2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t posted here in a while. Figured would share the last chile harvest of the season which turned out good. My guess is 20-30 lbs.
6B2C9123-5E68-4C81-8F81-AABF6BD57B1C.jpeg

Roasted some over hickory on a Weber kettle grill. Made chili and some mango salsa.

0FE95085-893F-4303-9585-4C549BA35BEB.jpeg

planted a dozen or so pole bean seeds. Kentucky Wonder. more so on a lark... they climbed trellis fine... some bud, then no beans... then more buds, then beans! :) a couple small pickings so far, a nice side, or two. i planted some Blue Lake Bush, some yellow was bush and contender bush, also... the Kentucky Wonder poles were the tastiest of all! :cool:
P1010029.JPG
P1010061.JPG
zzzxwpbk.jpg

Haven’t posted here in a while. Figured would share the last chile harvest of the season which turned out good. My guess is 20-30 lbs.
View attachment 930743

Roasted some over hickory on a Weber kettle grill. Made chili and some mango salsa.

View attachment 930741
30#s! nice, grilled up nice, too. did some peppers other day on my scrounged new SS cook/grill center. big SS rig, had to go thru it etc... but now cooking and grilling up a storm... :cool:
P1010069.JPG
P1010029.JPG

A few late pix. So far the squash and pumpkins are doing good,--still hauling water to them.
The red beans did good,--4 gallons from two 60' rows.
Glass Gem corn and broom corn was good.
The food grade pumpkins have outdone them selves this year.
Eggplants are really great this year, --- working on the second picking. They were planted way late and for a whild didnt do much growing but when they did go, well,-- loads of them.
Had to put one of the boss in!

Attachments

• DSCN0518.JPG
    DSCN0518.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0512.JPG
    DSCN0512.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0513.JPG
    DSCN0513.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0515.JPG
    DSCN0515.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0521.JPG
    DSCN0521.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0522.JPG
    DSCN0522.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0524.JPG
    DSCN0524.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0530.JPG
    DSCN0530.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0531.JPG
    DSCN0531.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Wow it's been a while since I've posted here . A lot has changed in the garden!

First off, we dug up the potatoes 3 weeks ago. We've been getting a lot of rain over the last month (I think up to 20" now :surprised3:) and the vines had died so it was time to get them dug up. I know you can leave them in the ground but the soil here is too heavy for that; they just rot. And the bugs get at them.

Ended up getting these 4 half full rubbermaid totes from my 3 45' rows. Enlisted the help of the in-laws while they were here so I didn't have to do all the work myself. :rock:

20210919_152649.jpg

The aftermath of potato digging. I'm going to prep the far row on the right for a fall planting of garlic. The rest of it will be getting the weeds pulled, but other than that it will sit like this until 2023. My garden is large enough that I only use half to grow vegetables and the other half I leave for the squash to sprawl. I flip the sides each year for rotation.

20210919_152120.jpg

This is the tomato harvest that we are picking every 5-6 days. I should say were picking; we had a chance of frost a week ago so I pulled anything that was ripe or starting to turn and ended up with this. I think the wife said there was 35 lbs of Roma's alone, not counting the cherry tomatoes. She has been doing a lot of canning with them, pasta sauce, salsa, bbq sauce, tomato soup, and spreads galore. We should be eating good this winter! Needless to say she is getting a bit sick of canning lol.

20210930_182329.jpg

This was the tomato patch in question. Needless to say it did survive the frost, much to my Wife's chagrin. She was especially unhappy when I told her that all the rain and warm weather is causing them to start flowering again. :lol:

20210919_152247.jpg

I don't think I've ever smiled like this before. I was working in the garden and looked over to see my wife holding my 4 month old daughter while she gets her first touch of the garden plants.

20210930_174036.jpg

A few late pix. So far the squash and pumpkins are doing good,--still hauling water to them. The red beans did good,--4 gallons from two 60' rows. Glass Gem corn and broom corn was good. The food grade pumpkins have outdone them selves this year. Eggplants are really great this year, --- working on the second picking. They were planted way late and for a whild didnt do much growing but when they did go, well,-- loads of them. Had to put one of the boss in!
swell pix. we have had multiple pickings off our KW pole beans. so tasty, too. and only 12 seeds. might go for more seeds planted next spring. hot side for dinner, cold treats right out of the refer.
P1010034.JPG
P1010070.JPG

Wow it's been a while since I've posted here . A lot has changed in the garden!

First off, we dug up the potatoes 3 weeks ago. We've been getting a lot of rain over the last month (I think up to 20" now :surprised3:) and the vines had died so it was time to get them dug up. I know you can leave them in the ground but the soil here is too heavy for that; they just rot. And the bugs get at them.

Ended up getting these 4 half full rubbermaid totes from my 3 45' rows. Enlisted the help of the in-laws while they were here so I didn't have to do all the work myself. :rock:

View attachment 934436

The aftermath of potato digging. I'm going to prep the far row on the right for a fall planting of garlic. The rest of it will be getting the weeds pulled, but other than that it will sit like this until 2023. My garden is large enough that I only use half to grow vegetables and the other half I leave for the squash to sprawl. I flip the sides each year for rotation.

View attachment 934440

This is the tomato harvest that we are picking every 5-6 days. I should say were picking; we had a chance of frost a week ago so I pulled anything that was ripe or starting to turn and ended up with this. I think the wife said there was 35 lbs of Roma's alone, not counting the cherry tomatoes. She has been doing a lot of canning with them, pasta sauce, salsa, bbq sauce, tomato soup, and spreads galore. We should be eating good this winter! Needless to say she is getting a bit sick of canning lol.

View attachment 934437

This was the tomato patch in question. Needless to say it did survive the frost, much to my Wife's chagrin. She was especially unhappy when I told her that all the rain and warm weather is causing them to start flowering again. :lol:

View attachment 934439

I don't think I've ever smiled like this before. I was working in the garden and looked over to see my wife holding my 4 month old daughter while she gets her first touch of the garden plants.

View attachment 934438
swell pix! swell produce, too! Thanks for the post... :)

being a bit guilty of sometimes being a day late and a $ short... the fall tomato sets we picked up were still potted. few weeks back, with rains coming in and some.... friendly encouragement... lol.... :rolleyes: i made a mad dash to get them in and rooted. the bed was full of weeds. i just cleared a spot for the tomatoes. and put some pine needle mulch over the dirt. dashed back inside as the rain drops began. just made it. been in a couple weeks now. one side dressing; 13's. doing well. used some grass cuttings to smother the rest of the weeds, and amped up a bit the tomato's pine needle nests around their bases. bed looks great! well, imo... and flowering, too suggesting some setting might be soon... that is if we ever get our cooler air. snap peas and carrots next on planting agenda...
P1010046.JPG
P1010012.JPG

7 plants total.

garden season continues down here... grow zone 9. garden is jumpping, tomatoes setting and limas going nuts. snaps snapping... and the KW poles just keep on truckin'... thot about pulling them 3 weeks ago, but they continue to produce nice sides for dinner. as such i have side dressed them... to amp them in their trek down the homestretch.

Kentucky Wonder pole beans last nite's side...
P1010004.JPG

sour cream and 2 dops butter... steamed, cooked, hot or refer cold... KW poles always tasty as can be...

Well the garden season is done here. I pulled the last of the produce out a couple weeks ago. Mostly squash; had lots of tomatoes left but all the rain lately had ruined them. Which is too bad because we had a huge crop and we didn't get a frost until November.

I managed to get the garlic planted and pull weeds on one of the few nice days this fall. I don't have pictures of it but I also got the growing area for next year tilled this fall. I didn't think it would ever get dry enough this fall to do that, but we got a window last week. I'm glad I got it done because now its covered in snow.

Overall a very successful gardening year. Probably twice the production of last year. Not gonna lie, I was pretty discouraged after the problems I had last year. But I think once I get the soil in good shape this will be a pretty productive plot. It just needs some amendments and a lot of time with a tiller/shovel. Oh and probably a week of picking stones lol.

20211024_154740.jpg

20211020_121418.jpg

20211024_115708.jpg

delicata,white ebony acorn, a spaghetti, and some butternuts! ---- Right??? Looks good. We had a rough year here but still ended up with tons of produce that we donated to a food bank,----- 10,000 pounds or more went to them during the season, plus we had our quota filled too. The onion plants have been ordered for next year and we have gotten a couple more tillers to use and a couple of parts units. Now to get them fixed before spring! lol!

delicata,white ebony acorn, a spaghetti, and some butternuts! ---- Right??? Looks good. We had a rough year here but still ended up with tons of produce that we donated to a food bank,----- 10,000 pounds or more went to them during the season, plus we had our quota filled too. The onion plants have been ordered for next year and we have gotten a couple more tillers to use and a couple of parts units. Now to get them fixed before spring! lol!
Good eye. This was the first year growing delicata and the white acorn. We haven't tried the acorn yet, but we've had a few of the delicata. Let's just say it's going to become the main squash we grow in the future lol. I was a bit disappointed in our spaghetti and butternut squash, though a lot of that had to do with me not getting them planted early enough.

10,000 lbs to the food bank??!! That's equally very impressive and crazy. That's a lot of food! I bet they loved having it.

I really need to get a new tiller before spring. I have an older front tine machine now; it's and absolute bear to run in this ground. I'm going to be looking for a nice rear tine machine before spring. This ground needs to be worked good and deep to loosen it up.

We dont use any of our old front enders any more,----went to rear tine tillers, mostly Troy built and Simplicity brands. I usually rip 36" deep with a subsoiler then moldboard plow 18" deep in the fall,--well cept this year! lol! plowing is past for this year so we will have to deal with spring plowing and no sub soiling! Not everybody can go as deep as I do but if you have good depth soil, it pays to stir deep as you can.

Latest posts

Back