2 horse chestnut crane removals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attachment Point's

Nice and smooth.That's the key.Kind of an odd question but how do you like your truck I had what appears to be the same Dodge Dakota and had horrible transmission problem's.Another one for ya when crane assisted how do you judge how many attachment point's you are going to pick from?I ask because of the 6 crane jobs I did this past summer I don't think I was using the crane to it's to full potential(where I would have been able to pick larger section's if I were to use multiple attachment point's-->I would pick off single stem's from one point)adding time and work in the tree.By the way out of the 6 jobs,5 were used with a 10 ton and 1 with a 50.And another one have you ever worked in Bournemouth?

Last edited:
Those first two picks were downright beautiful, Reg. If you wouldn't mind doing it, I would like a little tutorial on setting up the "spider leg" picks. All I've ever seen around here is one choker per pick. Do you carry a number of different length slings, maybe adjustable slings or do you simply several different lengths of rope to tie to the branches and to the hook? Great work, Reg.

Those first two picks were downright beautiful, Reg. If you wouldn't mind doing it, I would like a little tutorial on setting up the "spider leg" picks. All I've ever seen around here is one choker per pick. Do you carry a number of different length slings, maybe adjustable slings or do you simply several different lengths of rope to tie to the branches and to the hook? Great work, Reg.

That's right, give the people what they want Reg. We want to see you climbing out there. Give us a show.

hell, if I had me one of those contraptions I would bolt it to my head and never take it off... and post every dam thing...everything dam thing.

:cheers: The one of the left is the stout. I'm having the Miller.

Sprung 22, mines a 98, 5.2, 4x4. Never had any serious problems like you describe but have replaced many parts like the radiator, water-pump, ball joints, shocks etc….overall it’s been good for what I need.

Re: attachment points, as you know, every tree is different. Some require only a single-point-attachment while others need more depending on how well the limb is balanced v how critical the situation i.e. most of the limbs in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1cRBM9BUM balanced easy but a couple needed a little extra support.

I’ve never been to Bournemouth

Blakesmaster, I don’t use spiderlegs all the time, and the ones I have are a little short to be honest. Really, 3 x 6-7m lengths ought to safely stabilize most limbs within reason. Shorter lengths = more tension due to a less favourable line-angle. You need to position the ball just about where you think the balance-point is and then set your slings (normally 2 in the brush and one on the butt).

Tie/adjust the slings with a clove-hitch so they are equally tight when the crane takes up the slack. When attaching the slings (especially the first) make sure you don’t pull it so tight that you off-set the ball from its original position – the more you do the more movement there will when you cut the limb. Hope that helps a little. Thanks

Treemandan, stout will do nicely....how did you know!

Blakesmaster, I don’t use spiderlegs all the time, and the ones I have are a little short to be honest. Really, 3 x 6-7m lengths ought to safely stabilize most limbs within reason. Shorter lengths = more tension due to a less favourable line-angle. You need to position the ball just about where you think the balance-point is and then set your slings (normally 2 in the brush and one on the butt).

Tie/adjust the slings with a clove-hitch so they are equally tight when the crane takes up the slack. When attaching the slings (especially the first) make sure you don’t pull it so tight that you off-set the ball from its original position – the more you do the more movement there will when you cut the limb. Hope that helps a little. Thanks

That helps a lot, Reg, thanks. Wish I had a few more questions now that the teacher is in.

For sure Dave, they'll be with you in the New Year: http://www.fletcherstewart.co.uk/

That RC 3002 is my favorite and looks to retail at $1245 US?. I like the fact that the handle is removable and it offers a smaller profile than hobbs or grcs and if you inadvertently slammed it bending a cog is not a huge deal like those units. What is VAT? Are they to be retailed at shops over here? Half the price of a GRCS.

Any interest in your company in marketing a motorized deployment unit like the Wraptor?

That RC 3002 is my favorite and looks to retail at $1245 US?. I like the fact that the handle is removable and it offers a smaller profile than hobbs or grcs and if you inadvertently slammed it bending a cog is not a huge deal like those units. What is VAT? Are they to be retailed at shops over here? Half the price of a GRCS.

Any interest in your company in marketing a motorized deployment unit like the Wraptor?

You're probably close, give or take, on the price Dave although + shipping and import tax I'm not so sure as I dont deal with that side of things....it would also depend very much as to how many get shipped at once. Yes it is cheaper than the other devices you mention but that's purely because we have concentrated our best efforts into values other than the lifting capacity.

VAT stands for Value Added Tax - to be 17% this year. This is only relevant in the UK though although perhaps you have an equivalent in the US?

Yes it will be available through some of your retailers (sponsors on Arborist site) although I'm not at liberty to say right now.

The wraptor looks the part and I met the creator at the TCI show....nice guy and much respect to him for bringing that device to the market off his own back. The company isn't mine though and my involvement was purely that of designing the Lowering devices etc. Thanks

Here’s some headcam footage of 2 separate Horse Chestnut removals from earlier in the month.

Watcheble but nothing new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE1FotoApoU Thanks

New? No. First class work. Absolutely!

Really liked the smooth picks on the irregular pieces. Picking up straight bits is the easy part, you made the hard work look easy. :cheers:

I still remember hunting conkers as a kid. I reckon my Mum would have had a screaming fit if she saw how far up I would climb to shake a few out.

I have worked in some massive Horsechestnuts in another state years ago before moving here. Do you all have leaf blotch disease which blotches the leaves early in the season before defoliating all over the place in the early fall?

HChestnut and Buckeye is an undesirable because of this and little control is available.

Thanks again guys

I have worked in some massive Horsechestnuts in another state years ago before moving here. Do you all have leaf blotch disease which blotches the leaves early in the season before defoliating all over the place in the early fall?

HChestnut and Buckeye is an undesirable because of this and little control is available.

This is the real bad one at the moment Dave: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-6KYBGV

Thanks again guys

This is the real bad one at the moment Dave: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-6KYBGV

We have been talking about excising bark killing cankers in the tree health section then treating with extreme heat to kill the pathogen. Does anyone try to trace out the stain/discolored tissue?

attachment.php

Interesting read Reg. Thanks for posting it.

Back