Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Forrest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I found an old 2101 saw on Craigslist. Basically a power head. No chain, bar, or cover that holds the bar on.
I have a 385xp. Would the 2101 be a step up? Or minimal peer gain and alot of weight gain?
Considering the price I may get it just to try porting...
thanks for the input.

That's why I asked. I know nothing about that saw. just windeed to know if it was worth the investment. I haven't looked to see if you can get a kit for it. Or even a replacement. I didn't know how they rank with the 385 or bigger saws.

That's why I asked. I know nothing about that saw. just windeed to know if it was worth the investment. I haven't looked to see if you can get a kit for it. Or even a replacement. I didn't know how they rank with the 385 or bigger saws.

Clearly.

A 2101 is a big, heavy, classic logger's machine. It's easier to get your chickens to grow teeth than it can be to find some parts.

'Trying' porting on a 2101 is kinda like having an original AC Cobra and 'trying' to improve it.

That's the info I was asking for. So basically if there is something messed up in it I could be screwed.
Exactly.

A few years ago they were more plentiful, along with the earlier 2100CD. However, word got out about how classic Bad A## they are, Poof! The supply of parts dried up, and the cost of decent saws went way up.

I doubt you would notice a performance improvement over a 385 unless you were in seriously long-bar territory. The two series arguably got about as much stock performance as you can out of a dual port setup. A "modern" quad port cylinder will make more power per cc. I'd buy it just for the sound

If it has good compression, and you can pick it up for a reasonable price, yes it is a worthwhile endeavor. Many of the smaller parts, and some of the larger parts are common to the 285-2101 series.

I doubt you would notice a performance improvement over a 385 unless you were in seriously long-bar territory. The two series arguably got about as much stock performance as you can out of a dual port setup. A "modern" quad port cylinder will make more power per cc. I'd buy it just for the sound

Yeah, it would sound "sweet", once your wife got it started for you.

The guy is firm at 150 for it. So... hence the reason I thought of porting It.

If in fact it has good compression then don't ask questions, just buy it.
I wouldn't use it as a learning experience for porting. It's too valuable for that an you would easily get your money back out of it if you flipped it. Matter of fact I'm betting you have at least one offer already for it and you haven't bought it yet. What are you waiting for? Move your ass! LoL if you can tell I'd be beating the guys door down at that price. They make good mill saws...

Haha. IF you find a New old stock (NOS) piston and cylinder you could expect to pay $3-500 for one. I'm sure aftermarket gasket kits are available as well as bearing and crank seals. Things like hoses and o-rings get scarce.

If it needs rebuild then the cylinder probably isn't in good condition.

Back