1994 WC/12 Woodchuck Chipper won't fire.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1stump

Any Stump, Anywhere!
Reaction score
The chipper will crank but not fire. I am leaning toward the push button that has to be pressed in while turning the key and 3-5 seconds held down after it fires. I am wondering if this is faulty, would I still get spark to the coil? What is the best way to check for spark? I have tired taking the wire off the coil and putting a spark plug in and cranking the key, no spark, also tried arching it with a nail, no spark?

The Murphy switch might have a fuse in it and it might be blown. If you need a Murphy switch, I believe the part number 518APH-12 and I have one on the shelf.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

I didn't see a fuse in it. Is there any reason why I would not be able to just bypass this switch? Honestly, I tried bypassing this murphy switch, along with changing the coil and spark plugs. The thing started but the starter would not disengage. It tries to turn over when you put the key in just the "on" position, without actually turning the key to start it. So then I put all the wires back where they were and it still did the same thing. Now what?

Sounds like you wired your ignition switch or starter relay wrong

Some times all that is needed is to clean the wire connectors. This is always the first thing I don't when an engine won't start.

I found that there was power being distributed to the starter wire, not the post off the ignition switch, the actual wire, when the key was turned to the "on" position. I just disconnected it and ran a straight wire from the starter post of the ignition switch to the starter, it turns over the way it is suppose to, but doesn't want to fire until I let off the key a little and it barely will??

3rd key switch. The wire has power, anyway, I just put a new wire in and taped that one off. Chipper still runs like crap, has all kinds of problems with the intake manifold and carb.

Latest posts

Back