2018 441cm or 372x-torq?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squatch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve done searches and most debates are from 2-4 years ago.

If buying a 70cc saw tomorrow which would you buy and why? Dealer support for Stihl is better, I don’t know of a dolkita dealer in 150 square miles so not interested. Difference in cost between the Stihl and husky is about $100. Husky being cheaper. A 461 is 200 more than the 441, and any are going to tap the budget. I have spare stihl bars in various lengths.

The bars shouldn't be a deciding factor. You can get an adapter to run the stihl bars on the 372.

I don't have much experience with the 372. I've run a few 441s and didn't feel strongly about them either way. They're both good saws. Personally I'd probably pick the 372 since you can buy a wrap handle kit with the big dogs for $30 if you ever want it. Also, I'm kinda tired of the local stihl dealer.

By the way, you can buy a 365x-torq and do a little grinding on the transfer covers and have yourself a 372 for a good amount less $$.

Yeah I’m buying one or the other tomorrow and having a really difficult time deciding.

either or would do the trick. As always aftermarket service is the biggest indicator for the two makes in my opinion. if you can get equal service from both, then it boils down to your preferences...the husky has historically had better filtration and antivibe, though I think stihl now copies the antivibe that husky uses. the handles are slightly different in angles leading to slightly different angles of the dangle when using. might want to take some time just holding the two different saws and seeing which angle fits your posture better. I would also look at balance when holding as well as real world weight with the same size bars attached. (Ignore the literature IRT weight, they are both full of feces.) Ask the dealer to mount the same length bars on both and let you try holding them (not gassed or running so not "used" (IRT future sales) so you can access the real world weight and balance of the two. being they are not being gassed, oiled or started I would think the dealer would not have an issue with this. You can move it around a bit there in the shop and get an idea of their individual weights and balances.

Just my ¥2.4 worth.

Was thinking of going with the 441, because m-tronic over x-torque. But still unsure. Only 1 good husky dealer nearby vs 3 good Stihl dealers. All will service husky though... so
Having both(the 365 has the baffles out, but also the squish tightened), it will outcut the 441. The 441 however is much smoother
& for these aging hands, that wins in my book

Legend oe 372 or not-a-legend yet X torque 372?

441 is super smooth
In my book they are both legends, but I actually prefer the xt over the oe version. Better suited for a longer bar in my opinion. I run 28" bars on them...

Is the 441 the worst pro model stihl ever made???

Is the 441 the worst pro model stihl ever made???
Opinions are all over the place on it. Ive heard several say the new m-tronic version has an edge over the x-torque husky. But on this site it seems most have the opposite opinion.
I really like the idea of m-tronic, and as mentioned there is better Stihl dealer support around here 3 good locations to vs 1 husky.

I own a small firewood operation and buck a lot of big oak, so I want something with an ok weight and ability to cut quick, and smooth.

If considering the 441 the 461 has to be considered as well. 10 years from now i would definitely regret getting the 441 rather then the 461. 461 is a work horse and basically the same weight at a 441. I've yet to use a 372xt so I have no valuable opinion on them. W/ the 462 coming out I wouldn't be surprised if the 441 is discontinued in a few years. Regardless good luck w/ your purchase and really any of the 3 mentioned are winners in there own way. I wouldn't let 200 bucks help decide a purchase when were talking 4 digits.

What did you end up getting?? If you haven't already done so it's not a bad idea to take a stroll through the trading post before you head out with your credit card.

Back