2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tiller dont have a battery, pull start only.
well, all indications r then ur's has a fluke condition! after all, engine, mechanicals ok, fuel and ignition... all steady... engines by the millions run world wide. big and small! ~

prob some small detail. i guess every time it acted up, it if was mine, given those conditions... i would pull a spark test. doubtful spark momentarily go away. so it is or it isn't. then if that showed spark each time right after, would assume fuel related. but, imo... if fuel related, then plug should be dry. so i mite pull it and ck. issues i have are that u have taken it to the shop and still no improvement. maybe some sort of vacuum leak that shows up as parts warm or heat up. a cracked casting would be hard to detect if in an obscure place.

keep us posted ~
:drinkingcoffee:

Garden to Table:

some work from my beet patch. small by any standards.... lol... 3 of the 12 seeds here. and went to make pickled beets yesterday. but, just right for my needs. a half-gallon of garden fresh pickled beets w/sweet onions. brine tasty, so i did up another small jar of onions, to use it all. i had doubled the brine recipe. tops to be cooked, too. 👍
P1010004.JPG

P1010002.JPGP1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010006.JPG
1692286507067.png

well, all indications r then ur's has a fluke condition! after all, engine, mechanicals ok, fuel and ignition... all steady... engines by the millions run world wide. big and small! ~

prob some small detail. i guess every time it acted up, it if was mine, given those conditions... i would pull a spark test. doubtful spark momentarily go away. so it is or it isn't. then if that showed spark each time right after, would assume fuel related. but, imo... if fuel related, then plug should be dry. so i mite pull it and ck. issues i have are that u have taken it to the shop and still no improvement. maybe some sort of vacuum leak that shows up as parts warm or heat up. a cracked casting would be hard to detect if in an obscure place.

keep us posted ~
:drinkingcoffee:
I am thinking it is fire related and like you said, its some obscene something shorting out, altho we have bypassed most everything that could rob spark. I picked it up from the shop the other day and now have it at home. My plans when I find time is to take it apart myself and double check everything. Just because it has a bunch of new parts doesnt mean they are any good. I once bought a sparkplug for my saw and the saw wouldnt run no matter how much I pulled on it. Changed the new plug out for a old one I had just laying on the bench and the saw fired right up. I believe that old plug is still in the saw. At any rate, I already have another troybuilt missing an engine, I looked and the predator engine at HF is $299 and on Market place I found several troybuilt that are running for $350, so its buy a new engine or buy a used tiller and have plenty of spare parts.

a couple bags of the freeze dried grape tomatoes. I still think they are just micro-mini red pear myself!
Some caned tomatoes and some pints of the K-stuff! Great on a burger!
Had 21 quarts of the tomatoes and 25 pints of the K-stuff!

Attachments

• 20230814_093801.jpg
    20230814_093801.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230816_172146.jpg
    20230816_172146.jpg
  • 20230815_150142.jpg
    20230815_150142.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230815_150203.jpg
    20230815_150203.jpg
still having problems with the troybilt tiller. Engine loses spark. We replaced the coil, the points and condenser. Checked the magnets in the flywheel, checked keyway, on recommendation from the Kholer factory tech we swapped out the points for a module made to replace the point setup. Installed a new plug and even replaced and then removed the kill wire on the throttle lever. Engine may or may not crank, may or maynot run, but when it dont crank and doesnt run, it doesnt have fire to the spark plug. We also rebuilt the carb, I have ran out of ideals on what could be the problem. Anybody care to take a guess.
I don't know much about them but have you replaced the spark plug wire?

I picked it up from the shop the other day and now have it at home. My plans when I find time is to take it apart myself and double check everything. Just because it has a bunch of new parts doesnt mean they are any good.
well, i thought you put all those parts in because it was acting up. and so all the new parts and same conditions exist would tell me the new parts are ok. it still does all this?:

Engine is a kholer K181, 301018, 8HP. Sometimes it will crank the first or second pull and other times it wont crank without spraying it full of either. I got tired of fooling with it, you might get one row tilled before it quit and sometimes it would die as soon as you dropped the tillers into the ground.

had a little visitor past couple days. showed up close to garden. then reappeared. friendly. he stopped by yesterday for water, and soon was eating lettuce we gave him. i liked the bunny. named him Bunny Boy! 😋 loves carrots, too i am told. concerned for his well-being, we contacted a neighborhood rescue person. he is doing well. :) hated to seem him have to go, but....

white with some black on back and circles around his eyes...

P1010024.JPG
P1010027.JPG

well, i thought you put all those parts in because it was acting up. and so all the new parts and same conditions exist would tell me the new parts are ok. it still does all this?:

Engine is a kholer K181, 301018, 8HP. Sometimes it will crank the first or second pull and other times it wont crank without spraying it full of either. I got tired of fooling with it, you might get one row tilled before it quit and sometimes it would die as soon as you dropped the tillers into the ground.
Yea. Mechanic said it cranked and ran good, for a few min then it died and had lost fire. Havent checked anything since, I just went and picked it up and parked it under my shed. When the temps drop a little I will put it in the shop and start tinkering and see what I can find. I dont need it until next spring, but I did want it just to be ready.

Yea. Mechanic said it cranked and ran good, for a few min then it died and had lost fire. Havent checked anything since, I just went and picked it up and parked it under my shed. When the temps drop a little I will put it in the shop and start tinkering and see what I can find. I dont need it until next spring, but I did want it just to be ready.
strange, indeed! especially since, as i understand your comments... you have still... the same characteristics of the problems when u had points... and then changed to electronic ignition!

you might want to get down to the basics. can you scrounge up a flywheel? has any one swapped it out for a comparison?

IMG_20230819_090748191~2.jpg

Got a few hot peppers coming in now. Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Ghost, and red habanero.
FB_IMG_1692453099101.jpg

I hate to say it but I forgot to add citric acid/lemon juice to my canning tomatoes and had to break all my jars open and transfer the contents to freezer bags. I figured that was easier than recanning. I know better, I just ....got in a hurry and forget I guess.

Make sure that no wires to the coil are rubbing the flywheel. After insulation wears off a shorting condition can occur. I put two coils in a vintage outboard motor and it ran fine for a few hours then one cylinder dies. The second cylinder died just as I got back to the dock. A little moving of wires and some liquid electrical tape fixed it. Of course the flywheel had to be pulled.

Make sure the kill switch isn't acting up first.

I dont do skins from ANYTHING! lol! --- You can however either dehydrate OR in my case freeze dry them if wanted then grind them up. If I was to go the powder route,--I would just dry the tomato slices with the skins on and grind the whole thing up. --- not like I wouldnt have enough tomatoes to do it with!
Around here skins go in the compost pile!

I dont do skins from ANYTHING! lol! --- You can however either dehydrate OR in my case freeze dry them if wanted then grind them up. If I was to go the powder route,--I would just dry the tomato slices with the skins on and grind the whole thing up. --- not like I wouldnt have enough tomatoes to do it with!
Around here skins go in the compost pile!
I run my tomatoes with skins on thru the juicer. I re-run the left over pulp thru 2 more times. I find it makes the juice thicker and it doesnt seperate in the jar. Makes great mater juice and the juice is thick enough to use with cooking chile or soup. I would think one could cook the juice down to make a sauce, but except for a run of salsa, we dont do a lot of sauce

Back