bar. Which saw would you put a larger bar on, or is 20 as high as practical (`40-70 face cord a year) on the 20 year old and the 2 year old.

The husky is in great shape and came with the original receipt, instruction manual, service manual etc. I am looking to replace bar and chain for a dedicated trunk wood and felling saw. I want the most efficient and safest setup. Both saws are currently setup with .325 pitch and I have been running a low kickback chain on the stihl. I imagine a bigger saw is in order, but given what I have to work with, which would you outfit for the bigger stuff?

Thanks for any help, guys.

You can run your 154 at 50:1 and i guess 18" bar max. will be a good,they come stock with 15".On your 290,i wont go over 20 " i guess because its only 57 cc.For the bigger stuff,i would use the 290 (bigger engine 57 vs 54 cc ).The 290 has more torque than 154.Beware if you do firewood with the 154 to run a bit richer on hi speed screw to avoid seizure.

Thank you for the reply. If the 290 becomes the primary for bigger wood, how but a chain recommendation to increase the ease of cut. I have been using stihl's low kick back chain that came with a stihl bar when I bought the 290.

Strange that no-one answered this rather streightforward and easy question, so I will do it even though it is a little late.

Assuming that the gauge of the bar is .063, I would try Oregon 22LP or Stihl 26RS/ 26RMC /26 RM. If your wood is dirty I would try one of the RM's; otherwise the LP or RS.

If the bar is .050, the numbers are 20LP, 23RS, 23RMC and 23RM.

The LP and RMC is "low-wib" chain.

Back