2014 good or bad???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How was 2014 for you? Other than blowing out my back and being down 4 weeks and living like hank williams jr. i've found the good customers are paying for high quality work better than ever, and the low quality customers are broker than ever... Many of the start up hacks from the 2008/2009 crash have left the industry and hoping for a excellent 2015 year... What's in the future for the industry?

How was 2014 for you? Other than blowing out my back and being down 4 weeks and living like hank williams jr. i've found the good customers are paying for high quality work better than ever, and the low quality customers are broker than ever... Many of the start up hacks from the 2008/2009 crash have left the industry and hoping for a excellent 2015 year... What's in the future for the industry?

2014 was my best year yet. I'm still busy, usually we are slow this time of year. I got a lot of repeat business and word of mouth business. I even cut my advertising in half this year. I'm looking forward to 2015!

As an old tree guy in business for myself since 1986 I'm just glad to still be alive in 2014. The company I worked for from 1980 to 1986 worked me like a mule. I have abused myself with whiskey and cigarettes for 36 years. My back, hips and knees are shot. Good year...every year I make it another year will be a good year.

The spring and summer was a surprising bust. Then fall made up for it. Lots of new players in this tree game. All in all, I'd say it was an ok year. I knew it was going to be a tough one with every landscaping company buying a chipper.

Had a good year. A few setbacks but came out better from them. Moving forward and growing. Hoping to really put out some work this year. Been getting more of the customers that I want( ones that know quality comes with a price). Had some recent inspiration from other members here.

Had a good year. A few setbacks but came out better from them. Moving forward and growing. Hoping to really put out some work this year. Been getting more of the customers that I want( ones that know quality comes with a price). Had some recent inspiration from other members here.

After a while and it did take a while people were willing to pay more to have us do it. At first we were in the Same boat as every other hack. If you build a solid reputation it sells itself.

Started the year in a bad funk and wasnt feeling it. I came out of that and been kicking butt since! I still have work and they are big jobs. It has been a great year since i got out of my funck!

I finally had surgery to fix a six year problem that's been holding me back its really lit a fire under me to get back in a tree and not have my shirt covered in blood.

I finally had surgery to fix a six year problem that's been holding me back its really lit a fire under me to get back in a tree and not have my shirt covered in blood.
What kind of surgery?

I had a tube inserted into my stomach so they could feed me years ago when I was paralyzed, It was in for close to a year. The hole wouldn't close about the size of a dime. This was the third attempt and I think they finally got it. Every time I used my abdominal muscles it would tear and bleed. Damn thing was open for six years. Sweat about brought me To my knees when it got in there.

Paralyzed? Wow i didn't know that[emoji52]
Ya in 2007 for about a year really weird thing called GBS syndrome that just comes and goes but causes a ton of damage. Body creates to many white blood cells that attack your nerve endings on your spine. So until they heal you cant move and nerves take forever to repair. I was full paralysis only could move my eyes for a few months.

Ya in 2007 for about a year really weird thing called GBS syndrome that just comes and goes but causes a ton of damage. Body creates to many white blood cells that attack your nerve endings on your spine. So until they heal you cant move and nerves take forever to repair. I was full paralysis only could move my eyes for a few months.
Wow thats crazy....i'm glad to see you recovered and are back at it.

You must have had a long rehab. Just going a few weeks without working like I did this summer caused me to loose alot of my strength. I wore down fast way to fast when i came back.you can't strengthen Tree man muscles in a gym lol

As a part time gig, 20 hours a week or so, work was great. Lots of jobs that fit my equipment efficiently and all the work was nothing but word of mouth and repeats. Looking to scoop up a mini skid this winter and do some maintenance/improvement on my current equipment.

You must have had a long rehab. Just going a few weeks without working like I did this summer caused me to loose alot of my strength. I wore down fast way to fast when i came back.you can't strengthen Tree man muscles in a gym lol
Ya it took months of in patient rehab was told I would never do it again. I was supposed to do like six months of out patient but didn't have the finances to support that and quit. I started climbing before I had full range of motion back in my legs. I was going broke so decided to risk it. But I bounced back loading wood all day wasn't an option anymore so I started picking up machinery to fill the gap. I have two kids and would defuse bombs for a living before I let them go without a home.

Latest posts

Back