2 cycle oil warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I may be preaching to the converted, but maybe this'll save a newbie.

ECHO guy I talked to yesterday said not to buy offbrand oil, because unlike auto oils, there is no governing body to make oils meet quality requirements. I will be using syn ECHO oil from now on.

If you use an oil that is branded by a big name brand manufacturer, it will be good oil. The saw companies have to warranty the saw, they're not gonna sell complete junk as oil. There are some that are better than others.

By the way keep on using the echo oil it has a fuel stabilizer in it. This will help if you do the unpardonable sin :rolleyes: & leave fuel in saw or keep fuel a long time.

For the cost savings I would not think it worth while to look at lower or unknown quality oil.

There are both better and worse oils out there compaired to the manufactures product.

Given that 1 qrt of oil is all that is used for ~10 gal of gas it does not add up to big $$$, but one replaced jug and piston will be more than equal to the cost of a lifetime supply of high quality 2 stroke oil for the saw.

Timberwolf - right on!

Also, don't every use "name branded oil for outboard motors" - these are water cooled and run about 100F cooler than a chainsaws.... Make sure it's a Major chainsaw brand (Stihl, Echo, Husky...) or a Major brand (Mobil, etc)that's rated for air cooled engines (I can never remember the rating letters/numbers!).

I just use Stihl oil at 50:1, but mainly because where it work it's REALLY cheap :)

Its not worth it to me. stick to a known quality oil. it may cost a little more, but its worth knowing your saw will stay running properly. Timberwolf stated it perfectly.

David B said:
That reminds me...heard the Echos are running hi temps in the newer engines, and they all make emissions reqs. Something like 500 degree temps....purty hi, no?
I suspect all newer saws are running hotter as a result of emission controls, leaner burning and restrictive exaust are two factors that will raise operating temps.

Well, at least the guy did agree not to use the offbrand oils, even if his reasons weren't correct. Like everyone else, I'm just plain not willing to risk my equipment to save a few cents per gallon.

I would make sure to add enough of it, IMO 50:1 does not give the same protection as 32:1 if the saw happens to go lean for what ever reason.

I can't seem to find anything that solidly supports a link between rich oil mixes and engine dammage. Except maybe for the guy who runs the saw for 1000-2000 hours without cleaning the muffler screen, port, piston crown, changing the spark plug ect. In that case increased engine deposits could lead to problems.

i use maxima castor 927 full synthetic in all my stihls and also run it in my motocross bikes. to me me buying such factory oils such as stihl,echo,etc.. is all junk and your just paying for the name

usmc50bmgsniper said:
i use maxima castor 927 full synthetic in all my stihls and also run it in my motocross bikes. to me me buying such factory oils such as stihl,echo,etc.. is all junk and your just paying for the name

Yah I'm sure the factory puts crap in their saws :rolleyes:

Echo is syn...do some research.

just my opinion, maxima cost 3 times as much as the factory oil and it does perform better, been using it for over 15 years with no problems

no name junk? lol maxima oil products have been around for many years and is one of the top oil's used in motocross bikes. and it's not the same as your echo synthetic. it's like comparing a echo saw to a stihl or a husky,lol. theres no comparison in reliabilyity or performance.

Latest posts

Back