2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys are into canning, give peach butter a try. I like it a lot more than peach jam. It has more peach flavour and less of a sugary feel.
actually, came out first more so like peach butter... aka apple butter. i like chunky so modded it some! BIG homerun... best peach jam ever .... i have ette!!! lol :)

IMG_1607.jpeg
IMG_1606.jpeg

Couple Cherokee Purples I picked this afternoon. A day on the window sill and these will be ready. Last night we had tomato and bacon sandwiches on toast with mayo for dinner. Cherokee Purple tomato of course.

I decided to dig my taters I had in pots. I have been pulling a few out of each pot for a while now, but the tops have all pretty much died down and taters where popping thru the soil and getting sun burned. Taters will continue to grow in size even tho the tops have died back, but sunburned taters cant be eaten. I got enough out of three pots to do a couple weeks, decent sized, so I am happy with what I got. I decided to do a little test planting with the empty pots. I had some taters that where trying to sprout so I planted them back in the pots. I have never planted taters in the summer time before so we will see how they do. I have a pretty big space I never got around to planting in my garden. So much rain, I just couldnt prep the soil. Now I am wondering what I can plant this late in the year and still get a crop. I am in zone 7 so I'll take any suggestions. Wind storms have blown down a bunch of my field corn so I am tinking about planting soom sweet corn, but it would be close to not matureing before frost.

I've started using several soaker hoses in my garden this year and next I'm going to get 1 or 2 totes for rain barrels. I was going to get a 1/10 HP pump from HF, but I can get a a 1/2 HP pump off ebay for the same price. Those of you using pumps, how do you control flow/pressure? 1/2 HP too big?

For a 1/3 hp well pump what I do is run a line from the pump back to the tank and feed excess pressure back to that tank. Must have a separate valve from the one that you are feeding your 'filtered' drip line system from. This return line can also serve as a 'jet agitation' system for mixing water soluble fertilizers or urine, compost tea, etc. into the drip system.

For pumping from a 55 gallon barrel a sump pump with a returnable jet agitation system is easy to plumb.

Here's a photo of one I use quite often.

Sump pump 002.JPG

Sump pump 001.JPG

Garden and irragation photos 6-27-2021 016.JPG

For a 1/3 hp well pump what I do is run a line from the pump back to the tank and feed excess pressure back to that tank. Must have a separate valve from the one that you are feeding your 'filtered' drip line system from. This return line can also serve as a 'jet agitation' system for mixing water soluble fertilizers or urine, compost tea, etc. into the drip system.

For pumping from a 55 gallon barrel a sump pump with a returnable jet agitation system is easy to plumb.

Here's a photo of one I use quite often.

View attachment 1096345

View attachment 1096346

View attachment 1096347
Good Idea about the splitter and return line. Just throttle back on the soaker line and open up the return line. Trial and error pressure wise I guess. I'm still leaning toward the 1/2 HP pump. Same price or less than the 1/10 HP and looks like it is beefier.

Good Idea about the splitter and return line. Just throttle back on the soaker line and open up the return line. Trial and error pressure wise I guess. I'm still leaning toward the 1/2 HP pump. Same price or less than the 1/10 HP and looks like it is beefier.

I adjust the bypass so the pump high and low pressure setting don't cut the pump on and off. I don't run an expansion tank. I have a gauge on the pump and one on the drip line system.

I decided to dig my taters I had in pots. I have been pulling a few out of each pot for a while now, but the tops have all pretty much died down and taters where popping thru the soil and getting sun burned. Taters will continue to grow in size even tho the tops have died back, but sunburned taters cant be eaten. I got enough out of three pots to do a couple weeks, decent sized, so I am happy with what I got. I decided to do a little test planting with the empty pots. I had some taters that where trying to sprout so I planted them back in the pots. I have never planted taters in the summer time before so we will see how they do. I have a pretty big space I never got around to planting in my garden. So much rain, I just couldnt prep the soil. Now I am wondering what I can plant this late in the year and still get a crop. I am in zone 7 so I'll take any suggestions. Wind storms have blown down a bunch of my field corn so I am tinking about planting soom sweet corn, but it would be close to not matureing before frost.
russets or reds? type... ?

Wash them up and start eating. I will say raw out of the garden carrots are the best
they are all now peeled. 75 carrots. not too many, but enuff for my needs. actually, bit more. your suggestion is good. been doing that. mite make some of this, too. and below
1689184478290.png

1689184499798.png

Back