2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
believe it or not that 2100 gets used in the 100cc class competitions and does a mighty fine job. that there 2100 screams :)

Not a macho or Pride thing, Muscle saws are my go to saws. Because time is always of the essence, and so happens big wood has been the normal for some years. My saws of choice, pull chips at will.

Not a macho or Pride thing, Muscle saws are my go to saws. Because time is always of the essence, and so happens big wood has been the normal for some years. My saws of choice, pull chips at will.

Which saw do you find yourself grabbing first out of the truck, the 2100 or the 288, does either have a performance advantage over the other in wood 36"?

I have been trying to alternate em Jim. Toss up, I hate the 36 in bar on the 395, so not been using it much. I'll tell you what that 288 is a pleasure to run, and does not lack any power. I still use em all.

298/2100CD starter dogs?

Hi Guys
I have found a problem with my flywheel starter dogs.
First one is an ebay special for upgrading my second version 298 to the 3rd rev-298/2101XP 3 dog version.
Second is on the 1984 2100CD I just got from dozerdan. Four of the six pins are not tight in the flywheels and were working their way out.
Is this common?..... Do you just red loctite, pound them back in, and go? Are the "repair" kits shown in the 2100 IPL's obtainable and are they oversize?

And for the bonus round......
What does CD mean? How is it different from XP?
thanks

Last edited:
I almost forgot to post this 2100 that I finished a few weeks ago. This is how they should have came from the factory!

[video=youtube;biLq1NXY00A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLq1NXY00A[/video]

I was scrolling back through some of these pages, a guy could get lost in here. Forgot about your link Greg, and good stuff! Thought I would put it back up for anybody in need.
Dynodave, that is above my head, have not heard of those issues, as of yet. Not sure if you had the PDf so here it is in case. Wicked saw on the video! Shaun! Aaron good to see ya, hows your project coming?

HI NORM!

I'll need to get pictures of the "super light weight" 2100.

It has the worst case of white death you have seen. all that corrosion sure did make it lose a few pounds though!

I knew it looked bad, but pictures did it no real justice. Sadly the chrome plating was pitted as well,,,,,,,,bummer!

I almost forgot to post this 2100 that I finished a few weeks ago. This is how they should have came from the factory!

[video=youtube;biLq1NXY00A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLq1NXY00A[/video]

That is a Real good sounding 2100 !!!!!!! . Not quite as violent as the 2101 that I had. It was a Madsen's hot rod w/ dual port muffler. But still yours sounds
Awesome.

Which one???

Dynodave, that is above my head, have not heard of those issues, as of yet. Not sure if you had the PDf so here it is in case. Wicked saw on the video! Shaun! Aaron good to see ya, hows your project coming?

All saw stuff is on hold for the moment. Cleaning out the shop and getting rid of left over junk from the house and garage. Lots of stuff was left over from our move. My folks lived here for 30+ years, then moved to a smaller place in town. We moved in here and are renting from them. They left a ton of stuff, and we brought tons more when we moved in. Lotsa boxes of junk. Sorting out the 'good stuff' and donating or chucking the rest. Filling a dumpster...

2100CD is still soaking in oil and awaiting teardown for bearings and seals replacement.

288XP has the needed parts (gasket set and some other bits) sitting next to it, and is just waiting for all the 'good stuff' to be stripped from the bad cases and installed on the good cases. That'll take an evening.

Got a Mac project all torn down and waiting for parts to come in.

Crank seals for your buddy's little red bastard came in. Will tear it down and swap those in soon. I want to get that damn thing out of here.:D

All saw stuff is on hold for the moment. Cleaning out the shop and getting rid of left over junk from the house and garage. Lots of stuff was left over from our move. My folks lived here for 30+ years, then moved to a smaller place in town. We moved in here and are renting from them. They left a ton of stuff, and we brought tons more when we moved in. Lotsa boxes of junk. Sorting out the 'good stuff' and donating or chucking the rest. Filling a dumpster...

2100CD is still soaking in oil and awaiting teardown for bearings and seals replacement.

288XP has the needed parts (gasket set and some other bits) sitting next to it, and is just waiting for all the 'good stuff' to be stripped from the bad cases and installed on the good cases. That'll take an evening.

Got a Mac project all torn down and waiting for parts to come in.

Crank seals for your buddy's little red bastard came in. Will tear it down and swap those in soon. I want to get that damn thing out of here.:D

I've been waiting patiently to see that 288 cut wood Aaron :msp_mad:............:laugh:..............:cheers: naw i suppose i can wait a lil longer :)

I've been waiting patiently to see that 288 cut wood Aaron :msp_mad:............:laugh:..............:cheers: naw i suppose i can wait a lil longer :)

So have I Shane. It's even harder to wait now that I have the parts. Just gotta get the spare time to do the 'strip and swap'. Norm's bud's saw is ahead of it. After that little #### is done the 288XP will get the attention it needs. Only have a 28" B/C for it now. Longer bar is in the future for it however...:D

So have I Shane. It's even harder to wait now that I have the parts. Just gotta get the spare time to do the 'strip and swap'. Norm's bud's saw is ahead of it. After that little #### is done the 288XP will get the attention it needs. Only have a 28" B/C for it now. Longer bar is in the future for it however...:D

I'd say a 28 on a 288 is a sweet combo :cheers: although it will take bigger :)

HI NORM!

I'll need to get pictures of the "super light weight" 2100.

It has the worst case of white death you have seen. all that corrosion sure did make it lose a few pounds though!

I knew it looked bad, but pictures did it no real justice. Sadly the chrome plating was pitted as well,,,,,,,,bummer!
Good to see u buddy! And The Tramp bushler, man been a coons age! Sorry to hear of the white death on the 2100. Shane I am waiting for Aaron to get that 288 rolling too. I am excited! Aaron project I meant was the 2100, glad it is still soaking smart move.

Back