2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's an issue of your soil being too hard, I think it's more to do with adequate moisture and fertility. Big potatoes take a lot of nutrients and water.

The area where I plant potatoes is quite heavy. Heavy enough that I thought I was going to snap my pitchfork handle this fall while I was digging them. I plant potatoes 4-6" deep, hill them once, and that's it. I've always managed to grow nice big potatoes, but I always fertilize them well and irrigate them when needed. Except for this year, I was too busy and didn't notice how dry the garden was getting. Some people may remember my post from a few months ago of wilted strawberries. After that I kept on top of watering but I think that was enough to impact their size, as when I dug them a couple weeks ago they were smaller than normal.
You might have said this before, but what do you fertilize them with?

You might have said this before, but what do you fertilize them with?

I give the area a light coating of 16-16-16 first. I don't want very much nitrogen or you get too much top growth but I want more available nitrogen that what you get in a straight P&K blend. Plus the 16-16-16 has some slow release N. And then I give the area a good coating of 6-24-24

My onions seem to have hardened off fine this year, but last year's didn't store worth a darn. What do you suppose causes it?
these folks might have an answer for you

[email protected] .

https://dixondalefarms.com/faq/
1696140293285.png

I give the area a light coating of 16-16-16 first. I don't want very much nitrogen or you get too much top growth but I want more available nitrogen that what you get in a straight P&K blend. Plus the 16-16-16 has some slow release N. And then I give the area a good coating of 6-24-24
0-20-0 here...

Cold front coming in. should indicate this brutally hot summer is behind us! tied a heat record other day, for the day... prev highest hi was set in 1905! cooler weather will be welcome. but a real nasty storm will accompany the front the tv weather folks are saying heavy REDS! all over. couple hours of heavy rainfall. up to 5" or more... :nofunny:

i hope to get my limas sorted out... quite a few of them are now flowering. brussel and cilantro seeds to the seed pot other day. sugar snaps to go... and my okra will be in-ground prob this weekend... 🤞

1696484826967.png

Picked our first yield of direct seeded, June 1st, 2023, Dr. Martin pole limas. Two five gallon buckets yield and lots and lots of beans still forming. I got a late start this year on Dr. Martin and direct seeded Vs starting in small nursery pots. The black bamboo they are growing up is ten feet tall. That's an above ground swimming pool ladder I'm standing on.

This first photo is from 7-1-2023 and shows the 'Hellis'(Trellis) the beans are growing on. The lima beans are about a foot tall.. The second photo is our first picking and was on 10-3-2023. The Dr Martins are on the far right.

Garden 7-1-2023 005.JPG

IMG_1111.jpg

Picked our first yield of direct seeded, June 1st, 2023, Dr. Martin pole limas. Two five gallon buckets yield and lots and lots of beans still forming. I got a late start this year on Dr. Martin and direct seeded Vs starting in small nursery pots. The black bamboo they are growing up is ten feet tall. That's an above ground swimming pool ladder I'm standing on.

This first photo is from 7-1-2023 and shows the 'Hellis'(Trellis) the beans are growing on. The lima beans are about a foot tall.. The second photo is our first picking and was on 10-3-2023. The Dr Martins are on the far right.

View attachment 1117707

View attachment 1117871
That's a lot of beans all from one picking!

That's a lot of beans all from one picking!

Thank you. As I was picking I was watering with rain water via a hose from a 300 gallon tote and moving it slowing down the row as I picked. The 50ft. row got 100 gallons. I plant the beans in a slight trench and form a basin with a garden hoe. We are cooking the limas and putting them in the freezer. Except what we are eating, of course. I had a 300 gram bowl this afternoon and they should kick in any minute. Excuse me. We hope to get at least two more such pickings.

Back