2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carrot time
IMG_2135.JPG
OK, it's sweet potatoes. But they're only the size of carrots. A few big ones. We had two frosts recently so I dug up the tote raised beds. Disappointing only half a bucket. I'll try in ground next year.

At least these two beds are free and I can now transplant my strawberries. The I can harvest the 2 yr old horseradish and start new shoots in the old strawberry beds. That will free up the spinach beds that the horseradish was in for next Spring.

Has anybody here tried growing jerusalem articokes, or eaten them. I am thinking about planting a few in pots just to see if I might like them.
got the artichokes here growing wild!!!! cant stand the things! tried cooking and mashing them, cant peel the damn odd shaped roots at all. They get 12 feet tall and I guess you are s'posed to chop the sunflower heads off so they put energy into the roots and not waste it on flower heads,----dunno for sure!
prob won't be growing any of them, any time soon! :popcorn2:

Carrot time
IMG_2135.JPG
OK, it's sweet potatoes. But they're only the size of carrots. A few big ones. We had two frosts recently so I dug up the tote raised beds. Disappointing only half a bucket. I'll try in ground next year.

At least these two beds are free and I can now transplant my strawberries. The I can harvest the 2 yr old horseradish and start new shoots in the old strawberry beds. That will free up the spinach beds that the horseradish was in for next Spring.
carrots.... in the making
P1010006.JPG

carrot circle full of carrot seeds. in spl soil. already popping thin greens...

Backyard, I dont know what you got going on, but okra growing after frost is unheard of around here. It must be nice having a growing season long enough to get multiple crops in each year.

I did order a few jerusalem artichokes, should be here in a few days. I'll plant them in some 5gal size pots and put them in the green house my wife just erected on the back porch. I aint sure how well her greenhouse ideal is going to work. Its one of those 5x6 plastic tent deals. She even bought a little electric heater to put inside of it. Her ideal is just to try to save some of her flowers she keeps on the porch. Temps have already dropped to 21f the last few nights. I also decided to order some soft neck garlic. I havent been having real good luck buying garlic blubs at the grocery store. I think they must be treated, a few will always grow, but most dont.

Backyard, I dont know what you got going on, but okra growing after frost is unheard of around here. It must be nice having a growing season long enough to get multiple crops in each year.
hi ms -

we get two growing seasons down here in Grow Zone 9. and, i had those thots this afternoon! okra this time of year. early November! 85 today, 84 tomorrow! but then, when early November/Fall is all but same as late summer... well, u get the idea.

and... as a matter of fact just this afternoon... i noticed my okra patch was finally sending out its first flower! should be full bloom in a couple of days. and have 6 or so close behind. for soon to be flowering, too. pods make flowers, flowers make okra. okra makes gumbo! here, ck it out...

today:
P1010001.JPG

half dozen more like this:
P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

fussed about in my garden this afternoon. 4 pm ish. center hoops gone. pulled them and on L, too. made some raised beds. put peas-n-pots bush peas in center, put hoops with okra/sugar snaps. planted english peas in L row. replaced hoops. both new rows mulch covered like one on R. fixed my garden hose end. temp solution for water to garden. and so watered in the new rows. and tended to all areas currently planted adding a seed here n there, etc. okra left to fend on its own after frost. as affected leaves still have green, so maybe will make food for plant. 🤞 some have fallen off, smaller. new leaf growth continues to show up... H-H was a busy time in the garden today....

Lost my fall garden to the hard frost when I was in the hospital. Put the beds to rest for the winter with a nice thick blanket.

View attachment 1125786
hi Bp -

sorry to hear! i been worried! a lot of fussing around and then to loose it! 👎 but our summer a scorcher! and no one wanted to work out in or under the relentless hot sun! and i did not think the plants did, either!

here is what the frost other morning did to my okra and limas... overall, things are sustaining and growing. some fresh limas won't be too long now. got some nice sized pods and they are getting bigger and fatter. i find more n more daily! gobs of flowers. oodles of small baby pods developiong. plants getting a steady watering now that they are fruiting... water gentle and at the stem at bed level. they seem to be responding well to the side dressing of 12.5-18-12.5 i gave 'em about 10 days ago...

frost bit limas
P1010029.JPG
P1010030.JPG

frost bit okra (above)

no-leaks-now garden wand serviced, overhauled and back in business...
P1010006.JPG

P1010033.JPG

lots of these and plenty getting bigger. loads of flowers. gave set out handful of lima seeds to start new plants in-ground to fill in what few are slow. even though potted month or so back. and some of the new lima seeds put in 4-5 days ago now 6-7" tall, leafing... and on their way. "katie by the door, git oudda my way!" lol few more today, too.

overall, we are on a good course...

"weeds, seeds to feeds at the table!'

fussed about in my garden this afternoon. 4 pm ish. center hoops gone. pulled them and on L, too. made some raised beds. put peas-n-pots bush peas in center, put hoops with okra/sugar snaps. planted english peas in L row. replaced hoops. both new rows mulch covered like one on R. fixed my garden hose end. temp solution for water to garden. and so watered in the new rows. and tended to all areas currently planted adding a seed here n there, etc. okra left to fend on its own after frost. as affected leaves still have green, so maybe will make food for plant. 🤞 some have fallen off, smaller. new leaf growth continues to show up... H-H was a busy time in the garden today....
peas n pots peas

Compact variety that grows well in containers and pots. Custom-bred for containers and small space gardens, Peas-in-a-Pot is a petite 10" plant that produces a yield a pea plant four times its size would be proud of. Grow in an 8" diameter pot on a sunny balcony, deck or patio.

1699343238256.png

carrots.... in the making
View attachment 1124875
carrot circle full of carrot seeds. in spl soil. already popping thin greens...
P1010027.JPG

few days ago, carrot circle in a pot starting to look like a green carpet. should do well. i will go for about a 60-day harvest time. maybe sooner to thin if necessary. that should let the carrots be their sweetest... 60/65 days

i have lots of carrot seeds. several varieties. even globe. but would like to try some tendersweets. seems they mite be, aside from one of sweetest carrots, ideal for carrot circles....
Tendersweet Carrot Seeds – Botanical Interests

What are tender sweet carrots?

'Tendersweet' is an impressively long, slender, and nearly coreless imperator-type carrot, with a super sweet flavor that's excellent raw or cooked. Its deep orange-red color will remain after being steamed, baked, or frozen. Gather them together for a beautifully tapered orange bunch with dazzling green tops.

'Tendersweet' is an impressively long, slender
1699344086484.png

carrots do well down here in GZ 9 during fall growing season

Amazon has them $12/pkt. but... 900 seeds. thinking that mite be enuff carrots for me! lol...
1699344771224.png

use my A-z CC points and get the packet for $-0-, or just a couple bux....

there are better deals out there, like 1500 for $2.99... but for -0- is hard to beat!!! 🤩

few days ago, carrot circle in a pot starting to look like a green carpet. should do well. i will go for about a 60-day harvest time. maybe sooner to thin if necessary. that should let the carrots be their sweetest... 60/65 days

i have lots of carrot seeds. several varieties. even globe. but would like to try some tendersweets. seems they mite be, aside from one of sweetest carrots, ideal for carrot circles....
Tendersweet Carrot Seeds – Botanical Interests

What are tender sweet carrots?

'Tendersweet' is an impressively long, slender, and nearly coreless imperator-type carrot, with a super sweet flavor that's excellent raw or cooked. Its deep orange-red color will remain after being steamed, baked, or frozen. Gather them together for a beautifully tapered orange bunch with dazzling green tops.

'Tendersweet' is an impressively long, slender
View attachment 1125826

carrots do well down here in GZ 9 during fall growing season

Amazon has them $12/pkt. but... 900 seeds. thinking that mite be enuff carrots for me! lol...
View attachment 1125831

use my A-z CC points and get the packet for $-0-, or just a couple bux....

there are better deals out there, like 1500 for $2.99... but for -0- is hard to beat!!! 🤩
at one Texas-based seed co can get 1/4 oz tdr sweet carrots ( 5,750 seeds approx) $4.35 pkt

or 1 oz (23,000 seeds approx) 23K seeds?? :surprised3: $6.20! hmmm 🤔

23,000 carrot seeds, now that is a lot of carrots!
1699346753162.png

or 1# for $30. (368,000 seeds!)

or 5#s for $127.60 ( 1,849,000 seeds)
and that makes a really big carrot garden....

1699347007009.png

with a 1/32nd oz pkt at $ 2.55 (720 or so seeds)

prob go with 1/4 oz even though its an over-kill!. just a better buy. 5,000 more seeds for an add'l $1.80 or so... some for the garden and some to give away to friends, etc. 👍

peas n pots peas

Compact variety that grows well in containers and pots. Custom-bred for containers and small space gardens, Peas-in-a-Pot is a petite 10" plant that produces a yield a pea plant four times its size would be proud of. Grow in an 8" diameter pot on a sunny balcony, deck or patio.

View attachment 1125823
As the years go by, more and more of my garden is grown in containers. I usually grow Little Marvel peas, I wonder how they'd do in a container?

Back