2 Ways to give Arboriculture a Black Eye

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. I'll bet a good portion of the trees I've taken down in the past would have been down on the ground before you set your lines.

i am calling BS on this statement. BS!

cmon man. for starters, the tree's on the cape are tiny. second, a real climber on your little pecker poles would be living the life wearing just the basic saddle flipline and spike combo for takedowns.

dont try to justify the wrong way youve been dong it. i dont buy your skills man. no way no how.

Developmentally handicapped tree climbers

cmon man. for starters, the tree's on the cape are tiny. second, a real climber on your little pecker poles would be living the life wearing just the basic saddle flipline and spike combo for takedowns.

dont try to justify the wrong way youve been dong it. i dont buy your skills man. no way no how.

I like the part about 35 years climbing without a saddle before seeing the light - gotta be something inherently wrong there. lol.

Hey cape, good thing you stumbled onto AS, I dont think you would ever make it up those Redwoods you so wi####lly speak of climbing with just the old stonewashed jeans, lol.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Looks like somebody compacting the soil and compromising the health of a redwood for their own interests. Don't you see it that way Vaden?

Not at all.

Part of the answer is in my redwood pages - one of them. That's one reason I'm glad I found a lot of these. Some of the trees have so much surface roots and natural needle mulch, that soil compaction is IMPOSSIBLE underneath. Some trees more than others. You ever seen the surface roots that a maple tree will form in a lawn in 100 years? Ask yourself how much surface root and needle would be on the ground surface under a 2000 year old tree.

Also, the time of year matters a lot. Dry soil on the surface rarely compacts from human weight.

Last edited:
JPS ...
Think you could tackle one like this by hand jamming ?

Slip siding away...

I've been climbing trees since I could walk. It's just something I come by naturally. I'm more comfortable in the trees sometimes than on the ground.

I guess every kid is a treeworker, and I need to find a new profession because any one can do it.

I'll bet a good portion of the trees I've taken down in the past would have been down on the ground before you set your lines.

I have a feeling OD is right; you do not know what you are talking about and listen to yourself tell yourself how good you are too often.

As long as this is a bust on people thread...

You may not think of it as tree work without a saddle but the trees are down, no damage to anything

It is not professional, but then you knew I would say something like that if i answered. One cannot work safe without mechanical contact.

That's one reason I'm glad I found a lot of these. Some of the trees have so much surface roots and natural needle mulch, that soil compaction is IMPOSSIBLE underneath. Some trees more than others.

I was not concerned about your walking there, but the crack you are showing in the picture. :eek:

How is that for off topic, not a topic I want to see again please :laugh:

I was not concerned about your walking there, but the crack you are showing in the picture. :eek:

How is that for off topic, not a topic I want to see again please :laugh:

JPS ...

You're such a great guy on the AS forum, that I'll go the extra mile for you on this one - LOL

Here is an enlargement :)

That's the T-shirt under my red long sleeve shirt.

:cheers:

attachment.php

I don't care. No way, no how.:smoking:

I have a feeling OD is right; you do not know what you are talking about and listen to yourself tell yourself how good you are too often.

It is not professional, but then you knew I would say something like that if i answered. One cannot work safe without mechanical contact.
Pretty funny stuff. This from the modest guy that claims to everyone he's an "above average" climber. And old dirtys got 5 years experience? Now that's expertise!

I know what I can do and have done and don't care what you think.

Last edited:
Pretty funny stuff. This from the modest guy that claims to everyone he's an "above average" climber. And old dirtys got 5 years experience? Now that's expertise!

What the heck could you possibly have been doing for 35 years without ropes and a saddle cape?? And how would you attach your saw?

JPS ...

Now here you go.

A crack at the butt of the tree.

Redwood called "Scar Face"

How's that for a Butt Crack :)

Pretty cool tree actually. A lot of people probably zip past it on the way to cross the foot bridge into Lady Bird Johnson grove. Very nicely formed top. It's at the edge of the parking lot there.

attachment.php

What the heck could you possibly have been doing for 35 years without ropes and a saddle cape?? And how would you attach your saw?

For one, I have never said I have working the trees for 35 years. I've been climbing them for 35 years. As a kid, I climbed every tree I could get my self into. I've been working the trees off and on since 1988 but steady for the past 12 years. As far as how I do what I do or have done, I've been through it all before. Nobody believes it but thats ok. I just don't care.:smoking:

And old dirtys got 5 years experience? Now that's expertise!

its oldirty.

6 yrs climbing never mind the early ground years. set free after working for a couple studs in this area. ive seen it done the right way and ive learned that way.

i can call your statement bs because i have also seen it done the wrong way. i dont work like that.

i watched a guy do a lot next to us in arlington mass the other day. he was missing a tooth in his smile. roofless toofless i called him. bumpy too, it was wierd.

anyway, all he would do was spike up a bit and then set his flipline as high as he could reach it and choke it. his one TIP. and work up to that point and repeat the process. every single cut he made would be a reaching 1 handed salami cut with a 346xp. ( he was real proud of that saw btw. had the silver top.) the branches above him he'd fast cut and lean back to avoid the brush, inches from his flipline. his one TIP.

anyway, this guy. roofless toofless as i call him told me he had been climbing that way since 89' and didnt really have the time to be setting lines to get around the tree. because his way had worked this far for him. when i showed him the way i climb and the climbing setup's from my coworker's, he still didnt buy in.

the moral of the story you ask?

at least this knucklehead, who has no time to set a line, at the very least uses a saddle and flipline to go with his spikes while he is one handing his medium saw/climbing saw on a small tree.

For one, I have never said I have working the trees for 35 years. I've been climbing them for 35 years. As a kid, I climbed every tree I could get my self into. I've been working the trees off and on since 1988 but steady for the past 12 years. As far as how I do what I do or have done, I've been through it all before. Nobody believes it but thats ok. I just don't care.:smoking:

Ok, now its alittle more realistic - ten years doing treework without a saddle...for money I assume?

the moral of the story you ask?

at least this knucklehead, who has no time to set a line, at the very least uses a saddle and flipline to go with his spikes while he is one handing his medium saw/climbing saw on a small tree.

Thats not a moral, its just a synopsis. :chatter: But again, I don't care, really.

Good night folks. Gotta get some sleep before I go plowing.

For those interested more in facts than opinions, I just ran across this, free from the ISA website:

http://www.isa-arbor.com/publications/arbNews/pdfs/Oct07-feature.pdf

:taped:
great link treeseer, lots of good links to more great facts and info. i agree 100% with all the folks on keeping any climbers other than research study groups/teams out of the most valued trees on the planet. trespassers should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law!!NINJA'S GO HOME!!!!!:buttkick:

The OP needs to find some more important things to flip out about, such as hacks like Nosak.

Leave the rec climbers alone.....

Good night folks. Gotta get some sleep before I get plowed.

Yo cape, :agree2: you takin or receiving? :laugh:
P.S you betta get back ta begging fer rep cause you in the wrong place to talk **** on JPS or ol'd :censored: :monkey:

The OP needs to find some more important things to flip out about, such as hacks like Nosak.

Leave the rec climbers alone.....
I'm all for rec climbing just not in protected forests. there is a huge difference between rec climbing and wreck climbing:dizzy:

Within the past 1/2 year, more than one tree worker has been posting about recreational climbs in Rockefeller Forest area, on a couple of forums. Photos, videos and commentary. Promoting illigitimate climbing, again, is one more way to lessen the arborist profession as a whole.

Both #1 and #2 are irresponsible acts that tend to give arboriculture a black eye, especially if the individuals or companies are advertising being professionals. If they are Certified, such habits transform certification into dirt.

What if the rec climber is not an arborist at all but a former rock climber? Would this practice still (somehow) give arborists a black eye?

Back