20" or 24" bar for MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed in Maine

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got my new MS361 with a 16" bar, for all around use. But I need to take down some 5-10 yr old stumps that are left from a previous cutting. They are thick are the base, a 20" bar would get throughmost of them but there are a few that a 24" would be nice for. Should I just get a 24" bar?

I won't cut but a dozen or so a year, should I just get a cheapo from ebay or take my time shopping for a used stihl roll'r? Will the MS361 pull a regular spaced tooth chain or do I need a 'skip', I haven't ever seen a skip, just read about it some on AS.

A little new to the big stuff, any help is appreciated! Does anyone else drive down the road saying, wow, that would be a fun tree to cut down? This is addicting!
Ed

"wow, that would be a fun tree to cut down? This is addicting!"

Never happened before that I am aware of,,,,,, LOL

The 361 isn't going to like a 24" bar burried in a stump.
A skip chain would help the 361 with a 24 attached but A 440 would be better, but then a 460 would be even more better, and a 660 would even be more better yet,,

It goes on and on, you better plan now for excuses for the wife and areas to store saws. You need a saw bench too, vise, filing and sharpening tooling:hmm3grin2orange:

With that limited number of stumps, my proposal is that you use an 18" or 20" bar with RM chain, and cut from 2 sides, using wedges to hold the cut open.

Yes, the 24" may be a bit much. The 361 was rippin' with the 16" on it burried in a stump. It was just hard to get each of my cuts level when cutting so low with such a short blade, so the top of the stump isn't quite as smooth as I would like. I need the stumps to be low and smooth so our wood hauling trailer doesn't get hung up. Will search ebay for a 20" B&C, maybe just oregon brand?

I've already been keeping my eyes open for a beat up 440. But I love my 361, I used my buddy's MS290 yesterday. Night and day difference...

OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so hosed and you don't even know it :hmm3grin2orange: :notrolls2:

I wouldn't be afraid at all of running full comp 24" on the 361, my 390 pulled it fine in hardwoods, and the 361 is a much better saw!!!! Look for a GB portop if you don't want to pay for a Stihl and wont be using it that much, GB makes a fine bar and they are considerably less money.
Andy

I'm surfing through ebay right now, will basically come down to price. Good point on the GB. I'd like to get out of it for <$60, for bar and chain. I need to get on stihl.com and see what RM chain is. The auction I'm looking at is 33RSC-72.

The wedge tip is awesome, I have never used wedges (don't own any yet, emaphsis on yet). Some of thes 'stumps' are 4ft tall, i.e a log of weight pushing down on the entire bar. Wedge would take care of that.
Ed

Ed in Maine said:
Yes, the 24" may be a bit much. The 361 was rippin' with the 16" on it burried in a stump. It was just hard to get each of my cuts level when cutting so low with such a short blade, so the top of the stump isn't quite as smooth as I would like. I need the stumps to be low and smooth so our wood hauling trailer doesn't get hung up. Will search ebay for a 20" B&C, maybe just oregon brand?

I've already been keeping my eyes open for a beat up 440. But I love my 361, I used my buddy's MS290 yesterday. Night and day difference...

An Oregon Pro-Lite should be more than good enough for that amount of use.
The mount pattern is D025 in Oregon language.....

With the wedges, buy twice as many as you think you need!!! I never dreamt they would be as handy as they are!!! It is just second nature for me now to put two in my pocket before I head for a tree. Awsome little tools!!
Andy

When my 360 was Stihl alive, all it wore was a 24" bar with full comp chain, it did fine in 30" oak, hickory, just couldn't lean on it is all. Keeping the chain sharp was the big key, I touch up my chains with each fill-up during a days cutting, more often if rocked, skip chain will be easier on the saw. All my Stihl saws wear ES bars and Stihl chains.

Have fun with your shopping.

After seeing caseys pic of the 28" bar, I can't wait to get mine in :hmm3grin2orange: I just got a brand new 28" stihl es bar off ebay for forty bucks. Now just waiting for the big brown truck to deliver.

No problem what-so-ever with a 361 and 24 (25) inch. For stump work use RMF (Semi-chisel skip) - don't use chisel in stumps -the tiniest blob of dirt and you won't be cutting any more.

Another way to go with this job.

Ed in Maine said:

Hello Ed, Just my thoughts here, but if this is dirty work and you don't have that many stumps to cut you might think about renting a big saw for a day or two. That 361 may be just too purty to get down in the grime. LOL:laugh:

I like the semi chisel skip idea, RMF. I am not looking to break any records cutting the stumps down, just don't want to beat on the saw too much. I think the 24in with a skip and some wedges will be a sweet setup. Will find a bar on ebay (stihl ES hopefully) and stop by to see my dealer buddy for a chain. Will post pics and results in a few weeks.

Would be fun to have a beater 440 kicking around, but the 361 will have to get dirty for now! ooooohh, 440 on ebay with a 25" bar for $350, hummmm....

Ed

Back