Thank you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Chucker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This past spring I had my cabin and outbuildings broken into, and although I had a lot of stuff stolen, none hurt more than my 2 Husqvarna saws. They weren't special, a 45 and a 51, but they were the only saws I had.

I guide for whitetail and moose in the fall and like to get away on weekends to the cabin, and a wood stove is my only source of heat, so a saw is pretty important to me.

In looking at what to get in a saw I looked on this site for ideas. Lots of good advise here so I used that as a starting point as what to look for. After reading a ton of opinions on here and then searching my local buy and sell listings (kijiji) I found a couple good deals, at least I think they are.

First saw I picked up was a MS 441 C-M. The guy I bought it from is a landscaper. When I told him about my misfortune and having my saws stolen, he felt sorry for me and sold me this saw for $300 cdn. He had a husky 372xp for the same price but I wanted to try out stihl this time around since I've never owned one.

Then I figured I was set for now and maybe wait until next year before I buy another one. Still having a little bit of the itch and checking the classifieds to reassure myself that I had got a good deal, I ran across an 026 for $130 cdn. The only problem is, it was about 200 miles away. Fortunately I had a cousin who lived in the area so I wired her the money and asked her to grab it for me.

This is the picture from the ad. I asked the fella if it ran good, he said he only had about 20hrs on it, plus it came with a case and brand new spare chain. I could tell from his voice that he was in his late 70's to 80's. He also said he took good care of it so I figured it should be safe.

After my cousin picked up the saw I asked her if it was in good shape, she said "sure I guess" so I asked her to send me a picture of it. Here's the pictures she sent me.

I still haven't seen the actual saw yet, but from the pictures I'm pretty sure it's like new. $430 cdn for 2 saws, a 441 c-m and an 026, both pretty much like new!

I was able to take the 441 out last weekend for a test drive and was able to cut and split a cord of wood in about 6hrs with the help of my 13yr old son.

I just wanted to thank you guys for the info on this site and give a little intro to myself as I have a new obsession and have a feeling I'll be posting a ton of questions here in the near future.

Kurt.

Thanks guys. I'll be getting that 026 tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that.

A quick question here about 2 stroke mixing oil. I run Nautilus oil in my boat, in my snowmobile I run Royal Purple, when I read the label on the Stihl oil it said made by Casterol. Does it matter what kind of oil I run in my saw? Would Casterol be just as good as the oil that has Stihl written on the label?
Is there a certain bar oil I should be running? Other than using winter oil in the winter and summer oil in the summer, does it matter what bar oil I use?

Right...I buy castrol from Lordco in a I litre bottle.
They are selling the Lordco brand chain oil too for $891 in BC which is a hellofa great price these days. I bought one at Walmart 6 weeks back,wthTax and desposible fee it was over $16...crazy
Castrol mix for saws is an all white bottle.
Castrol all the way
Well proven in big wood

I learned so much from this site in the past year that I'm actually able to help other people I know with a lot of this stuff.

The one thing I find funny is that you turned this thank you thread into.....an oil thread!

Thanks to this site I also no longer have any idea what 2 stroke oil and what ratio to use with my stuff. I'll figure it out someday.

Does it matter what kind of oil I run in my saw?
Welcome to A.S. Sorry about your theft loss; congrats on your used saw scores.

There are different letter ratings for 2-cycle mix oil - some are better for small, air-cooled motors, like chain saws. Find out what STIHL requires, or use their oil ratings as a minimum, and use mix oils that meet or exceed those ratings. You will hear a lot of brand preferences here on this site. But, in general, choose a brand name product made for chainsaws, not a general purpose product made for boats, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, etc.

Philbert

Absolutely ^^^^ I was told that by Don walker 23 yrs ago. Yeah I don't mess with gas station brands or pictures of outboards or Sleds on the jug. I wasn't talking about Castrol 2 either OP. It's probably the best buy what I suggested.

Absolutely ^^^^ I was told that by Don walker 23 yrs ago. Yeah I don't mess with gas station brands or pictures of outboards or Sleds on the jug. I wasn't talking about Castrol 2 either OP. It's probably the best buy what I suggested.

just so you know jamie, the castrol super 2 stroke is stihl ultra or the other way around. great oil. i used it for many years. i like the lucas semi syn more now though. mostly just because it is way way cleaner.

Well done on the saws.
That particular 026 design is my favorite. Plastic tag or metal tag, doesn't matter. It's a good looking saw!

Those two saws were my main wanna-be logger set up as well as my go-to firewood combo for years.
Still running the 441, but its paired up with a ported 026 these days.

I picked up the 026 today and got to finally see it in person. Looks great, starts great and runs great. Came with the case and brand new chain. Really happy with the saw, and happy to know that the 441 fits in the case.

The 026 isn't a pro, but it has the hi and low carb adjustments, I couldn't see if it had the oil adjustment though.

Good chance is has the "cut out" for a screw to adjust the oiler. Just doesn't have the plumbing, or the screw.
I don't let my 026 have much time sitting and idling, so it's not an issue to me.
Never had it run out of bar oil before fuel, yet.

I think you did really well on the saws, and they're a good choice for what you want to do with them. They should treat you well.

That said, there's a reason Stihls are so cheap :p (sorry, just had to)

I think you did really well on the saws, and they're a good choice for what you want to do with them. They should treat you well.

That said, there's a reason Stihls are so cheap :p (sorry, just had to)

So long as they don't grow legs, I'll be happy.

I don't need to win the race, so long as I can finish it!

Back