2013 Garden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More garden picts...

Today i dug the remainder of my garlic...here's the before,

standard.jpg

And here's the after!

standard.jpg

Most of the "heads" are huge, as are the heads of brocholi i've been cutting,

standard.jpg

I also wanted a few potatoes to eat, so i pulled one of my Yukon Gold plants,

standard.jpg

Many years ago i trans planted some brown cedar tree's along the road in front of my house. I see i have some "guards" out there too!

standard.jpg

I don't think you'd want to mess around with these guys!!

standard.jpg

That's it for this time...

SR

Still getting loads of cucumbers & green beans. I got the corn and potatoes in late but they're coming along.

attachment.php

Everyone I talk to around here is having trouble with tomatoes not ripening or at least taking much longer than usual.

Any thoughts on why this would be? It has been a wet year and other than one really hot week, colder than usual.

Any thoughts on why this would be?

Sure...
It has been a wet year and other than one really hot week, colder than usual.

There's your answer.

Wet isn't necessarily the problem other than potentially leaching nutrients and encouraging bad fungi. But if its raining, the sun ain't shining, which usually means its a cool day.

Most Toms need about 1300 growing degree-days to ripen from the time the fruit forms. Early varieties will get down in the 1000-1100 range.

GDD: (Daily High Fº + Daily Low Fº)/2 - 50

With an additional caveat for tomatoes -- highest high you use is 85 since above 85 they just hang out in the hammock sipping pina coladas instead of working to ripen.

My record worst, at least recorded in my notes, is getting my first ripe tomato on September 9th :dizzy:

I'd say this year is about average, to maybe a week behind schedule for me.

Edited:
1) It's the time from fruiting you need 1300 GDDs (said the wrong thing originally)
2) Looks like Harrisburg, PA currently you have to go back to June 20th to add up to 1300GDDs. So that's like 7 weeks on the vine the tomatoes are taking to ripen.

Last edited:
Good post, thanks.

It's taking longer than seven weeks here but we are higher in elevation than Harrisburg.

That's a good looking tomato...

I've been running mine through my Victoria strainer,

standard.jpg

and canning them,

standard.jpg

I've also been canning grn beans and dry beans,

standard.jpg

And today i canned more sweetcorn,

standard.jpg

We've been eating it for a while now,

standard.jpg

I also dug a few more Yukon Golds too,

standard.jpg

SR

That's a good looking tomato...

I've been running mine through my Victoria strainer,

standard.jpg

Cheater :p

I have to core 'em and run them through the blender...I peeled the last batch, but I'm thinking with the garden tomatoes (well washed) as long as I cut off bad looking spots it should be fine.

Have figured out leaving the puree in mason jars for a bit separates out most of the water -- I then took a tygon tube and siphoned that out. Since I don't have toms coming in fast enough this week to make another batch of sauce, I'm freezing the puree till I have enough to cook up and can.

My "peak" for the big tomatoes was about a week and a half ago, but I should be getting a steady supply for at least another 3-4 weeks, probably till frost even.

I thought i'd add another pict. here, as i can't edit my last post to add it in there.

I have some really nice tomatoes again this year, I picked two pails of them yesterday and canned some last night,

standard.jpg

Actually, i mix two varieties when i can them, Big Boys and Roma's... The "meaty" Roma's have less juice, but still have a lot of flavour.

SR

Latest posts

Back