2 Ways to give Arboriculture a Black Eye

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:blob2:Me Me I did it!:blob2:
(parts deleted for brevity)

Dam, John. You beat me to it. Plus, I have never reported anybody, and don't know how. YET!

You indicated elsewhere that you were working on your english and composition skills? You forgot punctuation.
That should be "Me! Me! I did it!" Each "Me" is an exclamatory statement, and stands alone, unless used in a series: Me, me, me! (which doesn't work nearly as well)

http://grammar.about.com/od/e/g/exclamsent7term.htm

:blob2: Har! Har! Har! :blob2:
(use your best "pirate" voice)

That should be "Me! Me! I did it!" Each "Me" is an exclamatory statement, and stands alone, unless used in a series: Me, me, me! (which doesn't work nearly as well)

:laugh: you should'a used a red "ink" for the corrections.
I put in "$$" after my "@" sign. I guess the profanity filter is too smart for me.

Just that the mod's have seen too much of it.

I don't know. I was winging it; I don't know how to cuss on-line. I guess maybe the reader has to think about it?

I don't either, I was being a little facetious

Last edited:
Look the truth is...yes we do get abusive toward one another, the other truthful fact is; if you post a thread with limited insight all the while correcting other posters in an attempt to look "smarter" then that in & of its self is wrong.

The thread title has substance, yet the originator has gone off on a schooling tangent which in turn is the reason for the crude beating!

to remark about the title: A true Black eye is given to this profession by those who "think" they have all the answers & down grade others opinions with lack of substance responses!

Yes we as climbers look down on non-climbing know it all Cert. arborists....why? cause the criteria of being an "true" arborist is not in the letter of the title, but in the spirit of the title.....not too mention the arrogance & condescending attitude coming from such a person along with PR skills promoting talent when there is a lack of ability to perform, thus we call people like this liars!

letter of the title meaning: all book smarts, certifications, diplomas, etc.. with no real experience in the areas there should be!

spirit of the title meaning: book smarts & an eagerness to learn more, while embracing their trade/craft in a way that shows! not doing so for any other reason than a sincere like/love of the trade, well rounded but may not have all the papers as the guy above, but has hands on!

whats sad is when someone will opine on a topic giving a view of a talent in which they dont have , never had or ever will have......in this case the ability to Climb the black eye in arboriculture IMO comes from slick tongued people with a gift of gab, usually with a little knowledge or stolen ( they prefer borrowed) trade elements characterizing it as their own! or promoting themselves by false means, means which they acquired from someone else!

nuff said by me,

LXT.................

tree MDS ...

You could probably pull it off for a bit over a grand - plane, car rent and room.

Here's one for you below - pic was taken by Beranek last summer.

attachment.php

No money or time when I do have the $ mario, maybe within the next couple years though. I dreamed of taking a ride across country to see them in my 67 firebird when I was in my early 20's. It just never happened due to whatever.

If I ever do go I'll know who to ask about where to look though.

Nice pic BTW, thats gotta be awesome to see.

If I ever do go I'll know who to ask about where to look though.

Nice pic BTW, thats gotta be awesome to see.

Whenever it's convenient to come out - drop a line.

I think you would enjoy the area this image here is from. Known to a few as the Valley of the Lost Groves.

The center trunk in this cathedral ring does not show up very well, but it caught my eye due to bark ridges bigger than any I've ever seen. It's broken off now, with just a speck of life, besides the ring of trees from it. I think that this tree was in the size range of the Lindsey Creek Tree or Crannel Giant that existed years ago.

So this whole cluster in the pic, is just one Titanic redwood trunk and it's basal sprouts. Hard to tell in the image, but the bark ridges are as wide as a man's body standing sideways. This tree must have been in another league of maturity than the 3 largest known now.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Whenever it's convenient to come out - drop a line.

I think you would enjoy the area this image here is from. Known to a few as the Valley of the Lost Groves.

The center trunk in this cathedral ring does not show up very well, but it caught my eye due to bark ridges bigger than any I've ever seen. It's broken off now, with just a speck of life, besides the ring of trees from it. I think that this tree was in the size range of the Lindsey Creek Tree or Crannel Giant that existed years ago.

So this whole cluster in the pic, is just one Titanic redwood trunk and it's basal sprouts. Hard to tell in the image, but the bark ridges are as wide as a man's body standing sideways. This tree must have been in another league of maturity than the 3 largest known now.

attachment.php

Then a hub and spoke cabling system is called for, looks like about 50-75K to me, send better pics of the overall cluster so I can firm up the bid for yu, sir.

jomoco

18 years "in the canopy", 20 years treework.

So that's 37 years you've got... 35 with a saw clipped to your stone washed jeans before you figured out there was a better way?? lol.

Is it just me or is that a little screwed up?

Climbing without a saddle doesnt count as treework, sorry.

And yes, unfortunately I do have too much time on my hands in the winter.

I've been climbing trees since I could walk. It's just something I come by naturally. I'm more comfortable in the trees sometimes than on the ground.

Is using a saddle a better way? Maybe. It allows me to do some really fun stuff in the trees I never would be able to do without the saddle and ropes. That and the fact that I have a family that depends on me staying healthy and getting up the next day to go to work. I'll bet a good portion of the trees I've taken down in the past would have been down on the ground before you set your lines.

You may not think of it as tree work without a saddle but the trees are down, no damage to anything, no injuries to anyone and the clients have all been very pleased. All that without a saddle. Call it what you want but it works for me.:greenchainsaw:

... I climbed Devils Tower a number of years back, the Durance is one of the highest trafficked routes in the US, and the hard rock is worn so smooth in places ...

JPS ...

Here's a redwood called SKULL RACK that reminds me of the rock climbing gyms.

Think you could tackle one like this by hand jamming ?

The earlier redwood, I've posted on this forum before, but a different view. Several that I'm adding today are more recently taken.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have to admit, it would be freaking awsome to see redwoods of that size in person. Personaly I would enjoy walking around on the forest floor amongst the giants more than climbing one. The chance to see one in person would be good enough for me.

As far as rec climbing goes. There needs to be something setup that proves that you are a capable climber who knows what he/she is doing. whether it be a permit, course taught by forest service, or whatever. If climbing in an area where trees are being researched, the trees in question need to be marked with a sign or your permit needs to say "this species is off limits for scientific reasons" or something similar. If need be state forest services should get involved to regulate where trees are climbed and what trees can be climbed. Something like a hunting season for animals but for trees, which tells you which trees in an area can be climbed and for how long. This way every one is happy, the trees can be climbed and protected.
This is only my 2 cents worth.

M.D. why do you copyright pics?

A fair number of my pics are from undisclosed groves where the largest 4 coast redwoods are located. Although a couple of teensy images exist elsewhere from some folks, many of my photos are the only ones on the internet at sizes over 600 pixels wide, that I'm aware of.

The research scientist clan was VERY stingy about making images available online, to the general public.

Speaking of skulls (skull rack was previous)

This is Drury Tree in Prairie Creek redwoods. It's like the 16th largest coast redwood by volume. The trunk looks like it's got a 1/2 SKULL on it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
1. Undermine Arborist Site by promotion of your Tree Forum? Yes, or no?
2. Introduction of other Forums undermine your competitor - this forum? Yes or no?
3. Personal attack? Yes, or no?

It's your post and image.

Again you miss the point, because you cannot comprehend.

And the type of questions you ask shows the burning comtempt you hold against many things, people are just one but mainly anything that you perceive as a threat to your online persona and rule.

When you've finished "greasing" the facts with your venomous slant then you'll be able to comprehend a bit better.

Again, here's the facts, you removed links.

Now the links that did stay are organisations that are funded with members, businesses in fact, businesses that aren't free access to all like forums. You wont get quick replies or help like you do at forums.

But Mario's mind doesn't think consistently when it is fuelled by the Dark side like it is.

You decide, see the facts, work the coincidences and decide for yourself what this wanker is all about.

Then by me pointing this out you try to insinuate that I undermine this place and have some hidden agenda.... yet I speak for all those links, regardless which ones and you merrily made yourself President of Wiki and called an election on something that frankly I see as fuelled by sour grapes and illogical composure, which I have substantiated why in the above quoted post ... you left funded organisational links (businesses)! :monkey:

In Richard Preston's book: THE WILD TREES

He mentioned redwoods Kronos and Rhea. Here, Kronos left, and Rhea right. I took this from next to Zeus. Posted this one mainly for Trivia. Up in Zeus is where Dr. Steve Sillett & Marie Antoinne were engaged.

See the big limb on the left of Kronos? The horizontal limb is about 7' in diameter, and the larger of the stems that reiterated from it is about 3' to 4' in diameter. That's what Preston called Kronos Wood or Complex.

attachment.php

Last edited:
attachment.php

Looks like somebody compacting the soil and compromising the health of a redwood for their own interests. Don't you see it that way Vaden?

Back