2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1791.jpeg

2 pounds of jalapeños, cayenne and a few paprika peppers. Going to make taco sauce!

Picked 4 or 5 more Zuchetta squash today. Still have plenty from the previous pick in the fridge. Anyone ever freeze squash? I think this is a relative to Zucchini. Don't quote me.
IMG_2037.JPG

Several of you mentioned electric fences for critters. Would a 2 mile be adequate for a 50' x 70' garden? Ever electrify a 1' high strip of chicken wire? Take more power?
https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/177297

I cut into chunks and cook my tomatoes for a long time in 20 quart stock pots then mash them thru the funnel lookin thing with holes in it and the round stick that does the mashin and trust me there aint any pulp left in them! I made 25 pints of sauce and a few of the K stuff so far. We would use a lot IF we had it so we see how many more I make. Pint jars are about the right size for sauce and the K stuff! Takes several hours to cook a 20 quart of juice down to about 8 or 10 PINTS! lol!
Waiting on the main crop planting to start getting ripe. Been pickin off the volunteer plants around the garden. They are mostly large fruited cherries and make great sauce or juice.
Took load #7 to the food bank Friday. Lady at the door helped drag the crates off my truck. 25 heads of cabbage and 350 pounds of tomatoes this time and more to take in.
Last batch out of the freeze dryer was bell peppers and eggplant.

Attachments

• 20230818_132050.jpg
    20230818_132050.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_132114.jpg
    20230818_132114.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_141841.jpg
    20230818_141841.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_213637.jpg
    20230818_213637.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_213656.jpg
    20230818_213656.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Picked 4 or 5 more Zuchetta squash today. Still have plenty from the previous pick in the fridge. Anyone ever freeze squash? I think this is a relative to Zucchini. Don't quote me.
IMG_2037.JPG

Several of you mentioned electric fences for critters. Would a 2 mile be adequate for a 50' x 70' garden? Ever electrify a 1' high strip of chicken wire? Take more power?
depends on type of critters... a 2 mile elec fence, 1' high mite keep the rabbits out, but doubt it would keep the deer out!

IMG_2037.JPG

makes swell squash sauce, once thawed! just correct the seasonings ~
:popcorn2:

I cut into chunks and cook my tomatoes for a long time in 20 quart stock pots then mash them thru the funnel lookin thing with holes in it and the round stick that does the mashin and trust me there aint any pulp left in them! I made 25 pints of sauce and a few of the K stuff so far. We would use a lot IF we had it so we see how many more I make. Pint jars are about the right size for sauce and the K stuff! Takes several hours to cook a 20 quart of juice down to about 8 or 10 PINTS! lol!
Waiting on the main crop planting to start getting ripe. Been pickin off the volunteer plants around the garden. They are mostly large fruited cherries and make great sauce or juice.
Took load #7 to the food bank Friday. Lady at the door helped drag the crates off my truck. 25 heads of cabbage and 350 pounds of tomatoes this time and more to take in.
Last batch out of the freeze dryer was bell peppers and eggplant.
nice looking cabbage!

Make sure that no wires to the coil are rubbing the flywheel. After insulation wears off a shorting condition can occur. I put two coils in a vintage outboard motor and it ran fine for a few hours then one cylinder dies. The second cylinder died just as I got back to the dock. A little moving of wires and some liquid electrical tape fixed it. Of course the flywheel had to be pulled.

Make sure the kill switch isn't acting up first.
:surprised3: :oops:

View attachment 1106021

Got a few hot peppers coming in now. Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Ghost, and red habanero.
View attachment 1106007

I hate to say it but I forgot to add citric acid/lemon juice to my canning tomatoes and had to break all my jars open and transfer the contents to freezer bags. I figured that was easier than recanning. I know better, I just ....got in a hurry and forget I guess.
Got a few hot peppers coming in now.

the colors say it all!

Load #8 to Midwest Food Bank. This time 40 heads of cabbage and 194 pounds of tomatoes.
Started picking the white grapes and got 9 quarts of juice from 5 bowls of them. In the winter the juice tastes good with some sugar added and mixed up good!

Attachments

• 20230821_113317.jpg
    20230821_113317.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230821_122059.jpg
    20230821_122059.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230821_173804.jpg
    20230821_173804.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230821_173829.jpg
    20230821_173829.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
On another note, I picked all of my Crowder peas.
IMG_2038.JPG

I think I may have waited too long, though. Some of the pods have black on them and some of the peas appeared to have molded. I need to pick through the peas and cull the bad ones. Out of a 20 foot row, I should end up with a quart jar of dried peas. Currently, the peas are on a covered (towel) tray inside drying further. Thought I'd dry an additional month this way before putting in a jar. Need longer?

Some pods are still drying on the vine and I'll ad them to this batch. AND they appear to be flowering again. I thought these were determinant peas, but I've never checked into that.

Lastly, I picked another two gallons of Blue Lake pole beans.
IMG_2039.JPG

Been a bumper crop in my opinion. Either they love the trellis or their location or I got good seed this year. Ordered instead of buying packets at the local farm store. I'm curious, could I expect the same results next year if I plant them in the same place next year. Or would the soil be depleted (of what?)? I could switch the trellis with the pea trellis, but I don't know if that would help. Amend the soil this Fall/next Spring?

As I've said, I new to seed saving. I picked the dry pods and shelled them. I'm currently drying them out it the open on a covered (towel)plate. How long? The in a jar and store in the refrigerator over the Winter?

I have saved a few seeds for years. I find a tomatoe I like, scrape out the seed and place on a paper towel , let dry and place in enevlope and in a drawer till next year. Same for peppers and okra and corn. My Uncle was a serious seed saver, mostly old family heirlooms. He dried the seed and placed in ziplok bags and in the freezer it goes.

Latest posts

Back