1st Post 1st Saw 1st Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have and use several old saws that do not have chainbrakes. Used them for lots of years before they had them. You have to be careful and watch yourself using them

Going forward with the rebuild I am going to try and locate a brake for it.

Does anyone have a service manual for the 028 they can email me?

Go find the "swap meet" thread on here and make a list of what you need and ask for it there. There are tons of guys with parts that will probably sell them significantly below EvilBay's prices.

Rebuilding my carb (hu40b), bought the rebuild kit (rk-14-hu) and have no clue where this small domed shape piece goes. Help! Haha. image.jpg

Yeah, that's the welch plug. Don't worry about using it. I wouldn't pull the old welch plug out. Just put the diaphragms in and try it out.

Any luck?

Yep, to be as thorough as possible, and to learn everything I can, I replaced the welch plug with the new one. Drilled tiny hole in the existing welch plug (being careful not to bust through and hit the carb body), inserted a small flat head and popped it out. Hit the tiny holes hidden by the plug with carb cleaner and compressed air, set the new welch plug in and punched it in place.

In the future if my carb rebuild kit comes with the welch plug I will not do this simply because the risk of damaging the carb by drilling into the welch plug is not worth, nice to know what was behind the mystery plug though.

Yep, to be as thorough as possible, and to learn everything I can, I replaced the welch plug with the new one. Drilled tiny hole in the existing welch plug (being careful not to bust through and hit the carb body), inserted a small flat head and popped it out. Hit the tiny holes hidden by the plug with carb cleaner and compressed air, set the new welch plug in and punched it in place.

In the future if my carb rebuild kit comes with the welch plug I will not do this simply because the risk of damaging the carb by drilling into the welch plug is not worth, nice to know what was behind the mystery plug though.

Glad you got it replaced fine. Yeah, it doesn't hurt to pop the welch plug out. Even if you hit the passages a tad with the drill, it probably wouldn't have been the end of the world. It's not generally necessary though. Good learning though.

Welcome to the site toaster !

You have a great attitude - thoroughness and a willingness to learn are great attributes !

Good choice to go ahead with the rebuild - the saw is well worth your time and patience.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I'll bet you won't be able to stop at one though - especially if you hang around this forum !

Enjoy !

Glad you got it replaced fine. Yeah, it doesn't hurt to pop the welch plug out. Even if you hit the passages a tad with the drill, it probably wouldn't have been the end of the world. It's not generally necessary though. Good learning though.

Yea I noticed some other rebuild kits didn't even include a new welch plug so it doesn't look like a lot of people replace it regularly.

Welcome to the site toaster !

You have a great attitude - thoroughness and a willingness to learn are great attributes !

Good choice to go ahead with the rebuild - the saw is well worth your time and patience.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I'll bet you won't be able to stop at one though - especially if you hang around this forum !

Enjoy !

Thanks! While looking for parts I found a too good to be true deal on a 028 near running parts saw and a running 028 Super that just needs some TLC from a very generous member (Jeff Lary) on here so I am going to clean up the super and keep that as my main saw and rebuild my saw and the parts saw for my dad and my brother so my goal is to have three running saws to report back with!

I've tried to read every thread I can on the 028's, from the sound of it seems like a lot of people agree that though they aren't as light or fast as the new saws they are pretty much bulletproof if you maintain them.

Next thing I need to learn about is bars and chains...search function is my friend haha.

Oh oh, the CAD bug bit you. Watch out.

Yes, tough as nails the 028's. Build one next to an 026 and you'll see the difference. Wayyyyyyy overbuilt. Heavier and larger crank, bearings, case, rod, etc.

3.5 more lbs of pure metal goodness. That's why so many still in use.

Hey guys, are there any other stihl saws that have similar fuel lines (1118 358 7770) and impulse hoses (1115 151 8600) that would fit on the 028?

Latest posts

Back