2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did pick another gallon of beans today. A couple meals will be held back and the rest blanched and frozen as the previous gallon.
IMG_2006.JPG
I had to make freezer space for the beans and blackberries. I have an older friend who gave me my strawberry starts. He use to have rows of blackberries and sold them to a local store. He's down to one healthy row and makes wine from them. I'll pool my frozen berries with his and he's going to teach me how to make wine. His kid aren't interested.

As mentioned, the bean trellis is a solid mass. Not complaining. I've missed some and am setting aside older pods to dry on the vine with the end being seed saving. I've never saved bean seeds before. Leave them on the vine until late Fall, pick, shell, dry on a platter for a month and then refrigerate them?
My purple Hulled Peas (Crowder Peas) are really producing. Never grew them before. My understanding is to let them dry on the vine and harvest like the bean seed descibed above?? "They" say to let them turn purple before picking, but mine are only white. A few may have a faint purple color.
IMG_1998.JPG
Potato vines have died back and I think I need to dig them. If it ever stops raining. First the excessive heat, now the daily rain. Can't get out in the garden without muck boots. Weeds are starting to take over.

Tomatoes are way behind. Still green. I did get one Brandywine. Softball sized. I got the plant from my Sister who got the seed from a friend. Sister starts another heirloom I gave her. I like my variety better. Not as runny as the Brandywine.

As said, I had to make freezer space for the beans. Pulled out gallons of berry and tomato juice from previous years and cooked down and canned.
IMG_2005.JPG
Now all I have to do is find shelf space in the basement.

Got an inch of much needed rain last nite. More to come later today.
Cabbage plants about a month after planting.
20230806_130610.jpg

3 rows of pumpkins and weed. Indian corn in tassel way in the back.
20230806_130637.jpg

Sweet corn in the distance. Soybeans closer.
20230806_130623.jpg

I did pick another gallon of beans today. A couple meals will be held back and the rest blanched and frozen as the previous gallon.
IMG_2006.JPG
I had to make freezer space for the beans and blackberries. I have an older friend who gave me my strawberry starts. He use to have rows of blackberries and sold them to a local store. He's down to one healthy row and makes wine from them. I'll pool my frozen berries with his and he's going to teach me how to make wine. His kid aren't interested.

As mentioned, the bean trellis is a solid mass. Not complaining. I've missed some and am setting aside older pods to dry on the vine with the end being seed saving. I've never saved bean seeds before. Leave them on the vine until late Fall, pick, shell, dry on a platter for a month and then refrigerate them?
My purple Hulled Peas (Crowder Peas) are really producing. Never grew them before. My understanding is to let them dry on the vine and harvest like the bean seed descibed above?? "They" say to let them turn purple before picking, but mine are only white. A few may have a faint purple color.
IMG_1998.JPG
Potato vines have died back and I think I need to dig them. If it ever stops raining. First the excessive heat, now the daily rain. Can't get out in the garden without muck boots. Weeds are starting to take over.

Tomatoes are way behind. Still green. I did get one Brandywine. Softball sized. I got the plant from my Sister who got the seed from a friend. Sister starts another heirloom I gave her. I like my variety better. Not as runny as the Brandywine.

As said, I had to make freezer space for the beans. Pulled out gallons of berry and tomato juice from previous years and cooked down and canned.
IMG_2005.JPG
Now all I have to do is find shelf space in the basement.
purple hulls do well down here! i have grown them. often the grow too well! lol. produce lots. i usually pick them when the pod is well defined. not my fav bean, called peas down here... but in any event... garden fresh!

cook up easy enuff. water to boil then low heat. drained with some B/S/P.... 👍

purple hulls - a popular dish
1691593697943.png

Used to plant a large garden but don't anymore, just potatoes, because our farm in smack dab in the middle of a truck farming area so vegetables are as easy to get as asking and picking right out of the fields. Last time I fermented cabbage for Sauerkraut I asked for a couple heads and got a full hamper of it (hamper is 100 pounds of cabbage heads).

nice! don't know how you manage scale like that! 👍
on a smaller scale... :rolleyes: i did some late summer potting Sunday afternoon. 16 okra and some cherry tomatoes. these tomatoes are quite small when ripe. about 1/4 or less of a reg cherry tom. but very sweet! ~ the okra popped up 3 days later. i watered thru the day, nursery spray, and was interesting to see it grow. Mother Nature at work...
P1010020.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010017.JPG

the half doz or so lil cherries is an overkill! the plant wili grow very large... think large bush tomato plant, with blueberries on it, only they r red and tomatoes... might be the Texas Tiny Cherry Tomato (i thot everything was big in Texas! lol)
1691594574197.png

1691594682847.png

the half doz or so lil cherries is an overkill! the plant wili grow very large... think large bush tomato plant, with blueberries on it, only they r red and tomatoes... might be the Texas Tiny Cherry Tomato
a grower's review from a seed company that offers them

The most fun of all the Tomatoes!
Extremely accurate description for these little gems. I sprouted WAY to many and ended up giving plants away to all my friends. If not 100% germination then 99%. These didn't take off like the other tomatoes (italian heirloom and Olpalkas), oh no, these guys played the long game. the plant wouldn't stop growing. The first blossom and the first tiny tomato showed up before I could get them in the ground...this should have been an omen.
We absolutely love these tomatoes. We are just amazed that more restaurants don't use them as a garnish or in main dishes.
We simply love everything about these. their size, their flavor, their abundance, their ease of maintenance. Absolutely one of my new favorite varieties.

a grower's review from a seed company that offers them

The most fun of all the Tomatoes!
Extremely accurate description for these little gems. I sprouted WAY to many and ended up giving plants away to all my friends. If not 100% germination then 99%. These didn't take off like the other tomatoes (italian heirloom and Olpalkas), oh no, these guys played the long game. the plant wouldn't stop growing. The first blossom and the first tiny tomato showed up before I could get them in the ground...this should have been an omen.
We absolutely love these tomatoes. We are just amazed that more restaurants don't use them as a garnish or in main dishes.
We simply love everything about these. their size, their flavor, their abundance, their ease of maintenance. Absolutely one of my new favorite varieties.
Where did you purchase your Opalka seeds? The ones I started this year were so scrawny and anemic looking I ended up **** canning them.

Green bean harvest 2023 is in full swing. Mrs. Lion's Fan snipped a bucket full night, so today it's my turn.

View attachment 1103527
Just planted some last week. Should be ready by late September. I always liked fall beans because they seem sweeter.

Excuse the weeds! Rain every day for a while and no chance to get in there. Tomorrow is dry and my roof is finally being installed. So I'll spend the day out of their way in the garden.
This year, my vine crops are going crazy. I usually plant 4 or 5 squash seeds in a hill inside a water dike made from a 10" section ring of a barrel. I was taught to always plant in a hill. Anyway, 2-4 plants of Butternut squash are spreading and taking over the garden. Probably 25 foot of spread.
IMG_2012.JPG

Follow the path to see the spread. Something like 20 squash on them already. I picked one already am going to see if it's ripe enough to eat. Thought they were to be harvested late Fall. Normally bugs get to the plants way early and the plants die. Need to spray tomorrow because it looks like something is getting to them.

The cucumbers growing on a tripod are growing into the tomato cages. The Zuchetta squash (Zucchnino Rampicante) Have spread into the cucumbers also. a friend of my Father gave him a squash and some seed years ago when I was a kid. Slice and eat raw with dip. Very good.
We tried to plant the seeds but they didn't grow. I purchased some seeds years ago, planted them and same thing. Nothing. This year I tried a different supplier and wow!
IMG_2014.JPG

In the background, you can see the Hubert squash spreading into the Asparagus patch and into the yard. I've got to come up with a better plan for next year.

Tomatoes and night shade are of the same family and I use nightshade to eradicate poison Ivy if I get it.. Lots of wild cannabis grows here in the ditches along with Asparagus. Wife and I go ditching for asparagus all the time in the spring and leave the cannabis, ain't worth beans anyway.

Oh Oh, I think I waited a little too long. Did I say my squash vines are out of control:lol2:? These Zuchetta were buried under the vines. Went out in the mud today and picked 7 or 8. If memory serves me, they should be harvested when half this size in order to be more tender. I normally store my squash in a refrigerator but I may have to leave in the basement. Or cut the bulbs off and the necks into straight pieces and then cram into the frig.
IMG_2020.JPG

And no guessing here. They're ready to pick. No purple, but the peas are well defined and the ends are starting to turn black. Had rain last night so I'll wait for a couple of Sun days to dry the pods out and then pick.
IMG_2019.JPG

Latest posts

Back