2016 Iowa spring gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PVC pipe flexed into bows.

(Won't help with mosquitoes though).

Philbert
Nice idea, Philbert. Mosquitoes are likely not a problem in early spring. I may also have some thin scrap wood strips or I could rip some up about 1/4" thick and 1-1/2" wide. You guys know exactly how to get my creative mind in motion. :rolleyes:

Agreed on the rain, except that the tarp roof has no pitch for runoff if the rain ever gets heavy. I'm working on that. A simple knock-down frame could rest under the tarp. I could make that in my shop if the weather forecast goes sour. Where there's a will there's a way.

Hoop house concept, just a few pieces of say ten foot pvc pipe, and some like conduit hangers or something to slip them into. Stick in one, bend it over, stick in the other one. 3 or 4 across will give a nice shape to the tarp that will shed water swell. Want to get fancy, Ts in the middle at the bow top and some short straight pieces to give a ridge.

post 113, sir....
Somehow I like the idea of the thinner bent-hoop stock, forming an arch. The 2 x 4 or wider as mentioned in post 113 would be heavy and have to be cut with a band saw to create the arch. I could drill 1/4" holes at the centers and have a center truss connecting about four or five rafters. Then use 1" long 1/4" bolts or twine to fasten it all together. The tension on the bent rafters might be enough to hold them to the side rails without any anchors at all (maybe some more twine). At least 2' of added head would be available.

The materials all added together, if made with Doug fir, would probably weigh less than five pounds. I'm surprised something like his isn't sold somewhere. Call it an arched tonneau cover.

Arch supports?
View attachment 486878

Philbert
That's a 10. No doubt about it. Let the rain fall and the wind blow. I'll still do my best to make it to the Iowa GTG and the tarp will hang over the side rails, one way or the other.

Phlibert, forget the huge mosquitoes. These "birds" have been isolated in Minnesota for a late June infestation when they suddenly attack.

I heard a rumor the is to be Mighty Mite Bantam races. So, just in case, I got this ready.
View attachment 486852

Struggle? Tallguy?

We can use an oven timer.[emoji106]
I did a little work on a m&m tonight. Just a simple carb clean points clean add a flywheel key build a muffler out of welding wire and clean the throttle high idle button. Still need to clean & straighten the bar and chain might need a file drag or two. My saw was next to new obviously.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I did a little work on a m&m tonight. Just a simple carb clean points clean add a flywheel key build a muffler out of welding wire and clean the throttle high idle button. Still need to clean & straighten the bar and chain might need a file drag or two. My saw was next to new obviously.

Can't wait to see it and you at the GTG, TallGuy, However, it does start and run, right? If you get this thing running, tell me the chain specs and I'll bring you a brand new loop. (pitch, gauge, and number of DL's)

Thanks for the offer Edwin. I have a pile of chains I need to look through first. This is a high stakes race so I may have to file a special chain.

Is the little guy in the front eligible for your races?

View attachment 488104
How well do you think that little red puppy would do against a Stihl 015 L top handle? Both would qualify for the small class antique division. I also have an 010 AV that's been around for years. The rules say no saws with chain brakes allowed in the antique saw classes.

Latest posts

Back