2 Stihl 090's 50" bar White Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run of the mill Granberg frame. Around an 1¼" per second if my memory serves me correct. 4½ years ago. Not my rig but it was my Ash if I didn't do something soon. FIL's property.

. Around an 1¼" per second if my memory serves me correct.

If your talking about the speed of the cut;

The video clip was 100 seconds, times an inch and a quarter per second, would be 125 inches or 10 feet and 5 inches.

That"s bloody impressive.:good:

Very nice, a pal of mine has a 50" set up using two 076's which he uses to reduce big logs ready for putting on his Stenner.
I wonder if the saws had slightly different settings which would mean the one on the right as Bobl points out was a bit smokey bearing in mind the way the 090's choke themselves to prevent over speed ? Anyway it was great to hear them !

Was it a dry log? There seems to be a awful lot of dust
The guy on the RHS also seems to be standing in a blue fog - maybe they are running 25:1?

I've read a few people saying things like this. But 25:1 WILL NOT foul a chainsaw. I run 16:1 in my 880 milling. Does not blow smoke and does not leave muffler oily. If a saw is smokey its air/fuel ratio not oil/fuel ratio.

I'd love to run 2 090's or 880's on a mill!

Welcome Rusty - good to have another Aussie on this forum.

I've read a few people saying things like this. But 25:1 WILL NOT foul a chainsaw. I run 16:1 in my 880 milling. Does not blow smoke and does not leave muffler oily. If a saw is smokey its air/fuel ratio not oil/fuel ratio.

Yep - on thinking about it again I agree. If the saw is tuned to suit modern 2S lubes will hide a lot of visible smoke particles even down to 16:1.

I'm interested in your rationale for running 16:1.

I also notice on another thread that you have made a pretty significant muffler mod.
Did you have to re-jet the carby to take into account the increased air/fuel ration these two factors would cause ?

I was skeptical of the need to post milling videos, but after watching this one, it does have some value -- you can observe the cutting speed, and it's pretty darned slow.

I've never milled monster wood, but I have to wonder why BobL and BillStewe can mill monster slabs with a single 880, yet in the old days it was common to use dual powerheads, as in this video. Seems like you'd need a more aggressive chain to take advantage of dual 090's ?

Yep - on thinking about it again I agree. If the saw is tuned to suit modern 2S lubes will hide a lot of visible smoke particles even down to 16:1.

I also notice on another thread that you have made a pretty significant muffler mod.
Did you have to re-jet the carby to take into account the increased air/fuel ration these two factors would cause ?

I was originaly running 25:1 and .404'' skip chain. When milling ironbarks in summer (not huge but had been sitting a few years), the saw was getting that hot it would boil the fuel in the tank. It wasn't running lean, if anything a tad rich. I ended up getting a 44" GB bar made with 3/8" tip. This alone would most likely have sufficed (now cuts in nearly half the time with half the fuel) but needed to do something in the mean time.
Didn't need to rejet carb, still enough adjustment (with limiter tabs removed) to run quite rich (enough to have the fuel fumes from exhaust sting your eyes!)

I was originaly running 25:1 and .404'' skip chain. When milling ironbarks in summer (not huge but had been sitting a few years), the saw was getting that hot it would boil the fuel in the tank. It wasn't running lean, if anything a tad rich. I ended up getting a 44" GB bar made with 3/8" tip. This alone would most likely have sufficed (now cuts in nearly half the time with half the fuel) but needed to do something in the mean time.
Didn't need to rejet carb, still enough adjustment (with limiter tabs removed) to run quite rich (enough to have the fuel fumes from exhaust sting your eyes!)

I am surprised you had trouble with fuel boiling at 25:1. I avoid milling in summer but have milled several big logs with my 60" bar when it has been over 100F and have never had mix boiling and I use 40:1. I would use 50:1 but I need 40:1 for my 076 and don't like to have different mixes laying around going stale.

A quick calculation shows that the boiling point of mix will only change by between 3 and 5ºC by going from 25:1 to 16:1 while the range experienced by a working saw will be ~30 times greater than that this.

If your saw is getting hot enough to boil the mix that suggests another problem. I have a temperature gauge on my saw and the typical things that kick the temperature up above normal are
- pushing too hard
- no auxiliary oiler
- blunt chain

The thing I don't like about using too much lube is the stuff they use in it is not good for the operator. I usually get a headache after about a hour of using saws at 25:1.

All my saws will boil the fuel like crazy in the summer.

Even a gas jug sitting in the sun will boil. When you open the cap, gas bubbles and shoots out.

My altitude doesn't help, nor does the ethanol.

Even a gas jug sitting in the sun will boil. When you open the cap, gas bubbles and shoots out.

Ethanol is for chumps!!!! no chainsaw should run it. Run rich, and oily, use high octane fuel and synthetic lube, plugs are cheaper than jugs!!!!

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't 16 to 1 allow you to run leaner and still provide sufficient lube for the saw, hence increasing cutting time per tank and possibly a little more power while you are cutting?

As I say I may be wrong and like you BobL I run 40 to 1 for similar reasons to you.

I too sometimes see bubbling and shooting of fuel from a just opened warm/hot container but leave it for a few seconds and it stops bubbling. It's just excess vapor above the surface and inside the fuel equilibrating with the atmosphere, something like the effect of opening a warm soda. It's a sort of a temporary mini-boil but it does not mean the fuel inside the container is boiling. I know a lot of think it's boiling inside the container, but to be boiling it would have to continue to bubble long after the cap has been removed.

|
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't 16 to 1 allow you to run leaner and still provide sufficient lube for the saw, hence increasing cutting time per tank and possibly a little more power while you are cutting?.

But with milling you don't want it running leaner, if anything it needs to run richer. Running any milling saw on the lean side is asking for problems.

I too sometimes see bubbling and shooting of fuel from a just opened warm/hot container but leave it for a few seconds and it stops bubbling. It's just excess vapor above the surface and inside the fuel equilibrating with the atmosphere, something like the effect of opening a warm soda. It's a sort of a temporary mini-boil but it does not mean the fuel inside the container is boiling. I know a lot of think it's boiling inside the container, but to be boiling it would have to continue to bubble long after the cap has been removed.

|

But with milling you don't want it running leaner, if anything it needs to run richer. Running any milling saw on the lean side is asking for problems.

yup,,and me thinks the extra rich oil to gas mix helps out plenty also--

Latest posts

Back