2 trees 7" diameter 50 ft tall...how much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLandscape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey i am a landscaper who cames across a tree job. i got 2 trees that are about 7" at the trunk and are about 50 ft tall that need to be cut completly down. then i have 7 trees that need to be limbed up to 25-30 ft. they are small limbs. we will haul everything away.

how much to do all this. i came up with a rough estimate of $450 considering only 2 people and we have a place to dump it for free. probally take us 4 hrs maybe more.

1/2 day for 450? WOW! No wonder us Arborists cant stand you lowballing landscRapers! Leave the tree work to the people who know how to properly care for trees.
Why are the trees being raised 25-30 feet? What size, and species are they? Are you certain that these speacies can comparmentalize a wound this size fully? How will this be doen, off a ladder, climbeing, bucket?

I think you should do it for $250, $450 seems like highway robbery. After all, two untrained monkeys don't earn $50 an hour.:givebeer: :fart:

lol...well i'm actually trying to get into tree climbing and i am definately new to it. i knew that price would prolly be way off either way. i just didn't want to be to high. its for a friends mom. the trees being limb don't start have limbs up to about 15-20 ft...and she wants about 10 more ft taken off.

i'm doin landscape work for her as well, not trying to be a lowballer but i know i'm makin money on other stuff too.

haha i just read what i wrote...i'm not climbing the trees they will be felled.

sorry for confusion.

but am going to try to start getting into climbing. take classes and stuff.

What type/size saws do you have/run???

well i don't have all th stihls saws yet. i plan on using a silky to delimb the trees. then i just have a homedepot mchulloch saw i'm gonna cut the 2 trees down with. like i said i do landscapin but i would like to get into tree cutting.

i will be using a ladder to delimb the trees. i will ty the ladder to the tree and ty myself to the tree as well. but i won't be 50 ft up with a chainsaw speedlining these or anything. basically i'm realy charging for the haul away.

well i don't have all th stihls saws yet. i plan on using a silky to delimb the trees. then i just have a homedepot mchulloch saw i'm gonna cut the 2 trees down with. like i said i do landscapin but i would like to get into tree cutting.

i will be using a ladder to delimb the trees. i will ty the ladder to the tree and ty myself to the tree as well. but i won't be 50 ft up with a chainsaw speedlining these or anything. basically i'm realy charging for the haul away.

No Comment.

Be Safe, and God Bless

No Comment.

Be Safe, and God Bless

lol...hey the house is far away at least. theres just some shrubs i gotta be carefull with...

don't worry i'll be back on here with all the gear and everything ready to go.

this one may be somewhat unpro...

but the price isn't too high?

No Comment.

Be Safe, and God Bless

lol

i love it. good advice.

normally i am too harsh in my criticism's of people who shouldnt be in a tree so i'll leave it to the other more sensitive types on this site.

ladders and home depot mcculluch saws are a great tools though.

yup, that was sarcasm. (i havent started using smilies and dont plan on it anytime soon)

oldirty

Last edited:
lol

i love it. good advice.

normally i am too harsh in my criticism's of people who shouldnt be in a tree so i'll leave it to the other more sensitive types on this site.

ladders and home depot mccullough saws are a great tools though.

yup, that was sarcasm. (i havent started using smilies and dont plan on it anytime soon)

oldirty

Ladders are just fine, at least the way Jason's planning to use them.

I'd say he'll do just fine on this job. Sound like the removals would take about 20 minutes each, including cleanup.

'cept for the boat anchor of a chainsaw....

lol

i love it. good advice.

ladders and home depot mcculluch saws are a great tools though.

oldirty

sweet thanx...

but i'm telling u this thread may have made me look stupid but in about a month i'll have a stihl setup, harness and spurs...right now i don't so i'm gonna do it best i can so i can make money to buy the good stuff.

Ladders are just fine, at least the way Jason's planning to use them.

I'd say he'll do just fine on this job. Sound like the removals would take about 20 minutes each, including cleanup.

'cept for the boat anchor of a chainsaw....

hey i was thinking about moving to spokane...is that a good area for landscaping and or tree cutting? i know i'm no arborist yet but for future reference?

wesspur has a couple good options for you regarding climbing kits. look into that.

save up for a ms 200t. best climbingsaw you can get although it a pretty penny. (worth every dollar i think) and the 338 is a stud as well though it'll need a massage to hang with the 200t

then find your self a solid 50-60 cc saw for your limbing and bucking. (i have a 359 husky modded) but others'll swear by the 361(stihl) or the 365 special. whatever feels right in your hand when working

and if you need a bigger saw think 372xp or 440 (stihl) for your bigger cuts. dont forget the 7900 from dolmar!

if you come into wood where you'll need a bigger saw, do yourself a favor and call a pro.

good luck.

oh yeah. books....fundamental of general tree work and the tree climbers companion. and a tree ID book so you know what your cutting.

again ask or offer a pro a couple bucks to help you along in the process.

oldirty

Don't bother buy the "good stuff" until you have spent a LOT of time as a groundie. Felling and trimming trees is not something you can just pick up and run with. This is, according to Discovery Channel, The World's Second Deadliest Job. They call it that for a reason.

I encourage you to join the ranks of those that have spent many years learning the proper way to handle the tools and the proper way to protect themselves and others around them. Property damage is always a big risk. Without proper, and repeated, training, you might become one of the statistics that we all hate to read about.

Do us, and yourself, a favor and leave the testosterone toting "big man with big saw" attitude at home and get a position with a company that can provide the training you really need. The world needs eager young guys to be interested in this field. But we need them to stay around for several years.

As stated earlier, "Good luck and God bless".

wesspur has a couple good options for you regarding climbing kits. look into that.

save up for a ms 200t. best climbingsaw you can get although it a pretty penny. (worth every dollar i think) and the 338 is a stud as well though it'll need a massage to hang with the 200t

then find your self a solid 50-60 cc saw for your limbing and bucking. (i have a 359 husky modded) but others'll swear by the 361(stihl) or the 365 special. whatever feels right in your hand when working

and if you need a bigger saw think 372xp or 440 (stihl) for your bigger cuts. dont forget the 7900 from dolmar!

if you come into wood where you'll need a bigger saw, do yourself a favor and call a pro.

good luck.

oh yeah. books....fundamental of general tree work and the tree climbers companion. and a tree ID book so you know what your cutting.

again ask or offer a pro a couple bucks to help you along in the process.

oldirty

sweet deal dude. thanx for the info...i actually held the 200t at the store yesterday and it was unreal light.

i want to take a climbing class with the parks and rec in my area.

then i'll be goin to barnes and noble and reading everybook possible about trees and rope tying.

i would love to go work for a company but i don't think i have time. i'd much rather just meet a climber and do some weekend climbing or somethin.

the main reason i want to get into tree climbing is cuz it will be one more thing i can get a rush on. i wanna do it safely tho. I'm into downhill biking along with backcountry snowboarding.

Don't bother buy the "good stuff" until you have spent a LOT of time as a groundie. Felling and trimming trees is not something you can just pick up and run with. This is, according to Discovery Channel, The World's Second Deadliest Job. They call it that for a reason.

I encourage you to join the ranks of those that have spent many years learning the proper way to handle the tools and the proper way to protect themselves and others around them. Property damage is always a big risk. Without proper, and repeated, training, you might become one of the statistics that we all hate to read about.

Do us, and yourself, a favor and leave the testosterone toting "big man with big saw" attitude at home and get a position with a company that can provide the training you really need. The world needs eager young guys to be interested in this field. But we need them to stay around for several years.

As stated earlier, "Good luck and God bless".

yeah...

u don't think theres a safe way of learning to climb without having to work as a groundie for ever?

man, i put over 4 years in on the floor and in that first yr i didnt touch a saw until about 6+ months in. i have been climbing now for ,well this is winter will be the start of my 6th yr now. (time is flying!)

did learn how to properly care for them though in that first yr. wasnt allowed to run rope either till i could wrap them and recite a couple basic knots.

you can just run up a tree and start hacking away but if you dont watch from the ground for a good amount of time you wont be able to recognize any of the dangers you can put yourself in. and they are numerous.

again you can go up with no idea what your doing and be "successful" in a few of your efforts but and i repeat but you are only gambling, and heavily at that.

just read those books and find a savvy veteran you can learn from. but i am telling you this, if he is worth his salt he will teach you nothing until you can prove to him that you are capable and willing.

best of luck

oldirty

Last edited:
Back