1st Post 1st Saw 1st Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toaster816

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this site AFTER I purchased my first saw and my head nearly exploded with the mountain of information. I just bought my second house and after getting a great deal on a wood stove I am now addicted to scrounging for wood. With that comes the need for a saw and borrowing my buddy's was just not going to cut it anymore (you guys enjoy bad puns from 1st posts right?).

The long and short of it:

I picked up a 028WB with an 18" bar for $50 that was described as "starts but boggs down when you throttle", so I thought it would be an easy fix of replacing the fuel lines/filter, airfilter, and/or rebuilding the carb. The quick search I did on the 028WB before purchasing it said it was a heavy workhorse of a saw, reliable and well suited for cutting firewood, so I thought for $50 and maybe $75-100 in parts I could get a good strong saw.

I tore down the saw and cleaned it up. Ordered a new spark plug, air filter, fuel line/filter, impulse line, and did my best to clean all the old oil/sawdust from the case and handle.

The dilemma:

During the tear down I noticed the saw didn't have a chain brake, rookie move on my part not checking before I bought it but I read every thread I could find on the 028 and as everyone on here but me knows a brake is available. There is one on the auction site for about $80. I am now torn between throwing another $80 into this saw, or holding out for a saw with a brake in the $200 range. I have seen a few 028av supers, 026's, and 034's that look like they would fit the bill for my needs. I will likely take the hit and buy the brake, or maybe even another 028 that has a brake, I guess I am just looking for some reassurance from the experts to KEEP GOING with the rebuild. I know not everyone runs a saw with a brake, but I have only run a saw about a dozen or so times so anything that will help me not slice myself in half in the event of an accident I am going to go for. The thought of scrapping a project makes me sick to my stomach, I just wish I did a bit more research before pulling the trigger on the saw and parts.

-Taylor

IMG_8058.JPG

IMG_8078.JPG

Welcome to as . Sounds like cad may have just started on new member. Listen don't pay $80.00 for the brake. You did good on buying that saw. There will be another broke cheaper. Finish rebuilding that saw it's good experiance. You could also find another 028 parts saw in that price range with a brake in tact. There is other model saws w/that same brake. Someone else will surely chime. You can post in the trading post here looking for 028 brake. Good luck with the build.

Welcome!

Hard to tell from the pics if it is a REALLY early 028 without the brake or missing the brake that came on later 028?

Seems to have the later plastic fuel tank/handle, although these parts get swapped around.

The 028 is a workhorse, and VERY well built, but a little heavy by todays standards. The 028S was the best of the 028 with a 46mm bore.

If you are just cutting firewood for 1-2 homes it will serve you well if running properly.

The other saws you mentioned are all also good firewood saws, I'd add the 036 and 038 to the list too.

If this saw does not pan out, and you already have invested in parts, maybe finding a 028S is in the future?

image.jpg
Thanks for the input and offers guys! Plastic handle indeed and I believe based on the threads I've read the case on my saw requires the old style brake that doesn't cross over on itself?

I was also thinking of putting a 16" bar on it after reading that size seems to be the sweet spot on this saw.

How much more powerful of a saw is the 028 super? Would it be worth it to put the bigger piston/cylander on my saw if I found the parts cheap?

Bud from a long-timer to a short-timer here's some input. I mean this in a constructive way from one brother to another. Just some observations I made reading your post, along with some advice from a battle-hardened guy that might make your time in the woods and at your bench more fulfilling:

my head nearly exploded
Relax, man. The main thing is don't get excited. You'll eventually blow a gasket doing that. Whether you are pouring concrete, baling hay, training a dog or grilling out pork chops, it don't matter. You control the situation. It doesn't control you.

I am now addicted to scrounging for wood.
Addiction is a terrible thing even to approach that jokingly, see the above comments. Any addictive behavior is mainly a demon being amplified. Without the platform given to a terrible force, it has no power and not a leg to stand on.

and as everyone on here but me
You're not the Lone Ranger, hotrod. Haha. We all have been there. I see you are in Rhode Island. I'm in Illinois and a Stihl 028 AV Super was also my first saw 30 years ago. You are not alone.

I am now torn between throwing another $80 into this saw
Naw, there's nothing to get torn up about. That 028 is a solid model and as you have seen within one post here from stating your dilemma, you found a guy with parts. I'll bet there is 500 028's in Rhode Island alone and that place is about as big as a Texas farm.

I will likely take the hit
You likely will not. Get that sucker running then keep track of your productivity with it. That's what I do and when the saw has paid me back twice minus expenses, I know I can sell it and get the original investment back.

I guess I am just looking for some reassurance from the experts to KEEP GOING with the rebuild.
Look inwardly. You have found yourself en route to one of man's oldest and most noble pursuits; using the ingenuity of man's intelligence to co-exist with nature to overcome cold weather. What an inherently healthy pursuit you have found yourself in the throes of. Do you realize the the word, "exercise," wasn't used until gas heat was discovered? Fact. Reducing firewood to pure carbon and basking in the glow of one's labor never gets old.

The thought of scrapping a project makes me sick to my stomach, I just wish I did a bit more research before pulling the trigger on the saw and parts.
This was the main one that got me started. I sense too much anxiety with you, Bud. Relax, man. You can't do anything about the past even if it was five minutes ago. That's the funny thing about the present moment; as soon as you are in it it becomes the past immediately. Always think, "What am I doing." Don't think, "What have I done," trust me it's a beartrap.

Now you are cutting firewood and that will evolve into falling trees as you get good at it. A high-anxiety type will self-destruct or injure someone else in that scenario. Be cool and in control of the moment it is all you will ever have. The future and the past do not exist only in the mind alongside our perceived troubles. Scrapping a project like your 028 at its worst would only mean it becomes your donor saw for another project.

View attachment 402463
Thanks for the input and offers guys! Plastic handle indeed and I believe based on the threads I've read the case on my saw requires the old style brake that doesn't cross over on itself?

I was also thinking of putting a 16" bar on it after reading that size seems to be the sweet spot on this saw.

How much more powerful of a saw is the 028 super? Would it be worth it to put the bigger piston/cylander on my saw if I found the parts cheap?
My first project saw was a 028. I had a couple parts saws, including a Super, which donated the ignition, p/c, carb, brake, rim set-up, & numerous small parts. The brake is kinda hard to release (although it seems better than it used to be), but haven't had any trouble with it. I found the Super in a load of scrap. Luckily, everything that was on top of it was not real heavy (tinny autobody parts). When I asked the guy what was wrong with it, he said it was seized up. Upon disassembly, I found nothing at all wrong with the p/c. To this day, I believe it was tossed because the brake was on! Unfortunately, the lower end had sustained moisture damage.

One benefit of the 028, is the abundance of used parts. I've got some extra parts, but it sounds like you're already fixed up by some kind fella's that are a lot closer than me.

Scrapping a project like your 028 at its worst would only mean it becomes your donor saw for another project.

Very true and some sage advice. Didn't know I came off so neurotic haha, I think I would describe my 'anxiety' as excitement. I am a fisherman and I rebuild reels and build rods, so this is a whole new world and it's got my mechanic juices flowing.

I've got some parts, too, if you need anything. 028s are very good little saws. Here's one I've been working on...
Great looking saw and thank you for the offer!

One benefit of the 028, is the abundance of used parts. I've got some extra parts, but it sounds like you're already fixed up by some kind fella's that are a lot closer than me
Been here less than a day and many folks offering their help, much obliged.

BA, Of all my years here, you have got to be the biggest Dumb Ass that's ever graced this site. Very few members here find you amusing. But yet you still keep coming back. Do you not have a life? Give it a rest dude. Yeah I called you a dumb ass, next username you sign on with you can report it dumb ass.

Stumbled upon this site AFTER I purchased my first saw and my head nearly exploded with the mountain of information. I just bought my second house and after getting a great deal on a wood stove I am now addicted to scrounging for wood. With that comes the need for a saw and borrowing my buddy's was just not going to cut it anymore (you guys enjoy bad puns from 1st posts right?).

The long and short of it:

I picked up a 028WB with an 18" bar for $50 that was described as "starts but boggs down when you throttle", so I thought it would be an easy fix of replacing the fuel lines/filter, airfilter, and/or rebuilding the carb. The quick search I did on the 028WB before purchasing it said it was a heavy workhorse of a saw, reliable and well suited for cutting firewood, so I thought for $50 and maybe $75-100 in parts I could get a good strong saw.

I tore down the saw and cleaned it up. Ordered a new spark plug, air filter, fuel line/filter, impulse line, and did my best to clean all the old oil/sawdust from the case and handle.

The dilemma:

During the tear down I noticed the saw didn't have a chain brake, rookie move on my part not checking before I bought it but I read every thread I could find on the 028 and as everyone on here but me knows a brake is available. There is one on the auction site for about $80. I am now torn between throwing another $80 into this saw, or holding out for a saw with a brake in the $200 range. I have seen a few 028av supers, 026's, and 034's that look like they would fit the bill for my needs. I will likely take the hit and buy the brake, or maybe even another 028 that has a brake, I guess I am just looking for some reassurance from the experts to KEEP GOING with the rebuild. I know not everyone runs a saw with a brake, but I have only run a saw about a dozen or so times so anything that will help me not slice myself in half in the event of an accident I am going to go for. The thought of scrapping a project makes me sick to my stomach, I just wish I did a bit more research before pulling the trigger on the saw and parts.

-Taylor

View attachment 402455

View attachment 402456

Welcome to the site! I've had a few of those saws run across my bench. Many people have them and really like them. If you are kind to it, it should last you a long time. Just a couple bits of advice to someone new to cutting firewood. Always look up, keep your chain(s) sharp, and always take somebody with you into the woods if you can. I'm no sage or "expert". Just what I've learned over the years. I learn something every time I go to the woods. Keep us posted on the build. Enjoy!

BA, Of all my years here, you have got to be the biggest Dumb Ass that's ever graced this site. Very few members here find you amusing. But yet you still keep coming back. Do you not have a life? Give it a rest dude. Yeah I called you a dumb ass, next username you sign on with you can report it dumb ass.
Yup - I was pretty sure about that one yesterday, but not quite enough to report it. Like I said, it always become clear soon enough..

I have and use several old saws that do not have chainbrakes. Used them for lots of years before they had them. You have to be careful and watch yourself using them.

I figured it was him when I saw that post this morning. :dumb:

After looking back I only liked his post because I just read the Last Sentence.
.....Note to Self...... Read More........:laugh:

Back