1999 7.3 PSD dually

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Disclosure: I live in Japan, I work on a base (but closer to retirement) and japan work trucks are cool, but you can only have two vehicles registered if you are on the base. that being said...

So for the last 7 years I have been using a 2001 F150 supercrew with the 5.4 and tow package as my wood scoring/transporting vehicle. its been a trooper, I have often times loaded my trailer, (1500 lbs by japanese law) down to over 3k lbs and the truck just does what a truck should do. But the rust monster has attacked it and its getting harder to justify it when I cannot get various body parts for it. can't get replacement rockers or door skins, Plenty fo the extended cab, or regular cab... but none for the super crew short bed....

so while I was drunk (a regular occasion ) and cruising across the interwebz... I cam across an add for a 1999 F350 super cab 4 door, with the 7.3 and a 6 speed. to date it only had 108,000 miles total... well yeah i kinda lost my snott and went the next week to look at it. Yes my wife is pissed, yes she is talking smack again... but damn it is so solid.. no rust engine is strong and the 6 speed is slick as snott on a glass plate. photo will follow after the transportation company brings it home. (it was 3 prefectures over so I had to arrange a delivery company so that i could then receive and register it. I test drove it for 16 miles after allowing it to warm up from a cold start in 45deg weather and it ran like a champ.... just think of the trailers I can overload now! oh yeah the wife is pissed.... when is she not?

Disclosure: I live in Japan, I work on a base (but closer to retirement) and japan work trucks are cool, but you can only have two vehicles registered if you are on the base. that being said...

So for the last 7 years I have been using a 2001 F150 supercrew with the 5.4 and tow package as my wood scoring/transporting vehicle. its been a trooper, I have often times loaded my trailer, (1500 lbs by japanese law) down to over 3k lbs and the truck just does what a truck should do. But the rust monster has attacked it and its getting harder to justify it when I cannot get various body parts for it. can't get replacement rockers or door skins, Plenty fo the extended cab, or regular cab... but none for the super crew short bed....

so while I was drunk (a regular occasion ) and cruising across the interwebz... I cam across an add for a 1999 F350 super cab 4 door, with the 7.3 and a 6 speed. to date it only had 108,000 miles total... well yeah i kinda lost my snott and went the next week to look at it. Yes my wife is pissed, yes she is talking smack again... but damn it is so solid.. no rust engine is strong and the 6 speed is slick as snott on a glass plate. photo will follow after the transportation company brings it home. (it was 3 prefectures over so I had to arrange a delivery company so that i could then receive and register it. I test drove it for 16 miles after allowing it to warm up from a cold start in 45deg weather and it ran like a champ.... just think of the trailers I can overload now! oh yeah the wife is pissed.... when is she not?
you have a interesting life!!!!!!

I’d love to see some pictures when you get it set up, we have 450k on our 99 7.3 with the 6 speed on the family farm. That motor and transmission is about the best combo an American manufacturer ever put in a passenger truck.

Look into fluid film or wool wax to keep the rust off of it. It’s a tacky lanolin based oil spray that repels water. It’s slowed down the rust on my last two trucks considerably and should stop rust entirely on clean metal if you are religious with it.

I’d love to see some pictures when you get it set up, we have 450k on our 99 7.3 with the 6 speed on the family farm. That motor and transmission is about the best combo an American manufacturer ever put in a passenger truck.

Look into fluid film or wool wax to keep the rust off of it. It’s a tacky lanolin based oil spray that repels water. It’s slowed down the rust on my last two trucks considerably and should stop rust entirely on clean metal if you are religious with it.
here she is at the house... this was prior to the license plate change into my name. cold temps and a weak battery on the passenger side required me to use my charger to trickle it. I have since bought new batt4eries for both sides and replaced the battery terminals and cables so i no longer need to keep a charger on it. I have already bought spare sensors for the engine. that was about 1500 USD ordered form the states, but as hard as it is to get parts here I would rather have them "in stock" if you know what I mean. I have also ordered new bilstein shocks for all for corners, and a full stainless exhaust. the current one is OK, but give it two or three years around the cabin with all of the salt they use on the roads and it will be gone. might as well get it while the parts are available. Next thing is spare HPOP lines currently she has no leaks at all, but the hoses are two decades old so all the orings and hoses are next in line to order.
BLHX7826[1].JPG

I like that front bumper with the winch. I need one for mine.

That’s my dream truck right there, I like the cab and half too. Quad cab is nice but I imagine it would be a nightmare parking in town for you.

I'd get a spare hpop before I would worry about the lines, fuel line packing/ oring kit is nice to have on hand too. I think it was the cam sensor that was notorious for randomly going out. Injector 8 seems to the favorite for trouble. Oh keep after the oil pan, can't tell you how many I've patched closed or replaced/helped replace. Oh valve cover gaskets and a spare top end engine harness. The aftermarket ones suck, and oe is getting hard to find. Last year I did my dad powerstroke van harness and valve covers. To put it bluntly, be glad you have a pickup. Can't seem to think of anything else I'd want to have on hand if parts were a bugger to get. Oh yeah the injection pressure Control sensor. (Somethijg like that.) It's the one on the driver side bank head close to the hpop. Hmm I could make a spares list for days if I knew I wouldn't be able to get stuff for them easily.
Good score though, with any type of decent care it will easily go 300+k miles. All the 7.3 diesels we've ever had were great.

That’s my dream truck right there, I like the cab and half too. Quad cab is nice but I imagine it would be a nightmare parking in town for you.
This was my oldest son's first vehicle at 15. It was a 97 F350 7.3 5 speed. That is exactly what a 15 year old boy needs!!!!!! She is still on the road looking rough though.

1680828227049.png

I have an 01Great truck Dont drive it in salt Just blew the cobwebs out of her for the summet

Shame he didn't take better care of it, that could have been a real desirable truck these days. I have a 96 super cab that I constantly get asked to part with, only problem is replacing it would cost more then my house.
WTF?

I bought my 99 7.3 Six Speed Crew Cab new in 1999. It's a great platform. Now with the odometer is showing over 300,000 miles I just replaced the water pump for the 2nd time a week ago. Best place to get parts IMO is https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/

I've replaced the tires 12 times, changed the oil myself over 80 times, the rear brake pads once, and the fronts twice. Gotta love engine braking. Oh, I replaced every single bit of the steering and front suspension at 300,000 miles. It drives like new.

Since we all love pics, here's the brand spankin' new ZF6 I put in at 250,000 miles. It really didn't need one, but they were going obsolete and not much more money than a rebuild.

80-dsc01816_638c222d5cd6540e2ef725f9c1a3b78cb5cd4ca3.jpg

So you think my son did that to it? That is funny.
since you say he's had it since he was 15, are showing a picture of a rusty beat up old truck, it not really a stretch of logic to conclude he didn't take very good care of it. But like normal, you being involved it's definatly someone else's fault.

I bought my 99 7.3 Six Speed Crew Cab new in 1999. It's a great platform. Now with the odometer is showing over 300,000 miles I just replaced the water pump for the 2nd time a week ago. Best place to get parts IMO is https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/

I've replaced the tires 12 times, changed the oil myself over 80 times, the rear brake pads once, and the fronts twice. Gotta love engine braking. Oh, I replaced every single bit of the steering and front suspension at 300,000 miles. It drives like new.

Since we all love pics, here's the brand spankin' new ZF6 I put in at 250,000 miles. It really didn't need one, but they were going obsolete and not much more money than a rebuild.

80-dsc01816_638c222d5cd6540e2ef725f9c1a3b78cb5cd4ca3.jpg
Seems the pickup 6 speed manuals are just hard to find and getting expensive in general. I'd love to toss the nv4500 out for a g56 6 speed, but man you about have to mortgage the house for a used one in good shape.

Shame he didn't take better care of it, that could have been a real desirable truck these days. I have a 96 super cab that I constantly get asked to part with, only problem is replacing it would cost more then my house.
Are you a farmer? Do you use your truck for job everyday? I really don’t see how a 25 year old truck with easily fixed body damage that’s still driving daily hasn’t been taken care of.

It just comes off like you’re trying to insult a guy for no reason.

Are you a farmer? Do you use your truck for job everyday? I really don’t see how a 25 year old truck with easily fixed body damage that’s still driving daily hasn’t been taken care of.

It just comes off like you’re trying to insult a guy for no reason.
What does being a farmer have to do with anything? Yes, until 2 years ago my trucks were used for over the road service. Stone and coal strip mines, concrete plants, snow plowing, hauling whatever needed hauled. Guess it's OK to make excuses and brag that a rusty old pickup is still "on the road." Get real.

Back