2 trees 7" diameter 50 ft tall...how much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah...

u don't think theres a safe way of learning to climb without having to work as a groundie for ever?

No... actually, there are lots of ways to learn, but OTJ training gives you the chance to see it in action, up close, on a regular (not once in a while) basis. I really don't care how you learn, but you will appreciate it much more and be a better and safer worker if you learn the right way first, rather than developing bad habits and having to relearn it later.

I understand the thrill seeker aspect of climbing. If you have been here a while and read some of my past posts, you would know that I am a past mountaineering (rock climbing) instructor. I also used to race mountain bikes and ski the backcountry. Thrills are fine for entertainment, but dangerous TO OTHERS in tree work. I get a high out of climbing. But that is from Rec Climbing HIGH trees. I do that to keep from looking for thrills while cutting. Cutting, whether trimming or removing, should be a thrill-less methodical exercise in the physics of gravity and the biology of plant species. We learn how different woods react to specific cuts and tie in methods. And we try to apply that knowledge in a way that protects life, health and property.

I encourage you to seek thrills climbing trees. Just do it while leaving the saw on the ground until you are better aquainted with the methods and the tools.

Have fun! Just not while toting a 4HP, 12,00 RPM, saw...

Good luck! It is a blast...

No... actually, there are lots of ways to learn, but OTJ training gives you the chance to see it in action, up close, on a regular (not once in a while) basis. I really don't care how you learn, but you will appreciate it much more and be a better and safer worker if you learn the right way first, rather than developing bad habits and having to relearn it later.

I understand the thrill seeker aspect of climbing. If you have been here a while and read some of my past posts, you would know that I am a past mountaineering (rock climbing) instructor. I also used to race mountain bikes and ski the backcountry. Thrills are fine for entertainment, but dangerous TO OTHERS in tree work. I get a high out of climbing. But that is from Rec Climbing HIGH trees. I do that to keep from looking for thrills while cutting. Cutting, whether trimming or removing, should be a thrill-less methodical exercise in the physics of gravity and the biology of plant species. We learn how different woods react to specific cuts and tie in methods. And we try to apply that knowledge in a way that protects life, health and property.

I encourage you to seek thrills climbing trees. Just do it while leaving the saw on the ground until you are better aquainted with the methods and the tools.

Have fun! Just not while toting a 4HP, 12,00 RPM, saw...

Good luck! It is a blast...

yeah i understand. OTJ training is how i learned most of my landscape skills and believe it or not there are some really skilled mexicans who can show u some real nice techniques. lol

i have just accustomed myself to not wanting to work under anyone after i started doin landscaping on my own. if i could work with a successfull 2 man company that would be sweet. but i don't wanna work for some huge 20 crew company wakin up at 5:30 every morning...it sux, lol.

but thanx for all the info.

btw anyone in Colorado?

if your not willing to wake up at 5:30 every morning and run your own tree company, do yourself a favor and just stay in bed and stick to planting trees for the pro to trim later on. There is alot more that goes into tree work than just climbing and cutting. If you are doing any amount of work at all you will see there are't enough hours in the day to get everything you need to done. It sounds like you are fired up over this man and i get that but being fired up and being ready....thats two different things!

if your not willing to wake up at 5:30 every morning and run your own tree company, do yourself a favor and just stay in bed and stick to planting trees for the pro to trim later on. There is alot more that goes into tree work than just climbing and cutting. If you are doing any amount of work at all you will see there are't enough hours in the day to get everything you need to done. It sounds like you are fired up over this man and i get that but being fired up and being ready....thats two different things!

lol...but i don't need to get up at 5:30... not if everything is packed and ready to go the night before. u can't start workin till 8:00 anyway...why do u need 2 and a half hrs to get ready in the morning?

lol...well i'm actually trying to get into tree climbing and i am definately new to it. i knew that price would prolly be way off either way. i just didn't want to be to high. its for a friends mom. the trees being limb don't start have limbs up to about 15-20 ft...and she wants about 10 more ft taken off.

i'm doin landscape work for her as well, not trying to be a lowballer but i know i'm makin money on other stuff too.

What is the purpose of cutting off more limbs? Since you know nothing about climbing or tree work, statements like this make me believe you know nothing about trees either. If your desire is to learn to climb and start doing tree work, you need to know the why and how of the business or your sucess will be very short lived. Be careful.

lol...but i don't need to get up at 5:30... not if everything is packed and ready to go the night before. u can't start workin till 8:00 anyway...why do u need 2 and a half hrs to get ready in the morning?

i take back all encouragement and instruction.

methinks you wouldnt last too long in the game with that working attitude.

those 2 and a 1/2 hrs are the most important, alot can be accomplished, and besides round here rez work can start at 7.

and here i was trying to, i dont know, not be so critical of people. seeing how everyone is so sensitive around here. speaking of sensitivity i thought tree guys were thick skinned and knew how to have some fun.

round here say something funny but maybe a little "rough" and it turns into the womens lockerroom with everyone running for the tampon dispenser to stop the bleeding.

i'm telling ya. its a shame.

toughen up a little and laugh a whole lot more. that how i live.

oldirty

i take back all encouragement and instruction.

methinks you wouldnt last too long in the game with that working attitude.

those 2 and a 1/2 hrs are the most important, alot can be accomplished, and besides round here rez work can start at 7.

and here i was trying to, i dont know, not be so critical of people. seeing how everyone is so sensitive around here. speaking of sensitivity i thought tree guys were thick skinned and knew how to have some fun.

round here say something funny but maybe a little "rough" and it turns into the womens lockerroom with everyone running for the tampon dispenser to stop the bleeding.

i'm telling ya. its a shame.

toughen up a little and laugh a whole lot more. that how i live.

oldirty

ok thanx
as long as i'm making money and having fun doing it, it doesn't realy matter when i start.
maybe for u it does?

Well i did the job
did it in about 4 hrs, took my time and over cautioned myself thru everything.
lady paid me and was overwelmingly appreciated
only had a ladder, but i ratchet strapped it to the tree so it wouldn't move.
i hoisted all braches and sections down with rope and pully.
she now wants me to come back and replace her dead zoisia and do a ton of mulch.

ok thanx
as long as i'm making money and having fun doing it, it doesn't realy matter when i start. .

:monkey:

Get some , baby. Start today !
Read a couple books, talk to a few Mexicans on their lunch break..
Sleep late , Get yourself a 200 T , put ISA on your business cards
BAM !! You're in the Tree business...
I'm talking greenery , baby !

:monkey:

Get some , baby. Start today !
Read a couple books, talk to a few Mexicans on their lunch break..
Sleep late , Get yourself a 200 T , put ISA on your business cards
BAM !! You're in the Tree business...
I'm talking greenery , baby !

sweet deal dude

Eh

Pay no attention to the dudes giving you a rash on here. Somebody ALWAYS has a better way and will criticize you no matter what you do. If your just gonna limb a few trees and cut down a couple, forget the damn $400 saws, use whatcha got and be SMART and SAFE about it. I think I'd charge a little more than that for the job, prolly in the neighborhood of 6 or 700, but that's just me.

:cheers:

If you listen to some of these morons they'll have you spending $1000 on something that'll sit for the next 5 yrs till you sell it from sitting...

, be SMART and SAFE about it. (you going to heed that advice?)

I think I'd charge a little more than that for the job, prolly in the neighborhood of 6 or 700, but that's just me.

:cheers:

wait a minute "dude".

are you not the guy dropping pines into the wires?

thought you were an electrician?

how the hell would you know how to price a job?

just because you own a couple rugged saws doesnt mean you can do tree work.

drag brush maybe but i have seen your sawing skills. wasnt overly impressed.

oldirty

ps Jason. i know you just saw how "easy" it was to make that 100 an hour. dont get greedy and end up in over your head. take on what you can handle and nothing else. congrats on the job.

wait a minute "dude".

are you not the guy dropping pines into the wires?

thought you were an electrician?

how the hell would you know how to price a job?

just because you own a couple rugged saws doesnt mean you can do tree work.

drag brush maybe but i have seen your sawing skills. wasnt overly impressed.

oldirty

ps Jason. i know you just saw how "easy" it was to make that 100 an hour. dont get greedy and end up in over your head. take on what you can handle and nothing else. congrats on the job.

oh yeah i won't. i have been doin landscaping for about 4 yrs now with pro companies. then when i decide to do it on my own and buy all the equipment, we go into a record breaking drought. So i figured i'd start learning how to cut trees.
i got a buddy whos gonna teach me...
Ever heard of Broadwater Arbor Management here in metro atlanta?

never stopped in georgia man. only driven through it on the way to florida.

good luck with your new mentor. remember, the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

oldirty

Nice dude, really nice. Do you have some repressed feelings for men hidden that caused that outburst??? Can you not afford a good saw and feel that it's a phallic symbol that gets you in the mood because of your shortcomings??? You've come to the right place if your looking for criticism dude...

:buttkick:

not sure if you are directing this towards me "dude" but no i have no repressed feelings for men. in fact i have no feelings at all.

and this little pic of mine is usually all it takes for me to "get in the mood" so to speak. the type of mood that comes from the knowing that i perform my job in a professional and SAFE manner. unlike your exploits. i dont need one big saw to drop wood into wire my friend.

i have this setup to get the job done. heck i'm a climber i dont need a monster saw in tree if i know how to make my cuts. that 359 plenty big enough. around these parts anyway.

oldirty

Last edited:
Let me try to get this thread back on track

The other two COULD continue their pissing match in the PM's. I am in the landscaping world also and started to do tree's for two reasons. 1) my customers asked if I did it so I figured a great add on service. 2) The money is great. I have taken arbormaster courses and read books and I'm taking a class over winter to get my arborist license. I have proper equipment and know how it's used properly. It sounded to me this is a young kid looking to make it big but seemed to me going to fast. I turn away tree jobs all the time because they are out on my league. A lot of good advice was given and it seems he is listening. Keep up the GOOD advice guys and don't hate landscapers because I know plenty of "tree guys" in my area that don't know how to price jobs either. Everyone needs to start somewhere and I'm sure most of you were lowballers at one time or another or did you come out of your moms womb tree climbing estimator guru's. Remember how it was to be young and hungry for work. I do and it continues today.
Pete

The other two COULD continue their pissing match in the PM's. I am in the landscaping world also and started to do tree's for two reasons. 1) my customers asked if I did it so I figured a great add on service. 2) The money is great. I have taken arbormaster courses and read books and I'm taking a class over winter to get my arborist license. I have proper equipment and know how it's used properly. It sounded to me this is a young kid looking to make it big but seemed to me going to fast. I turn away tree jobs all the time because they are out on my league. A lot of good advice was given and it seems he is listening. Keep up the GOOD advice guys and don't hate landscapers because I know plenty of "tree guys" in my area that don't know how to price jobs either. Everyone needs to start somewhere and I'm sure most of you were lowballers at one time or another or did you come out of your moms womb tree climbing estimator guru's. Remember how it was to be young and hungry for work. I do and it continues today.
Pete

You are absolutely right Brush Hog, Everybody has to start somewhere, And we have all pretty much made the same mistakes.
No one is born a tree climbing estimator guru. Or a tree anything , for that matter !
Ah, What most of us wouldn't give to be be young and hungry again !

All the bickering isn't helping this kid at all, and presents a very negative impression to the public about Arboristsite. And Arborist in general.

Last edited:
No one is born a tree climbing estimator guru. Or a tree anything , for that matter !

not sure about this statement here reach.

he might not do the bidding but my foreman makes things happen in a tree that clearly indicates he came out the womb with a saddle on.

fell'n to ornamental he is goood at it all.

i'd never tell him that though. lol

oldirty

Back