2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truth!! :laugh:
1687689177570.png

One crop I don't grow, besides cabbage and musk melons. I grow field corn, wheat and soybeans in rotation along with about 75 acres of alfalfa hay. Hay is in rounds and always pre sold, loaded in the field on semi's I find tomato residuals as well as cabbage to be somewhat vile plus you have to after treat the fields

One year I grew 20 acres of melons. Problem with them isn't bugs (I spray them), problem is with harvest. Melons are labor intensive to harvest as in migrant labor which I had to borrow and pay for. Row crops and alfalfa hay isn't.

We don't even have and never have had a home garden. No reason to. I can get produce for free here for the table, all I have to do is ask one of my fellow farmers. Last year my wife canned sauerkraut and one ask netted us a full hamper of red and green cabbage. (hamper is 50+ pounds of produce).

It's peppers for me. Don't know what it is but it's very difficult to grow peppers here on the new property.

Is anyone else dealing with a lot of predation problems this year? I don't know why this year is so bad, we've never had near this much damage before, but they are going after everything. Loopers are going after the brassicas, rabbits ate my entire crop of carrots when they came up, CPB in the potatoes already, birds have stripped some pepper and tomato plants bare. We've even had coons wandering through the yard, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they are into something.

Gardening for me has always been a hobby and a bit of stress relief, but this year between the predation problems and the really dry weather, it's been a real struggle.

It's peppers for me. Don't know what it is but it's very difficult to grow peppers here on the new property.

Is anyone else dealing with a lot of predation problems this year? I don't know why this year is so bad, we've never had near this much damage before, but they are going after everything. Loopers are going after the brassicas, rabbits ate my entire crop of carrots when they came up, CPB in the potatoes already, birds have stripped some pepper and tomato plants bare. We've even had coons wandering through the yard, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they are into something.

Gardening for me has always been a hobby and a bit of stress relief, but this year between the predation problems and the really dry weather, it's been a real struggle.
My GUESS is the dry weather. Everything going after any source of water.

Rabbits and skunks here right now. possums earlier but I got them thinned down. Also got a few coons early on. Killed 20 or more rabbits myself PLUS all the ones kitty kat kills for me and we have not dented them this year!! Worst time ever here for them for some reason!
They have destroyed the sweet potato plants and a lot of the cabbage.

Okra. Never can get it's a grow over 2 ft tall and only get four or five off each plant and they all get eaten by the bugs.
Had okra here for several years, always topped out at 4 to 5 feet tall but we never cared for it and the people who we gave it to moved away so I quit planting it.

You've got a great looking garden. What's the tall stuff on right of the wheelbarrow? And the plants to the right of that? Looks like you've got a good stand of corn and lots of squash?

Your rain barrel, do you have a pump on it?
Thanks!

The tall stuff is tomatoes in cages and the next row is cucumbers growing on cages. I've got 5,000 gallons of rain water stored and I have several kinds of pumps.

Latest posts

Back