2100cd milling problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwoller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So after milling a couple hundred board feet my 2100cd started getting really easy to bog down. It was making a scratching noise in the clutch area. Like I said it started bogging easy and i had to use a very soft touch to keep cutting. What could be the problem? I can post pics if that helps but let me know what to take pics of. The compression is still great, better then any saw i own but if any preassure was put on it then it would bog down and make the scratching noise.

So after milling a couple hundred board feet my 2100cd started getting really easy to bog down. It was making a scratching noise in the clutch area. Like I said it started bogging easy and i had to use a very soft touch to keep cutting. What could be the problem? I can post pics if that helps but let me know what to take pics of. The compression is still great, better then any saw i own but if any preassure was put on it then it would bog down and make the scratching noise.

Pictures are always a help.

What size bar are you using and do you have a nose oilier on your mill? If your bar is getting hot and not getting enough oil it will create more friction causing the the saw to work harder and slow the motor down. Also be sure to not tensioned the chain too tight.

My .50 cents worth.
jerry-

This is out of left field but when was the last time you cleaned and greased your clutch bearing?

Good maintenance point BobL.
I do however doubt that this will be the problem unless grease has made it's way onto the friction surfaces of drum and shoe thus causing slippage, (of course if something else is caused slippage a dry bearing could cause the noise but this should present at idle to some degree also).

Does the engine seem to still run fast and strong or is it dying away?

Having had just about everything happen to my clutch on my 066. I don't think twice about tearing it down and taking a look. Most of my problems have been the opposite of yours where the clutch sticks and the chain won't stop running. I'd take it to your dealer and see what they say if your not comfortable taking it apart yourself.

Like I said it started bogging easy and i had to use a very soft touch to keep cutting.
First off, when a saw acts like something is wrong, you need to call it a day and tear into the saw.

The bogging problems sounds like the engine is weak. I would give the entire engine and fuel system a good going over before running it again.

I havent greased the bearing since I've owned it which is about 6 months with very little use.

The engine is running fine but the sprocket area make a strange noise and the chain stops spinning if too much pressure is put on the saw. There arent too many service techs around here that I trust any more then myself.

I'll tear it down tonight and get some pictures up.

Here is a picture of the outside of the clutch.

DSC03298.jpg

The cylinder and piston look good and there is still a ton of compression.
I'm trying to get the clutch assembly off now. I have a rope holding the piston but cant get the nut to budge. Any suggestions?

Here is a picture of the outside of the clutch.

DSC03298.jpg

The cylinder and piston look good and there is still a ton of compression.
I'm trying to get the clutch assembly off now. I have a rope holding the piston but cant get the nut to budge. Any suggestions?
Just be aware that it's a left hand thread -- clockwise to loosen the nut. It's not supposed to be easy to break loose.

I have no reason to believe that anything is wrong with your clutch. You said the engine would bog easily in the cut and required a soft touch -- clutch would not cause that, engine problems would.

Yes, there was the scatchy noise mystery, but I'd be more worried about the lack of power.

Guess there could be something binding or dragging -- oil pump, maybe. Might as well pull the clutch and check it out.

THis thing isnt coming off. I tryed the wrench, a chisel and its not budging. I'm turning right/clockwise with a piston stop in it. What else can I do?

Try an impact wrench. Just short bursts. Be carefull not to twist the shaft in two.

I dont have one but maybe I can pick one up tomorrow. Would a 150lb compressor run one?

If you're going to get an impact tomorrow, spray a little wd40 on the nut/shaft and let it soak all night.

I'll put some wd on her and put her bed for the night before I break something.

SO its a little late for tuning this saw in the neighborhood but what rpm should I set the high at? I ussually tune by ear but have a tach now and would like to really dial the saw in.

Latest posts

Back