2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's been some discussion on what to do with IBC bladders. I started last Fall cutting the sides off a bladder and just finished up making raised beds from them.

IMG_1730.JPG

I've got: 4 types of broccoli, 4 types of cabbage, 8 types of tomatoes, bell peppers, 3 types of hot peppers, herbs (sage thyme rosemary basil oregano), asparagus (from seed ) , started. And some marigolds to plant interspersed to keep out bad bugs.

April heat wave coming, but I've seen many frosts and a few snows in May.

why not cut the totes in half, that way you get 2 beds from each one? I know they wont hold water once they are taken out of the frame! LOL!
I did get the rest of the 4.5 acres tilled the first time.
planted 1 row of taters and dug up the remaining strawberry plants ant tilled up the old bed. Starting a bed in a different place this year so we see what happens. The old bed was 15 years old and time to start over.
The onion plants are getting green now and the sage is getting new leaves.
Rhubarb starting to grow but slow again this year. last year it didnt produce a great lot. We get plenty for us but none to hand out to others.

animals in the garden is NEVER a good idea! --- they tend to go for the good stuff and leave the weeds! lol!
as a gardener for past handful of decades, i am still amazed at how well weeds do in drought conditions...

corn on cob was 6/$1 other day at the grocery. got 6. cooked and cut off cob. the dif was immediate to canned or frozen... delish and very sweet!

few weeks back one of my smoking threads posted up a how to: corn on cob bacon wrapped!

hmm, 🤔

ANY rear tine tiller beats the front enders! I use Troy-Built Horses here along with a TB Tuffy to cultivate a round plants.
I had to go to rear tines many many years ago because of spinal surgeries. Couldnt garden without them, s'pecialy this 4.5 acres! lol!
that is a big garden!

i got my tiller out the other day. DIY Specail... my TB H off to the side
P1010007.JPG

I'll never use a walk behind tiller again. The only other tiller that I may consider using is one of those very small Mantis tillers. Even the raised beds that I am planning will be sized so I can drive the tractor up, through and back down from them.
i am still a bit partial to my bend over tiller! 🤩

and we might just get a turnip or two, too! 🤩
View attachment 1067737
a bit of a renegade they are, first showed up with couple radishs that persisted, thinking strange?? why lookie-here... we got a purple and white radish! however, a bit further along....

will coax them and maybe some steamed turnips and butter as a side to a nice sizzling NY Strip! 🤩🤩
they are getting bigger! :)

I've got: 4 types of broccoli, 4 types of cabbage, 8 types of tomatoes, bell peppers, 3 types of hot peppers, herbs (sage thyme rosemary basil oregano), asparagus (from seed ) , started. And some marigolds to plant interspersed to keep out bad bugs.

April heat wave coming, but I've seen many frosts and a few snows in May.
mine currently: beets, end of line peas and sweet peas. both did great! spinich to pick. carrots. cilantro. tomatoes, 2 types. champion/better boy. cukes, too and a load of Texas Bluebonnets...
P1010003.JPG

why not cut the totes in half, that way you get 2 beds from each one? I know they wont hold water once they are taken out of the frame! LOL!
planted 1 row of taters and dug up the remaining strawberry plants ant tilled up the old bed. Starting a bed in a different place this year so we see what happens. The old bed was 15 years old and time to start over.
Rhubarb starting to grow but slow again this year. last year it didnt produce a great lot. We get plenty for us but none to hand out to others.
any pix?

wish we could grow rhubarb. did when we lived in P NW i do like stewed rhubarb

I do get two beds from each bladder. I cut the sides off to make two 12" deep beds.

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

I will be also relocating my strawberries to these new beds.

a couple pix of PART of the acres. a couple are the 11 rows of onions. Didnt get any pix of the rhubarb yet but will do. Its about a foot tall now and the horseradish is just starting to come up. Made some the other day!

Attachments

• DSCN1542.JPG
    DSCN1542.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1543.JPG
    DSCN1543.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1538.JPG
    DSCN1538.JPG
  • DSCN1543.JPG
    DSCN1543.JPG
  • DSCN1535.JPG
    DSCN1535.JPG
Just pulled the carrots..first time growing them so mistakes were made but I got a few lbs and they are so much tastier than store bought. Lettuce is coming to a end but it was grown staggered so a few are still too small to bolt, spinach too. One collard plant left to pull up..we ate collards till the cows came home and then gave away 10lbs to friends. Potatoes are really growing tall tho the purple ones are kinda weak growing compared to the yukon gold and reds. Chinese cabbage has been a pleasant surprise that grew very fast and tastes good in salads. Planted 2 types of squash, 2 types of beans and some japanese cucumbers last week. Two neighbors and myself tilled 100 feet of ditch and planted 70+ sweet potato slips. Its going to be wild because its a vine version that has a 150 day time line until harvest and the vines can reach 20+ feet in length. We are hoping for 50lbs each of us. Sprouting chinese longbeans, peas and chinese eggplant right now with plans to plant by sunday and individual cage building in 2 weeks for the beans.
My garden is actually quite small 8x15 so its been and continues to be a learning experience to keep things pulled/planted and sprouting so its a continuous garden with maximized variety and output. I might even try to plant silver queen in the ditch with the potato patch. The mantis tiller i have is the best thing ever for small spaces and quick cultivating!

We've had 4 days without rain here in Western PA (that's a lot here). So, I took Friday off work to hook up the 60" tiller and burn some diesel in the garden. Pics forthcoming!
We've only had 1/4" of rain this month in York co. Supposed to get a little this weekend. I think the guesser said we are about 5" below normal so far this year.

I found that purple and gem potatoes are VERY spindly plants! I quit trying both after a 3 year trial.
We now only grow kennebecks fro main crop and a few red norlands for early crop. Pontiacs grow o.k. but I dont like the deep eyes on them. flavor is good and they are a good tater.
Hope the weather nation wide get better so everybody can hit the gardens soon!!!!!

Back