1990 Trooper Almost Done!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heffalump

Y'all Mofo's Need Jesus
Reaction score
The headgasket popped on my wife's 1990 Isuzu Trooper last May. We decided at the time to completely rebuild it to be her Adventure Vehicle. I tore out the 2.6L motor, stripped it down, and brought it to a machinist. It got bored over .020", fully balanced, and a custom camshaft grind to give more low end torque. I swapped in a LSD rear third member, and had the bearings and seals replaced on both rear axle shafts. I rebuilt both drive lines, and just got done swapping in a 3.07:1 4Lo t-case gear.

I had a serious bear of a school term last fall, and really didn't get to make much progress on the rig. But over the holiday I got the engine back in, and am just waiting on a few more replacement parts to put the tranny/t-case back in. Then I'll be firing it up for the first time in almost a nine months!!!

Those 90s Troopers are great vehicles. I drove 3 different models 5 days a week over 8 yrs while land surveying. They were all fuel sippers, 4 and 6 cyl. and nimble on, and off road. The narrow body let me drive through the woods easily and make my own paths on some large tracts we surveyed. I only got stuck 1 time and it took 10 mins to get it out stuffing logs in the ruts

Latest posts

Back